User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Society

as for narcissism, here's some old dried up wood for the fire:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    to be fair, both strains of Fe (TP & FJ) can be associated with quite a few narcissistic traits:

from the (N)TP bucket: bravado, grandioseness, opportunistic, superficial charm, swaggering, and a large arsenal of exploitative & manipulative behaviors.

from the (N)FJ bucket: narcissistic rage & injury, intolerance of criticism, magical thinking, withdrawal, splitting, mortification, self-righteousness, and various self-perceived forms of perfectionism and superiority.

i added the (N) because both appear a bit more frequently with the intuitive variety of each (But not even close to exclusively).
    edit: is quoting yourself a narcissistic trait? :p

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I should clarify that I think Asperger's exists (and I can personally attest to the fact that ADHD exists), I just think that a lot of people who don't really understand it and have no psychological training like to use it as a way to "explain" people they don't understand. That's annoying and doesn't do anyone any good.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Society

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I should clarify that I think Asperger's exists (and I can personally attest to the fact that ADHD exists), I just think that a lot of people who don't really understand it and have no psychological training like to use it as a way to "explain" people they don't understand. That's annoying and doesn't do anyone any good.
    you mean like using aspergers to explain inferior-Fe behavior

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

you mean like using aspergers to explain inferior-Fe behavior
    A large chunk of it appears to indeed be using it to explain a very strong preference for Ti over Fe (and of course, Fi, too), coupled with bursts of Ne weirdness.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

God imagine if you could put disorders in a deathmatch style ring and see which would win? That'd have made a great claymation.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    God imagine if you could put disorders in a deathmatch style ring and see which would win? That'd have made a great claymation.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Aspies seem like they're oblivious, and narcissists seem like they don't care. That's what I think the difference is.
    My experience of Asperger's isn't much- outside of relating to many of the descriptions myself, I don't think I've ever actually known someone with it. But yeah, from what I've read, it seems like they're almost oblivious to how to get social approval- not oblivious to the pain of being ostracized, but oblivious about how to get approval in the first place. Whereas narcissists are rather adept at it (at least, initially) and can be very charismatic because they need copious amounts of external approval (admiration from sources outside themselves) to compensate for an impoverished inner sense of worth. It's too painful to look at that directly, so they constantly seek affirmation from the outside to avoid that pain.

Narcissists usually have delusions of grandeur (as marm already mentioned)- whether it's about their appearance, intelligence, whatever. They are extraordinarily manipulative (they have to be, to get as much approval as they need while not actually caring about others), and they have a need to belittle others to inflate their own ego.

The guy I knew (who I'm pretty sure qualifies for NPD) had the creepiest instinct for where he could get away with putting people down/making them feel bad about themselves (these are the people who might not even realize he was doing it to inflate his own ego, who would believe whatever negative 'feedback' he gave- and therefore would not get angry or cause him trouble.....they'd just slink off to the side feeling bad about themselves) vs. knowing who would either recognize it for what it was and call him on it (possibly in front of others- scary prospect) or was too 'important' (it's a priority to be most liked by the most influential people- so he knew to show his most 'benevolent' face to them). He knew how to fake remorse, and *when* to fake remorse, in order to keep social standing....which I think is something an Aspie doesn't begin to know?

Also, I was just reading through a book by woman with Asperger's (Lianne Holliday Willey)- the whole first chapter was about coping with falling prey to people easily, being naive and easily exploited. I can't imagine narcissists having that problem.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    It seems like a number of posters have had experience dealing with both issues, so I thought it would be interesting to have a thread that compared the similarities and the contrasts. One poster mentioned knowing someone with both conditions and that is what got me thinking, since I have dealt with both in life. I think there can be a lack of empathy in both ways of cognitive processing, but one is the result of hyper-focus and the other is an attachment disorder in which the concept of Self and Other has been distorted. Anyway, we'll see if an interesting discussion results...
    The narcissist will be much more charming when you first meet them. You might be quite impressed with them at first. They are less likely to seem odd. You discover this negative side as time progresses. The aspie will come across more strange, oblivious to social queues, and highly focused on some particular area of interest that they have. Those perceptions you have become more ingrained as time goes on. It's not like you change your view of them. It just gets more solidified.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

That looks really cool, what is that? Its got seventh of nine in it as that lady and I recognise some of the names as characters from the mortal combat games but I saw the mortal combat films and they are awful, not like this and with a more mystical premise, each film ending with the beginning of the next too.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That looks really cool, what is that? Its got seventh of nine in it as that lady and I recognise some of the names as characters from the mortal combat games but I saw the mortal combat films and they are awful, not like this and with a more mystical premise, each film ending with the beginning of the next too.
    it's the upcoming remake - their doing it from the ground up - and it sort of fits what you suggested: pitting extreme disorders against each other