User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I'm also not sure what the point of this thread is.
    I think his point is that we're all losers and should feel bad.

MBTI
    INTP

What's the point of any thread?

I didn't mind the OP. I think there's a good deal of truth in it. We should take note of some of these things. This community and INTPc are both somewhat insular in the type of person they attract.

I do think, however, that the OP comes with a certain perspective I might disagree with, and that is believing that there is some world out there where people aren't generally fucked up in various ways. These forums happen to be a nice place to have discussions with many features that real life communication doesn't even offer, and there is nothing wrong with or abnormal about the fact that some similar people have congregated together to form a distinct group that does not share the characteristics of the mainstream. Every group must have its own personality, with strengths and weaknesses.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I didn't mind the OP. I think there's a good deal of truth in it. We should take note of some of these things. This community and INTPc are both somewhat insular in the type of person they attract.
    Oh, there's definite truth to that, and I might have written some of the same comments if I had just been looking to do a character assassination of the forum.

The ironic part is that it's just the slanted SOS he typically posts under the guise of objectivity after blowing in after months/years of non-participation, sniping at the forum and then ducking again -- all in the context that my occasional interactions with him elsewhere show he's no more mature socially than the people he's habitually contemptuous of.

But hey, that's what makes this such a circus, I suppose...

These forums happen to be a nice place to have discussions with many features that real life communication doesn't even offer, and there is nothing wrong with or abnormal about the fact that some similar people have congregated together to form a distinct group that does not share the characteristics of the mainstream. Every group must have its own personality, with strengths and weaknesses.
    I agree that this could be alleviated a bit just by a basic understanding of group dynamics.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

^ Huh. Didn't realize this was part of a trend.

The reason why I asked what the point was, @zago, was that it wasn't constructive at all. Figured he was either bitching or trolling, and, like Jen said, doing so under the guise of useful, objective criticism.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Ginkgo

@Jennifer Yeah, he's just as subject to the criticism he's doling out as anyone who it actually applies to. But if you call him out on that, he just insists that you're not on the same page with him and that your claim is irrelevant. It's total trash, brought to you by SW's self-loathing.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    ... But if you call him out on that...
    Well, technically, I suppose I just did. Ooops.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

The ironic part is that it's just the slanted SOS he typically posts under the guise of objectivity after blowing in after months/years of non-participation, sniping at the forum and then ducking again --

Thanks, Jen. The speculation is interesting, but in my opinion, inaccurate. I am not ducking from anything, so if you or anybody else would like to "assassinate" my character, you're more than welcome to. Although it is true, as you've observed, that I may not be there to respond to much of this but that's because the forum is no longer an important part of my life. Not because I am staying away form this site to avoid people who'd like to get back at me for ruffling their feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    all in the context that my occasional interactions with him elsewhere show he's no more mature socially than the people he's habitually contemptuous of.
    You have your reasons for saying that. After all, you've met four years ago and the conclusions you've drawn have a basis in some of the observations you may have made back then. However, I was still a regular member at the time, so the distinction between myself and the type of a person I've described in the OP does not make much sense. In short, one of the reasons I know so much about our average regular forum user is because I've been one for years and that's the person you're expecting me to be now. Nonetheless, I haven't been a regular member here for a long time, so much may have changed since you've last met me, just some food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    @Jennifer Yeah, he's just as subject to the criticism he's doling out as anyone who it actually applies to. But if you call him out on that, he just insists that you're not on the same page with him and that your claim is irrelevant. It's total trash, brought to you by SW's self-loathing.
    I suppose it is self-loathing, or some other motive you want to ascribe to me. Go on and believe that, if that's what makes you feel better about yourself as a regular forum user. After all, all of us who have ever posted here on a regular basis have been looking for comforting illusions that could preserve our self-congratulatory beliefs about who we are and derogatory points of views about types of people whom we blamed for whatever problems we had.

Thankfully, I don't live in that world anymore, but who am I to tell you that you should not either. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Here are my observations:

- They tend to sport an avatar depicting some gentleman with a muscular physique. Many of these avatars are not pictures of the members themselves. Members who in fact are muscular and have posted "real" pictures are simply seeking validation.
    - They splurge on candy and other sweets. Many are invalids who physically cannot leave their houses, and so must spend the majority of their time on this forum.
    - They grip spoons and pencils like cavemen, as they have never bothered to learn a modicum of proper etiquette.
    - They have been permabanned from the forum more than once, indicating that they completely lack tact and understanding.
    - They write theses and complete books on the subject of typology. They love to hear themselves talk--but only over the Internet, as talking to others in real life without mumbling or gazing at their own shoes is a foreign concept to them.
    - Oddly enough, in stark contrast to the trait above, they have never read any posts by other members that relate to typology.
    - They have not been to outer space, nor would they even attempt to go.

Feel free to add to this list.
    Although I appreciate the humor of your parody of my post, most regular users have not written books or theses on typology. Other than that and your odd remark that most regular members have been permabanned at least once, your list is looking pretty good.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

@SolitaryWalker: So, if Jen's wrong, then what's the real reason for this thread? Are you trying to enlighten the forum, or something? To save them from themselves and learn from your mistakes (back when you shared the traits from the OP)?

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    @SolitaryWalker: So, if Jen's wrong, then what's the real reason for this thread? Are you trying to enlighten the forum, or something? To save them from themselves and learn from your mistakes (back when you shared the traits from the OP)?
    No, I am not trying to enlighten anyone anymore, I've learned that lesson and it has spared me a great deal of time and frustration: if people want to believe that MBTI is full of opportunities for personal growth and rich insights into human nature, I'll make no attempt to dissuade them from doing that. I started this thread for amusement's sake, nothing more.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    No, I am not trying to enlighten anyone anymore, I've learned that lesson and it has spared me a great deal of time and effort. I started this thread for amusement's sake, nothing more.
    Ah! Trollin'. Ginkgo was right after all.

Carry on, then!