• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The psychological profile of a regular member of TypeC

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
What's the point of any thread?

I didn't mind the OP. I think there's a good deal of truth in it. We should take note of some of these things. This community and INTPc are both somewhat insular in the type of person they attract.

I do think, however, that the OP comes with a certain perspective I might disagree with, and that is believing that there is some world out there where people aren't generally fucked up in various ways. These forums happen to be a nice place to have discussions with many features that real life communication doesn't even offer, and there is nothing wrong with or abnormal about the fact that some similar people have congregated together to form a distinct group that does not share the characteristics of the mainstream. Every group must have its own personality, with strengths and weaknesses.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't mind the OP. I think there's a good deal of truth in it. We should take note of some of these things. This community and INTPc are both somewhat insular in the type of person they attract.

Oh, there's definite truth to that, and I might have written some of the same comments if I had just been looking to do a character assassination of the forum.

The ironic part is that it's just the slanted SOS he typically posts under the guise of objectivity after blowing in after months/years of non-participation, sniping at the forum and then ducking again -- all in the context that my occasional interactions with him elsewhere show he's no more mature socially than the people he's habitually contemptuous of.

But hey, that's what makes this such a circus, I suppose...

These forums happen to be a nice place to have discussions with many features that real life communication doesn't even offer, and there is nothing wrong with or abnormal about the fact that some similar people have congregated together to form a distinct group that does not share the characteristics of the mainstream. Every group must have its own personality, with strengths and weaknesses.

I agree that this could be alleviated a bit just by a basic understanding of group dynamics.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Huh. Didn't realize this was part of a trend.

The reason why I asked what the point was, [MENTION=4489]zago[/MENTION], was that it wasn't constructive at all. Figured he was either bitching or trolling, and, like Jen said, doing so under the guise of useful, objective criticism.

G

Ginkgo

[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] Yeah, he's just as subject to the criticism he's doling out as anyone who it actually applies to. But if you call him out on that, he just insists that you're not on the same page with him and that your claim is irrelevant. It's total trash, brought to you by SW's self-loathing.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The ironic part is that it's just the slanted SOS he typically posts under the guise of objectivity after blowing in after months/years of non-participation, sniping at the forum and then ducking again --

Thanks, Jen. The speculation is interesting, but in my opinion, inaccurate. I am not ducking from anything, so if you or anybody else would like to "assassinate" my character, you're more than welcome to. Although it is true, as you've observed, that I may not be there to respond to much of this but that's because the forum is no longer an important part of my life. Not because I am staying away form this site to avoid people who'd like to get back at me for ruffling their feathers.

all in the context that my occasional interactions with him elsewhere show he's no more mature socially than the people he's habitually contemptuous of.

You have your reasons for saying that. After all, you've met four years ago and the conclusions you've drawn have a basis in some of the observations you may have made back then. However, I was still a regular member at the time, so the distinction between myself and the type of a person I've described in the OP does not make much sense. In short, one of the reasons I know so much about our average regular forum user is because I've been one for years and that's the person you're expecting me to be now. Nonetheless, I haven't been a regular member here for a long time, so much may have changed since you've last met me, just some food for thought.

[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] Yeah, he's just as subject to the criticism he's doling out as anyone who it actually applies to. But if you call him out on that, he just insists that you're not on the same page with him and that your claim is irrelevant. It's total trash, brought to you by SW's self-loathing.

I suppose it is self-loathing, or some other motive you want to ascribe to me. Go on and believe that, if that's what makes you feel better about yourself as a regular forum user. After all, all of us who have ever posted here on a regular basis have been looking for comforting illusions that could preserve our self-congratulatory beliefs about who we are and derogatory points of views about types of people whom we blamed for whatever problems we had.

Thankfully, I don't live in that world anymore, but who am I to tell you that you should not either. Carry on.

Here are my observations:

- They tend to sport an avatar depicting some gentleman with a muscular physique. Many of these avatars are not pictures of the members themselves. Members who in fact are muscular and have posted "real" pictures are simply seeking validation.
- They splurge on candy and other sweets. Many are invalids who physically cannot leave their houses, and so must spend the majority of their time on this forum.
- They grip spoons and pencils like cavemen, as they have never bothered to learn a modicum of proper etiquette.
- They have been permabanned from the forum more than once, indicating that they completely lack tact and understanding.
- They write theses and complete books on the subject of typology. They love to hear themselves talk--but only over the Internet, as talking to others in real life without mumbling or gazing at their own shoes is a foreign concept to them.
- Oddly enough, in stark contrast to the trait above, they have never read any posts by other members that relate to typology.
- They have not been to outer space, nor would they even attempt to go.

Feel free to add to this list.

Although I appreciate the humor of your parody of my post, most regular users have not written books or theses on typology. Other than that and your odd remark that most regular members have been permabanned at least once, your list is looking pretty good.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=14179]SolitaryWalker[/MENTION]: So, if Jen's wrong, then what's the real reason for this thread? Are you trying to enlighten the forum, or something? To save them from themselves and learn from your mistakes (back when you shared the traits from the OP)?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=14179]SolitaryWalker[/MENTION]: So, if Jen's wrong, then what's the real reason for this thread? Are you trying to enlighten the forum, or something? To save them from themselves and learn from your mistakes (back when you shared the traits from the OP)?

No, I am not trying to enlighten anyone anymore, I've learned that lesson and it has spared me a great deal of time and frustration: if people want to believe that MBTI is full of opportunities for personal growth and rich insights into human nature, I'll make no attempt to dissuade them from doing that. I started this thread for amusement's sake, nothing more.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No, I am not trying to enlighten anyone anymore, I've learned that lesson and it has spared me a great deal of time and effort. I started this thread for amusement's sake, nothing more.
Ah! Trollin'. :tongue: Ginkgo was right after all.

Carry on, then!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks, Jen. The speculation is interesting, but in my opinion, inaccurate. I am not ducking from anything, so if you or anybody else would like to "assassinate" my character, you're more than welcome to. Although it is true, as you've observed, that I may not be there to respond to much of this but that's because the forum is no longer an important part of my life. Not because I am staying away form this site to avoid people who'd like to get back at me for ruffling their feathers.

I have no interest in "assassinating" your character, don't really consider myself a "regular member" here in the way I used to be (I spend more time elsewhere), and find it amusing that you show up out of the blue to simply toss a grenade and then disappear again. What is the purpose?

Nothing constructive that I can imagine, nothing rational that I can see.

At least if you were still a participating member, one could assume you'd perhaps be trying to make the forum a better place. However, it mostly just comes across as self-justification for your own decision to step away.

I haven't read the other responses you might have written in this thread, so....

You have your reasons for saying that. After all, you've met four years ago and the conclusions you've drawn have a basis in some of the observations you may have made back then.

I'm actually including the conversations we've had in the intervening time, elsewhere, where your responses did not seem any more mature than what I saw in the OP. Big brain, small heart; you typically had trouble having realistic expectations for people. It is what it is. People all have different approaches to life, and not all are wrong, they're just different.

Honestly, whatever. The whole thing is kind of irrelevant. Just note that I find your thread rather ironic, and let it go at that. I don't care to invest more in it.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll answer to these. I have a lot of posts & SW thinks I'm stupid (along with all INFPs), so I might be a good candidate to compare with the OP.

-They have escapist tendencies and try to use this website as a sanctuary from the problems of real-life they deem to be overwhelming.

I think most people use their leisure entertainment in that manner, and that's certainly what this site is to me - entertainement. I wouldn't say I have escapist tendencies, because I very much face my real life problems as productively as I can reasonably manage.

I don't watch TV or play video/online games or whatever else other people do for leisure relaxation, so online discussion of pseudo-psychology is my time-waster of choice.

-They generally have poor interpersonal communication skills, have very few friends and if they happen to be outgoing, most people in their social network see them as tactless, self-absorbed and annoying.

I am shy and have struggled with mild social anxiety since childhood, yes. But I have a lot of great friends & family who have openly expressed that they like & care for me.

-They have been diagnosed with a personality disorder that compounds their troubles relating to people. Commonly, such disorders are that of anxiety, depression or ADHD. The frequent users who do not have a personality disorder are often deeply disturbed or traumatized to the point where they struggle to find their niche outside of the forum.

No, not at all.

-They are generally not well-educated and do not enjoy doing intellectual work in their spare time, albeit they'll try hard to seem as intelligent as possible on this forum. They read very little and their critical thinking skills are quite weak, so they resort to making ridiculous typological stereotypes and remain unaware of the obvious problems with their statements.

This is your own bias... which is to write people off as unintelligent & mentally lazy because they aren't just like you. A lot of ideas expressed here are humorous &/or using typology terminology in metaphorical way, not literally. You're too serious.

I'm not even going to compare myself to this. It says more about you than anyone here.

-They typically have a very low self-esteem and therefore cannot come to terms with who they are in real life. Hence, they construct an internet persona that represents their idealized self-concept or basically their persona is the person they wish they were in real life.

I probably have average self-esteem, which is something of a mix of low & high in different areas. I'm sure I have some kind of persona, but it's not all that different from my real life image. People act differently in different contexts because they are not one-dimensional.

I do think this is a common issue on the internet in general though.

-They are either troubled high-school kids, confused college students, unemployed professionals who are also often at mid-life crisis, on disability or welfare or stay at home wives/husbands. In short, they heavily rely on the social acceptance at this forum because they can't find a professional vocation or a hobby that fulfills that need.

None of the above. I work full-time in a professional job, do a ton of volunteer work, and am very active in my church where I have a lot of social contacts.
My job is relaxed & flexible & I sometimes can goof-off online.

-They generally have very poor self-control and can't resist the urge to get into bitter arguments with complete strangers over relatively minor issues.

Nah, they like to debate with people over sensitive topics many avoid in person precisely because it can get too heated.... Some people like passion in their conversations, that's all.

Personally, some disagreement & even light sparring is fine to me, but I don't like bitter arguments, no.

Standuble

I've been a member on this site and INTPc on and off for over six years and here is what I've noticed about regular members. I would think that at least one of the following characteristics accurately describes most regular members.

-They have escapist tendencies and try to use this website as a sanctuary from the problems of real-life they deem to be overwhelming.
-They generally have poor interpersonal communication skills, have very few friends and if they happen to be outgoing, most people in their social network see them as tactless, self-absorbed and annoying.
-They have been diagnosed with a personality disorder that compounds their troubles relating to people. Commonly, such disorders are that of anxiety, depression or ADHD. The frequent users who do not have a personality disorder are often deeply disturbed or traumatized to the point where they struggle to find their niche outside of the forum.
-They are generally not well-educated and do not enjoy doing intellectual work in their spare time, albeit they'll try hard to seem as intelligent as possible on this forum. They read very little and their critical thinking skills are quite weak, so they resort to making ridiculous typological stereotypes and remain unaware of the obvious problems with their statements.
-They typically have a very low self-esteem and therefore cannot come to terms with who they are in real life. Hence, they construct an internet persona that represents their idealized self-concept or basically their persona is the person they wish they were in real life.
-They are either troubled high-school kids, confused college students, unemployed professionals who are also often at mid-life crisis, on disability or welfare or stay at home wives/husbands. In short, they heavily rely on the social acceptance at this forum because they can't find a professional vocation or a hobby that fulfills that need.
-They generally have very poor self-control and can't resist the urge to get into bitter arguments with complete strangers over relatively minor issues.

Feel free to continue this list for me.

Congratulations my little pseudo-intellectual puppy. You have successfully described the interwebz and the template psychological profile of about 90% of forums and their members. My dear boy, have you ever heard of Representativeness heuristics? I haven't either.

If I may ask, what have you been doing these last six years not spent on the forum? What cowers and curdles inside the hole you crawled out of? How fares your ESFJ mother?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I've been a member on this site and INTPc on and off for over six years and here is what I've noticed about regular members. I would think that at least one of the following characteristics accurately describes most regular members.

Feel free to continue this list for me.

It's just not fair to judge everyone on this forum solely on my posts. :dont:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With slight modifications, you could've posted that list on pretty much every internet forum.

(hmm, that could be fun)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They are people who are trying to figure out who they are and how they can relate more efficiently to others, showing interest in self-growth.

This. It's my primary motivation for typology. If anything, it's about coming to grips with my flaws, instead of running from them.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

FALSE.

FALSE.

FALSE.

FALSE.

FALSE.

FALSE.

FALSE.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Congratulations, you know how to sterotype, now here have an arsenic cookie