First 1234 Last

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Noooo...actually it's just that emotions and making decisions mostly based on ethics and relationships aren't the same thing, and Aspies can become very out of control of their emotions (not unlike a person with bipolar disorder and I tend to wonder if this is why they both run in the same families, something to do with heightened sensitivity and poor conscious control of impulses) ...all NTs aren't Aspies, but yes they can be. ISxJs are apparently likely to be Aspies.

I mean think about Si. What Si really is.

WHAT IT REALLY IS.

Cool. This is a thread about real psychology, not pop psychology.

I think the reason why I brought this up is because, in college, when I was younger, more depressed , and more socially awkward, occasionally I would be subject to a five second "Asperger's" diagnosis. None of these people were professional psychologists, and appear to have thought of it as being synonymous with "socially awkward nerdy guy." That's really not what it means.

Asperger's is partially about being really literal, I believe. (which is what you mean about Si, correct?)

Sometimes, it almost seems like I'm too good at understanding the behavior of others. I don't like what I find, so I'll kind of push it to the back of my mind, and then later, I'll discover I was right about that person/situation (moral, listen to my gut more).

I definitely have a few things wrong with me, but Asperger's does not appear to be one of them. Professional psychiatrists agree.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Well, some people seem to think being an introverted NT is the same thing as having Aspergers.
    The other fun thing is that some people think that autistic is the same as mentally handicapped. My higher functioning son's classmates cheer for him in P.E. class whenever he does anything. Only the guys and they seem to be sincere. His IQ is not in any way negatively effected by the autism, so it's pretty insulting.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

^ I'm sure the way it's presented in the media doesn't help.

But yeah, people are shockingly ignorant all around when it comes to mental health issues. Fortunately, this seems to be improving.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    yupp

^ I'm sure the way it's presented in the media doesn't help.

But yeah, people are shockingly ignorant all around when it comes to mental health issues. Fortunately, this seems to be improving.
    Yeah but still, I wouldn't go to a potential employer and say I have mental health issues.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Cool. This is a thread about real psychology, not pop psychology.

I think the reason why I brought this up is because, in college, when I was younger, more depressed , and more socially awkward, occasionally I would be subject to a five second "Asperger's" diagnosis. None of these people were professional psychologists, and appear to have thought of it as being synonymous with "socially awkward nerdy guy." That's really not what it means.

Asperger's is partially about being really literal, I believe. (which is what you mean about Si, correct?)
    No Si is not necessarily about being literal, but Si has an intense intellectual focus on delving deeply and intricately into one subject. Depth and detail over breadth and speculation, see? And people with Asperger's are often impressively good with miniscule facts and detail, or knowing everything (including things most people wouldn't care about) about an obsessive hobby, say even something as seemingly "bland" as trains.

Si also loves for things to be a particular sensory way, they're very comforted by the sensory familiarity, making the too low a little higher and the two high a little lower, to their subjective preference. Aspies - and indeed people with full blown autism - may be excruciatingly sensitive to lights, sounds, and fabrics, even doing things like rubbing a particular blanket or piece of cloth on their face. My niece used to do this and go "soft soft soft" when she was about two or three and it made her very happy.

Sometimes, it almost seems like I'm too good at understanding the behavior of others. I don't like what I find, so I'll kind of push it to the back of my mind, and then later, I'll discover I was right about that person/situation (moral, listen to my gut more).

I definitely have a few things wrong with me, but Asperger's does not appear to be one of them. Professional psychiatrists agree.
    Ok. Good for you.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    No Si is not necessarily about being literal, but Si has an intense intellectual focus on delving deeply and intricately into one subject. Depth and detail over breadth and speculation, see? And people with Asperger's are often impressively good with miniscule facts and detail, or knowing everything (including things most people wouldn't care about) about an obsessive hobby, say even something as seemingly "bland" as trains.

Si also loves for things to be a particular sensory way, they're very comforted by the sensory familiarity, making the too low a little higher and the two high a little lower, to their subjective preference. Aspies - and indeed people with full blown autism - may be excruciatingly sensitive to lights, sounds, and fabrics, even doing things like rubbing a particular blanket or piece of cloth on their face. My niece used to do this and go "soft soft soft" when she was about two or three and it made her very happy.
    Ah, I see what you're saying now. Interesting point. Those are all symptoms I've read about, and that does sound kind of Si. I never thought of the first aspect as Si before, interesting. I've associated it more with second aspect you mentioned.

Ok. Good for you.
    LOL. Sorry. The introverted NT = Aspie thing really annoys me, so I wanted hijack this thread for a little bit to get on my soapbox. You may now return to the regularly scheduled discussion.

Visit my Johari:

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Yeah but still, I wouldn't go to a potential employer and say I have mental health issues.
    I hardly ever tell anyone at all, unless they're personal contacts or friends, because I tend to be so highly functioning, and even in some cases exceptional (I'm often trusted with responsibilities et al), that telling people would be counterproductive, it would cause them to have unnecessary fears about me; some people don't even believe me when I do tell them, like I've actually had people tell me not to take my medication, because apparently those doctors were wrong about me.

But hey...you know what? I don't want full blown mania, and people who are cyclothymic can eventually become full blown manic if they are treated early enough...and my meds keep this from happening. It keeps there from being a risk that I'm just going to totally go absolutely batshit and ruin my own life by stealing some cars and going on a shopping spree with other people's credit cards, and all those delightfully romanticized (but truthfully dangerous) things people can do while in full blown mania. It's not all fun and games.

Of course you already know this. I also don't like being depressed. Apparently cyclothymics seek treatment while in a very depressed phase, and indeed, this is what I did. I wasn't even diagnosed as being on the bipolar spectrum at first, but as simply having clinical depression.

However apparently my grandiose charm and risk-taking convinced psychologists otherwise eventually (I also had pressured speech), because several personality disorders - such as borderline and histrionic - were suggested for me early on, but my last two long-term doctors have confirmed that it's only a mood disorder, and that I'm actually very "lucky" and too functional to ever qualify for SSI.

Dammit.

*just kidding*

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Anyone who is slightly shy or introverted is diagnosed with Asperger's now, and anyone who has selfish tendencies than others is diagnosed with narcissism. It's hard to take diagnostics seriously anymore. And it's an SJ mindset to diagnose, or put labels on things that deviate from the "norm," and then medicate them into submission. I don't think either "disorder" exists anymore than ADD/ADHD exists.

MBTI
    yupp

I have not been diagnosed with aspbergers or autism, to be being very literal,social skills,ecceentric, but i don't have repetive behaviors,have a hard time communicating, and coordination problems . I'd need to read up on the rest to say if I relate to any others. my parents went and took me to get diagnosed when i was in preschool, this of course was in the 80s and they said that I had developmental delays (I wasn't really talking, and didn't have the stereotypical repetitive behavior, but they said I was neurotypical, but I was just on the border)

I'm not claiming to have it, my point is I was extremely shy and introverted as a child, and I've always been literal to the point it gets me trouble in social situations, Of course I also have another dx that could explain these things as well.

just find it interesting, that I had developmental delays, dxed with written expressive disorder, schizoaffective/bipolar 1 and wonder how much those symptoms can overlap/llook like autistic spectrum disorder. my problems with communication come from processing what's going on and being able to effectivly express myself in situations. Of course I don't know. and the processing isn't so much I can't its just at times i'll repeat what is said out loud because i hear it but i don't process it. so probably not the same thing. I'm neurotypical obviously.

I don't know why I'm posting this, just bored and want to talk about me/contribute without knowing a damn thing.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Society

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    but one is the result of hyper-focus and the other is an attachment disorder in which the concept of Self and Other has been distorted.
    what's the relationship between aspergers and hyper-focus?
    FYI - i have hyper-focus (the anti-ADHD), but i severely doubt i have aspergers...