• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hyperbole and a Half

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So I recently came along to a blog about a girl named Allie Bosh while browsing the web. I ended up with one of her blog post, currently circulating the web, about how her Depression feels like.

Don't worry, the blog post is actually quite light-hearted, but I think it describes the symptoms of depression quite well (without getting too dark,) and what one can do for someone who is depressed. While depression is different from person to person, I just found this piece informative as a general understanding.

It gives me some ideas of what I should/should not be doing when someone is going through depression. The fact that this blog post talks about Hope.... what Hope? Is kind of funny because it seems that is one of my things I keep in mind on whatever I do. Hope is something I've token to heart as a kid and throwing that word away is as deep and dark as..well.. the piece itself? I'm not sure what else to say, but I REALLY wanted to share her blog post. But maybe people can start asking how depression feels like and to get perspective on what can be done for the people having it?

I certainly will not be making those "you should be happy and think positive thoughts" anymore if a person suffering from depression don't feel it, or feel agitated about it.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here's part one.

Does anyone else find the notion of someone wanting to be depressed violative of Occam's Razor? It's possible, but in most cases sounds like a contrived explanation for something not understood.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's part one.

Does anyone else find the notion of someone wanting to be depressed violative of Occam's Razor? It's possible, but in most cases sounds like a contrived explanation for something not understood.

I can imagine circumstances in which someone could want to be depressed, and perhaps even successfully create a "deppresion". Such a situation would be much rarer than actual depression however. "Wanting to be depressed" is, I think as suggested in those comics, a misinterpretation by others who simply can't understand. Like walking on the moon, depression requires actual shared experience for an understanding of its more unfamiliar and novel elements. The average person cannot imagine a total lack of something--hope--that has been ever present for them since birth.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm bumping this because I want as many people to read her post as possible. Allie Brosh does the most beautiful job of explaining what depression is like without romanticizing it.

And that’s the most frustrating thing about depression. It isn’t always something you can fight back against with hope. It isn’t even something — it’s nothing. And you can’t combat nothing. You can’t fill it up. You can’t cover it. It’s just there, pulling the meaning out of everything. That being the case, all the hopeful, proactive solutions start to sound completely insane in contrast to the scope of the problem.

It would be like having a bunch of dead fish, but no one around you will acknowledge that the fish are dead. Instead, they offer to help you look for the fish or try to help you figure out why they disappeared.

The problem might not even have a solution. But you aren’t necessarily looking for solutions. You’re maybe just looking for someone to say “sorry about how dead your fish are” or “wow, those are super dead. I still like you, though.”

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's probably the closest anyone will get to a pefect explanation.