User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Society

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    The narcissist will be much more charming when you first meet them. You might be quite impressed with them at first. They are less likely to seem odd. You discover this negative side as time progresses.
    while i am still not entirely convinced that my ex-wife is NPD, this would pretty much describe my experience with her.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    it's the upcoming remake - their doing it from the ground up - and it sort of fits what you suggested: pitting extreme disorders against each other
    It actually looks like a good idea you know, I like what they've done, the other films had become a bit of a random late night filler material.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It actually looks like a good idea you know, I like what they've done, the other films had become a bit of a random late night filler material.
    it's interesting. the original mortal combat movie was sort of a high point on the "visual effects for visual effect sake" trend, when you could sell movie tickets on experimental stylistic endeavor alone. now that advanced visual effects are taken for granted, they are trying to take old franchises and give them deeper more meaningful exploration of notions. you saw that a bit with x-men (where the political questions actually examined both sides), then on a more individualistic level with the new batman trilogy (where they attempt at convincing you that batman is bloody schizophrenic), a touch of it in the recent restart of the spider man franchise, and now mortal combat is pretty much taking it to extreme while dumping 99% of the original content.

i suppose you could say that the visual effects trend was more in tune with aspergers, while the psychological exploration trend is more in tune with narcissism.

(and yes, that's pretty much as loose as i can tie this to the OP... we've taken this way way off topic..)

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    it's interesting. the original mortal combat movie was sort of a high point on the "visual effects for visual effect sake" trend, when you could sell movie tickets on experimental stylistic endeavor alone. now that advanced visual effects are taken for granted, they are trying to take old franchises and give them deeper more meaningful exploration of notions. you saw that a bit with x-men (where the political questions actually examined both sides), then on a more individualistic level with the new batman trilogy (where they attempt at convincing you that batman is bloody schizophrenic), a touch of it in the recent restart of the spider man franchise, and now mortal combat is pretty much taking it to extreme while dumping 99% of the original content.

i suppose you could say that the visual effects trend was more in tune with aspergers, while the psychological exploration trend is more in tune with narcissism.

(and yes, that's pretty much as loose as i can tie this to the OP... we've taken this way way off topic..)
    I think that a lot of the trend in remakes of super hero films has been to portray the characters as "human, all too human" if you know what I mean, ie extraordinary abilities does not mean extraordinary character or personalities or moral integrity, its perhaps cliche to say so but it is post-Watchmen and all, I think that the trashing of Batman has gone way, way, way too far but I'm a batman fan, so.

This remake doesnt seem to do that at all, there is an element perhaps of killing off the more mundane or realistic characters, Cage for instance, and keeping the more monsterous but the whole criminal underworld thing is intriguing, perhaps a better lead into the tournament idea than the previous outing, the very first mortal kombat movie felt almost like a retelling of Bruce Lee's Enter The Dragon, although it would be fair to say that it probably inspired some of Mortal Kombat's backdrops etc.

I was thinking more in terms of the claymation TV series celebrity deathmatch though, I cant recall any now apart from an episode which had the character "wee man" from jackass on it, I think perhaps battling eminem or justin beber? I dont know, I loved that series though. It'd be cool to see all the various disorders duking it out and prevailing or failing on the basis of which they were matched with, imagine ADHD vs. OCD for instance

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

IMHO, the problem in some cases is that people forget that being a jerk (or at least having unpleasant aspects of your personality) and having Asperger's or autism or a physical disability are not mutually exclusive. There was one kid in my class who most definitely has Asperger's, but just in general was a very unpleasant person (as were his sister, mother, and father, who did not have Asperger's). We are slowly learning not to discriminate and we've come a long way from just thinking that people with Asperger's are weird, but they're people like everyone else. You can be autistic and a jerk. You can be in a wheelchair and be a jerk. You can have cancer and be a jerk. They're just people, for better or worse.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I know someone who probably is a rather mild case of NPD (I really don't think he's severe because he seems to WANT to connect) as a result of an emotionally and psychologically abusive mother who probably is Borderline.

He asked me once if I thought he had Asperger's. Food for thought.

However, bipolar also runs in his family so what if it is mild Asperger's? "I really feel nothing. I stop emoting. Then I regret it." It has all the features of narcissism (or histrionic) with the over-emphasis on appearance of self and appearance of partners and delusions of sophistication, success, and wealth. A little too strongly desiring external perfection to validate self.

I've read academic articles that state a lot of people with Asperger's/autism spectrum actually have bipolar spectrum running in their family.

Aspies seem like they're oblivious, and narcissists seem like they don't care. That's what I think the difference is.

And would it be impossible for someone to have traits of both? I don't think so, especially if the Asperger's were mild enough.

My niece has Asperger's syndrome, diagnosed and in therapy, but she's too young for me to give much anecdotal evidence about her, other than her developmental behavior.

P.S. I love the person I'm talking about, I'm not talking shit, and I have cyclothymia myself, I'm on the bipolar spectrum, so I'm not mocking him...I am just absolutely baffled by him (ofc never seen a therapist, usually totally baffling people won't) and he is one of the first people who made me realize that Aspies and narcissists may have something in common, but he's not the only one.
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    The narcissist will be much more charming when you first meet them. You might be quite impressed with them at first. They are less likely to seem odd. You discover this negative side as time progresses. The aspie will come across more strange, oblivious to social queues, and highly focused on some particular area of interest that they have. Those perceptions you have become more ingrained as time goes on. It's not like you change your view of them. It just gets more solidified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiharu View Post
    IMHO, the problem in some cases is that people forget that being a jerk (or at least having unpleasant aspects of your personality) and having Asperger's or autism or a physical disability are not mutually exclusive. There was one kid in my class who most definitely has Asperger's, but just in general was a very unpleasant person (as were his sister, mother, and father, who did not have Asperger's). We are slowly learning not to discriminate and we've come a long way from just thinking that people with Asperger's are weird, but they're people like everyone else. You can be autistic and a jerk. You can be in a wheelchair and be a jerk. You can have cancer and be a jerk. They're just people, for better or worse.
    Agreed on everything, especially the bolded parts.

My grandfather had bipolar disorder, so I too am curious if there is a link between a family member having bipolar disorder and another having aspergers.

As for me though, it's as all of you have said: I can appear emotionless, expressionless, or every careless but it isn't because I don't care but rather because it's like my brain wallpapers over a lot of social queues and it's not until someone points it out that I notice and than usually then I feel incredibly awkward/embarrassed/guilty about what happened. This aspect of my disorder has been a constant source of difficulty in my interpersonal relationships with friends, family, and lovers.

I've been very observant of people though and I've managed to do a pretty good job of 'hiding' my disorder but what people don't realize is that I'm seldomly acting naturally but rather I'm adhering to a rigid 'script' in my head as to how to behave around people least they find me weird/uncomfortable/awkward to be around. I go to such lengths because I don't want to feel rejected/alientated/or disliked. I want to feel accepted.

It's not until I actually get to know a group of people and they get to know me that I start 'letting my hair down' as it were and they start to see my quirks. By that time, they usually don't mind. My ENFJ-ex found them endearing.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post

My grandfather had bipolar disorder, so I too am curious if there is a link between a family member having bipolar disorder and another having aspergers.
    http://www.takepart.com/article/2013...ntal-disorders

It's not just asperger's, but regular depression, ADHD and schizophrenia. I have family members with bipolar, and I have regular depression and ADHD.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

In the actual real world it looks like narcissism wins, probably by weight of numbers, its also probably pretty adaptive, especially if you're a teaparty fuckwit or something like that.

Though tea party isnt the only group of people who figure that the world should be in step with their way of doing things.

MBTI
    INTP

I think the operational definition of 'empathy' should be established: Aspergers syndrome includes a deficit of cognitive empathy (i.e. the ability to recognize what others are feeling), not a deficit of emotional or affective empathy (i.e. the capacity to 'empathize' with others). In other words, we are not even remotely similar to narcissists (though a person could have both disorders).

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I think the operational definition of 'empathy' should be established: Aspergers syndrome includes a deficit of cognitive empathy (i.e. the ability to recognize what others are feeling), not a deficit of emotional or affective empathy (i.e. the capacity to 'empathize' with others). In other words, we are not even remotely similar to narcissists (though a person could have both disorders).
    Yeah I've only known aspies, but people who are supposdly narcissists, i don't mistake for having aspergers I actually get along better with people who have aspergers in real life than i do with quote unquote normal people. and I mean the people who I'm refering to have a diagnosis from a doctor.

but I also get along better with smart people,creative people,gay men in general than the so called average schmo. so the above isn't saying much. I guess get along with people who are offbeat.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so