• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Problems Concentrating

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does anybody else have this problem?

J/k.

I mean, if you want to discuss your own problem with focusing attention, that's fine. I just want to point out that I am having a difficult time concentrating on things these days. This gives me more of a Sensor appearance than I used to have online, when I used to write those longish essays. So if you write anything longish as well as jargonish, chances are I won't (be able to) read it all the way through.

Lately, when I call somewhere with a phone tree option that I have to listen through, I can't concentrate long enough for the option I need. Either I completely space out the voice over the phone, or I just hang up. My solution to this has been to hold the phone far away enough from my ear so that I have to concentrate on it in order to hear the recording.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does anybody else have this problem?

J/k.

I mean, if you want to discuss your own problem with focusing attention, that's fine. I just want to point out that I am having a difficult time concentrating on things these days. This gives me more of a Sensor appearance than I used to have online, when I used to write those longish essays. So if you write anything longish as well as jargonish, chances are I won't (be able to) read it all the way through.

Lately, when I call somewhere with a phone tree option that I have to listen through, I can't concentrate long enough for the option I need. Either I completely space out the voice over the phone, or I just hang up. My solution to this has been to hold the phone far away enough from my ear so that I have to concentrate on it in order to hear the recording.

I dunno, you don't even seem to be reading your own OPs, so I would say you have a problem. I'd like to give some advice, but you didn't ask for it, so you might think it's off topic.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dunno, you don't even seem to be reading your own OPs, so I would say you have a problem. I'd like to give some advice, but you didn't ask for it, so you might think it's off topic.

I just responded to the comment you're referring to.

Yes, I know what the OP was about. Nobody else does.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

He wouldn't be concentrating enough to read that anyhow.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
yeah, I can relate.
Are you feeling unwell in some way? Getting enough sleep? Virus? Old illness coming back?
There are many things that can cause this.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I put a note of a personal nature on this forum, and I'm already paying for it.

Alright I apologise. Yes concentration is a problem area for many people and I include myself there too, so I sympathise somewhat despite my cruel joke.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright I apologise. Yes concentration is a problem area for many people and I include myself there too, so I sympathise somewhat despite my cruel joke.

Ah yes, you did mention that problem once upon a time. Apology accepted, fellow sufferer.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Ah yes, you did mention that problem once upon a time. Apology accepted, fellow sufferer.

I actually find your tactic for dealing with telephone trees quite inventive, I ought to try that out since I need to ring HM Revenue tomorrow.

I'm also working for a lady at the moment who is partially deaf, so I have to concentrate twice as hard when speaking so that she understands what I'm saying.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i DON'T have problems concentrating, i can concentrate like a mofo cat catching a bird but i do have problems paying attention and am easily distracted. Maybe you no longer care :shrug:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i DON'T have problems concentrating, i can concentrate like a mofo cat catching a bird but i do have problems paying attention and am easily distracted. Maybe you no longer care :shrug:

I think concentrating is the same as paying attention, right? Or maybe I lost the thought somewhere along the way...

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
[MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION] Do you ever have to concentrate intensely on something in an extremely detailed manner?

For example as I've said many times one of my hobbies is painting miniatures and it can be very difficult for me to stick to task when painting, usually I have several different projects on the go at once so once my attention wanes I can jump to another. Of course over time I have become better at focusing on one at a time, not sure if doing this actually helps my concentration or not though.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I can have issues with this.. it especially sucks reading a page in my textbook, only to realize I don't know anything about what I just read. I can't even tell you the topics on the paragraphs. So I end up taking a long time studying just because I have to re-read a lot.

If it's written stuff, writing it down usually helps even though that's annoying. With vocal stuff, I usually try to figure out if I can ask a question on the topic, and that helps me stay on track. If it's details, I try to make something up so that I can memorize the details.. like a routine of sorts.

There's actually tons of information out there for ADD/ADHD people on concentration methods.. those guys probably know how to deal with this better than I would.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can have issues with this.. it especially sucks reading a page in my textbook, only to realize I don't know anything about what I just read. I can't even tell you the topics on the paragraphs. So I end up taking a long time studying just because I have to re-read a lot.

If it's written stuff, writing it down usually helps even though that's annoying. With vocal stuff, I usually try to figure out if I can ask a question on the topic, and that helps me stay on track. If it's details, I try to make something up so that I can memorize the details.. like a routine of sorts.

There's actually tons of information out there for ADD/ADHD people on concentration methods.. those guys probably know how to deal with this better than I would.

When I was in elementary school, I could memorize the contents of the blackboard and write it all down while all the other students' heads were bobbing up and down from blackboard to paper. I would then proceed to correct the teacher's spelling and grammar mistakes.

Now... I'm just a spelling/grammar nazi with a shitty memory who can't concentrate.