Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    Yeah, I agree that her behavior is not normal, but she was abused and lost her innocence at a very young age, so that must have contributed to it. Still, I have this uncanny feeling that the adults have put the words in her mouth -- like how she knew exactly how her dad used to abuse her, and how well she responded to 'suggestions' by the interviewer and ended up agreeing to everything he said -- it's like the adults pieced together her story and then told it to her so that it formed part of her self-perception (e.g. "You were abused so you are now messed up and bad")

I know there must be some elements of truth that started off the whole thing, but maybe there is nothing especially 'evil' about her -- only the fact that she is intelligent and articulate enough to be coherent in the interview. And to be honest I'm a bit suspicious of the seemingly miraculous cure at the end.

I still don't think she killed the baby birds, since she doesn't remember anything about it. If anything, it could have been an accident and she was too little to understand what was going on. I believe she took the knives and I believe she had every intention of hurting her brother. My friend was repeatedly beaten up by her older sister when she was young, and she would say things like how she wished her sister was dead, and that was from a relatively 'normal' family. I understand why Beth would feel this rage to hurt the world, but I don't think she's close to being a cold-blooded murderer.

However, I totally agree she needed therapy. If she was 6 when they shot the documentary in 1989 that makes her around my age now. Wiki says she is currently doing well and is working as a nurse. If that's the case then I'm happy for her.

Anyway, again this is pure speculation based on nothing
    She discusses her plans for cruelty or death so calmly, this is the trait of the psychopath or sociopath.

She's 6, she's not crying or screaming or acting awkwardly, she's straight forwardly telling you how she's going to stab people in the night.

I'm so touched that everyone here is so compassionate, but I almost feel like I'm so compassionate that I'm also overly sensitive to cruelty, and this kid is NOT normal.

This is not "oh I'm so sad or angry I want to hurt Daddy." This is so cold, it's weird.

That's how psychopaths are, because of abnormally high serotonin. It's been linked "officially" to ASPD.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Well there was a lot of mention of her physically abusing her brother and causing him much pain. There was also the basement incident where she aparently repeatedly hit his head on the concrete... i think it said he was bleeding and had to go to the hospital... not entirely sure.

I believe everytime she hurt anyone she was reinacting herself being hurt... reliving the trauma. I have seen this happen irl... becomming stuck in the reinactment and loosing control.

Obviously i do not advocate this, it's terribly dangerous and her poor brother. There should be a way of her letting this go without harming others as fia?someone? said earlier. If it could be reinacted in a safe way and the ending could be measured and someone could explain to her what is happening and talk through the process... i'm not an expert but it feels like the right direction.
    Yeah I'd like to know about her brother too and I think not focusing on his own abuse at her hands is a bit sick.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    They can figure out how to get away with so much more. It enables them to be the one who manipulates and harms others. Who could do more damage over a lifetime: a psychopathic thug or psychiatrist?
    Perhaps, I would say that they harm the same amount of people only that they are different people and the harm is of a different order perhaps.

Most of the damaged people who go around hurting others are pathetic in my experience and not very intelligent, I knew one who insisted on using words he didnt know the meaning of and wouldnt be corrected about it either, the same individuals are totally dependent upon people being unwary, unsuspecting and the fact that most people are conditioned to respond to truly horrendous acts by thinking "did they? No, no that's that possible, could they? No", no one wants to believe it when they first guess it, usually because most acts of violence or harm are from people that are known to the target and not complete strangers.

Predatory types are also desperate and compulsive types, the sorts of thought and focus that would go into policing them or catching them is something they would find pretty flattering and which would fufil some of their needs, what the rest of the population are left to decide is whether they are going to do that, for most people its a lot of work and by the point at which they've realised they dont have much choice in the matter if they want to remain safe they'll already have survived a number of actions by the same individuals.

Sometimes I think the viking traditions of outlawing people, meaning that outlaws do not have protection of the law and are enemies of the people and anyone who wants to kill them can, seems like a good idea.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    My niece is Aspie and has exceptionally LARGE eyes.

She's the one on the left (both are nieces but left has Aspergers). There's not a shred of cruelty or deadness in her eyes.

Your daughter does not have eyes like Beth, either.

I am sensitive to your pain, but honestly feel like you and Ivy are projecting something on to this that just does not exist.
    I'm not in pain marm, i feel truely blessed. I do get cross that the world has not yet caught up but maybe that's what you meant.

Regarding Beth I wasn't making a judgement call either way but i think you were and that was what i was unsure about. You seemed to have decided bluntly that this was and is a sick individual who can't be helped. I tend to view these things differently and i do not believe it's projecting.

I do think having children with special needs has taught me patience and to observe more before judging (in some situations anyway) but i don't think thats the same as projecting here.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I found a site discussing the documentary and it was interesting to see similar threads of thought running through. Even the discoveries and timeline of it... very interesting... the conclusions drawn were similar too and all the info found... anyway here

http://www.reddit.com/r/Documentarie...st_disturbing/

The only (questionable) evidence i saw that was new (if actually Beth) was thsi...

http://www.justmugshots.com/indiana/richmond/103587

I'm not convinced it's her though, those eyes do not appear to be blue and i have a feeling the documentary was not in Indiana... but close enough to post.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I have found out some more info on Nancy Thomas (Beth's 2nd adoptive mother)...here...

http://www.attachment.org/nancy-thomas/

Also she is still practising as of 2012...

http://www.respiteretreat.org/Who-is-Nancy-Thomas.html

Will try and find the radio show if i can

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I have found out some more info on Nancy Thomas (Beth's 2nd adoptive mother)...here...

http://www.attachment.org/nancy-thomas/

Also she is still practising as of 2012...

http://www.respiteretreat.org/Who-is-Nancy-Thomas.html

Will try and find the radio show if i can

EDit: Seems no archives are to be found, you can only buy the cd of the radio sessions now.

EDIT 2:... I did find this recent youtube vid on Nancy Thomas... if i was stateside i might call that number (If not a premium rate number)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    I'm not in pain marm, i feel truely blessed. I do get cross that the world has not yet caught up but maybe that's what you meant.

Regarding Beth I wasn't making a judgement call either way but i think you were and that was what i was unsure about. You seemed to have decided bluntly that this was and is a sick individual who can't be helped. I tend to view these things differently and i do not believe it's projecting.

I do think having children with special needs has taught me patience and to observe more before judging (in some situations anyway) but i don't think thats the same as projecting here.
    I'm just going to pretend I posted this, is that okay? I'm not in pain- my son is amazing. I get irritated with people who have preconceived notions, that's all. Having him has helped me tune in to people who are "off" in some way and be more compassionate and less quick to jump to conclusions about their character.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

You know, some of the discussion in this thread just now made me think of Tracy Morgan. "That goat has devil eyes!"
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    You know, some of the discussion in this thread just now made me think of Tracy Morgan. "That goat has devil eyes!"
    OMG! That is EXACTLY what has been going through my head. Is it great minds or simple minds that think alike?