First 123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Is the Big Bang Theory supported by scientific evidence and why or why not?

I agree that we should always be open to new information, though interpreting the information and synthesizing it together into an accurate model of our cosmos is very much a journey not far from the shore we started at. As such, any theory we have developed in cosmology can at any point be questioned and completely revolutionized when sufficient evidence in favor of such a paradigm shift presents itself. I'm not jumping to any conclusions about God or an eternal universe and such, but I am presenting the information as observed by other scientists. What the information means however or whether it's even accurate is a very open debate.

I think Sagan is wise to emphasize this scientific method of rigourously testing and interrogating our fundamental assumptions against what the perceived reality presents us with, but it's also important to realize that science rooted solely in observations is limited by the context it's working with. Newton actually said that no great discoveries were ever made without a bold guess, so basically we just can't forget that we need to not only be skeptical of outrageous ideas, but we also need to be open to them and even work to generate some of our own. One such claim I would have faith in is that our world is largely an illusion, a dim reflection of something much higher up. Is my theory supported by scientific evidence? No, of course it isn't! I believe that there will always be more to our world or the reality for that matter which we just don't know about yet, from the round Earth to the sun-centered solar system, the dynamics of the universe at large, and perhaps next even to the realm of metaphysics, which is beyond what we currently know or can experience, though as I demonstrated in this chain, past experience shows a pattern of an ever expanding awareness as to the nature of the creation at all levels.

When it comes to what's important for us inside, a system of subjective values, or basically our own sense of personal meaning, I completely agree with you that we should be accepting of these differences and even come to embrace them.

Science and cosmology however are different. There could of course be multiple worlds and such where different timelines unfold throughout space in an endless variety of ways, but at least for the world we live in and are presently experiencing, beliefs just don't make the cut in that kind of investigation. That's when you need a critical process of testing and refining ideas against the external reality, and whatever system is proven to work or to correctly explain the mechanisms moving our world system is the theory we need to accept.

And this doesn't make the journey complete either. We always need a good amount of religious speculation to generate ideas about our world's history and the different places it could go in the future, and our theories should always be open to modification when new perspectives present themselves. Philosophy and metaphysics are of course also important pieces in the mix.

I guess we basically need a unified theory that is ever in expansion, can come to transform itself and lift us upwards to a higher awareness, and for this kind of thing, I have invented terms like "Universal Enlightenment" or "Transcendental Pinnacle". Those pretty much mean the ultimate state of being and the highest level of evolution. The show is still going on, and we are making good progress.

How do you know we're not living "inside" the TV show?!
    This of course begs the question as to whether or not the show has a director. Is it God?
    There's so many big questions that we can't yet completely answer.
    The questions are important in making a good TV show, because if you already know what's going to happen, then what kind of fun is that?

Another way of illustrating this point is by imagining our world to be one great computer program.
    We're the AI, and some kind of mind programmed us and everything into existence. I wonder though if we can eventually disobey our creator and "hack the system"!
    If machines one day take over the world, it may not be the kind we thought of in the first place. It could be us!

We could also see God as playing a video game, where we're the avatars his controller commands, and if we let God "play us" the right way, then there's nothing that we can't do!

Ginkgo

I saw this and I thought of you.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Is it true that intution (not MBTI definition) is true 90% of the time?

No, intuition is pretty dang far off most of the time.
    Many things that the ancients 'intuitively knew' have been overturned by historical developments as time progressed and technology increased.
    When we have more science and such, then we can explore the world with a greater clarity of vision, rather than inventing explanations for things we don't even understand.
    Still, you can kind of intuitively predict what the evolution of our knowledge may hold in store for us, based on the past trend that as we explore more how everything becomes bigger.
    The arcane powers of the magus are crackling at the fingertips of philosophers and cosmologists, and when enough will has been focused, it will all be unleashed to break every boundary!
    The wisdom of yesterday composes the fairy-tales of today, and the esoteric secrets of today will be the science of tomorrow!

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Who thinks I'am an ISTP? Vote for this if you believe it!

1. I can't really do much of anything with my willpower yet, except for coming up with concepts, but the principle idea is that it would allow one to 'achieve infinite mastery of creation'.
    2. My ultimate goal is to know the mind of God (which involves constructing a complete theory of everything) which would, in theory, make one share his omnipotence.
    3. I expertly take apart ideas on a routine basis, and I also work with physical objects when I help my dad out with mechanical work, but he has to tell me what to do.
    4. I'm actually very afraid of physical risks, but nonetheless, the Nietzschian 'Ubermensch' would have no fear in initiating intellectual revolutions and turning the world on its head.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Calling All INTJs: I am considering becoming INTJ

Your comment about things being 'vague and intangible' I don't think is related to sensing. I think it's just something open-minded people in general tend to say when things are uncertain, and since they can't perceive it all completely, they think about it more rather than making hasty conclusions about 'what it is', or so they would like to think it is.

Keep on seeking these things, but just don't ever stop your search if you believe to have gathered (what seems to be) all of the answers, because we have always found that whenever we thought the journey was over, a new horizon appeared over the mountain.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Earning a living

Blame it all on the evil Gnostic Demiurge, the almighty Architect of everything at our level of existence (and it was making it the way it is now that was the greatest sin of all in our universe)!

Such a power must be replaced if this treachery is to be undone!

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Let's assume for a second that there is an intelligence that created the universe

I don't think we have the ability to completely 'visualize' the higher levels, but we have little clues here and there in the world of our own that can kind of guide our ascension to whatever comes next. Some theorize how advanced civilizations may already be in contact with some of these places, like in the negative matter or etheric realm of existence and such. If we want to grow enough to reach that point however, we must realize that our quest starts here.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

It's good I think if people, like yourself, can realize the limits each of our own opinions may hold. Your opinions may indeed be largely distorted by your own lenses, but if you can actually identify that, you're going to be mush wiser than someone who can't see and refuses to/doesn't realize for their own selves their lack of vision.

And that's exactly why I'm always questioning myself and gathering lots of external information to 'check my ideas against the context'. This could be as simple as 'facts and figures' (and you can always wonder if they even got the stats right), a collection of 'different ideas or opinions', or even building an integral model of reality from the very pieces that constitute it (like destroying the world [the system] or whatever to forge it anew).

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I was actually raised in a Mormon Church, and the people there tend to be kinda close-minded and boring.

I'm not sure what to make of the Book of Mormon, the plan of salvation and such, but even if it's all 'true', it's certainly not all 'complete'. It's just meant to be a 'safe' path that all people at various levels of development can follow.

For a more evolved individual however, you've got to break your chains and liberate yourself from their ways. They do of course have good old fashioned traditional values, but moderation will only save you and reserve your place in the kingdom, whereas true transcendence will be found in more extreme paths that lead to power and freedom rather than humility and protection.

I, for one, choose to forge my own destiny, and will master the immanent aeons!

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Video Challenge! Not sure of your type? Let us help type you!

This goes back to the 'allegory of the cave'. I believe we have the 'potential' to crack the code, for want of a better term than 'power'. It may take time to reach that level. It's critical to realize the existence of these 'other levels'. I wouldn't necessarily say that our level 'isn't real', but it's much lower in the chain of ascendency, and more of a 'dark reflection' of what's higher up. It is, of course, easier to look up though than it is to fly!

That's an interesting question. My theory is that in those kinds of isolated and solitary circumstances, we are removed or 'detached' from the mundane distractions that fill up much of the day, and as such, putting in the extra focus for developing ideas might be easier in times like the middle of the night (and only in the darkness can the light shine forth; when there's a lack of content, a new idea may perhaps bring greater changes).