• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are your core motivations?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It could be interesting to examine what one's core driving forces in life are. What are your underlying motivations that drive your decisions?

This question can be interpreted in a variety of ways, and I encourage people to personalize the approach to whatever is most meaningful and makes the most sense to them. These motivations could range from a desire to acquire wealth, to gain knowledge, be consistently compassionate, thinking clearly, attain spiritual enlightenment, sexual fulfillment, become powerful, become courageous, have a family, revisit/recreate the past, etc. Interpret and respond however you see fit.

There is not a specific plan for the thread, as I was just thinking of my own core motivations and decided to share the topic here.

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This kind of sounds like enneagrams..

Mine is being perfect, I crave perfection.

What is yours?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thinking clearly is the primary motivation for me because without that, there is nothing else that I feel has any certainty.

Having a pure empathy for other creatures is a strong one as well, but I see it as related to the first because it also requires clarity about an aspect of reality. I wouldn't want to mistake personal projection for empathy, or another warped set of assumptions. My desire is fundamentally to think clearly, or rather to see clearly from the vantage point of another, so that I can be connected and show meaningful compassion. There is no connection without comprehension.

I long to grow and to help others grow to reach their potential and attain a pure sense of self and a sense of meaning in their accomplishment.

Inner peace is something I long for, but I have more trouble knowing how to work towards reaching that state. I wouldn't want to feel peace as the result of a warped sense of self or my environment. I'd rather have fear and anxiety if it is accurate thinking, but would ideally like to reach a state of inner peace as a result of clarity.

I think that sums it up pretty well for me.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION] when you speak of "underlying" motivations do you mean conscious motives or unconscious ones? Im assuming you mean the former, but the phrase "underlying motivations that drive your decisions" makes me think of the latter.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION] when you speak of "underlying" motivations do you mean conscious motives or unconscious ones? Im assuming you mean the former, but the phrase "underlying motivations that drive your decisions" makes me think of the latter.
You could describe either or both. I like the idea of each person interpreting the question however they see it.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright.

I would say I want to become wealthy. Thats a motivation. I want to go forward and cause change in my life and in the life of those who are in my life. I hate the idea of stasis. I want to move go forward, not stay stuck in the same situation or spiral down into situations that are out of my control. I want to be an agent for change(not in the name of cause but in the broadest sense of the word 'change').

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
1. Independence. First and foremost, the ability to have control over my own life, and not have to rely on others, has been a driving force of mine since I can ever remember.
2. Dreams. My goals, aspirations, inspiration, what I think is cool.. these sort of things are what KEEPS me going.
3. People. Much as I sometimes hate to admit it, people are at the absolute center of my life. I am not a hermit, I don't do well on my own, and it is why even though I cannot stand having no privacy at times, overall I truly do not mind it.. I go way out of my way for people, sometimes to the detriment of the first two.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Connection.

From that one follows an urge for Mediation/Translation.

If things go well, one of the benefits is often Understanding/Harmony.

W

WALMART

To develop my normal mind into a being of supernatural existence, one that is capable of implementing my wants and desires while accommodating those around me effortlessly and instinctively.

I believe success flows from these traits.

gromit

likes this
On a personal basis I am deeply value joy, health, and self-reliance. And in my life I have found there to be an inter-connection between the three.

In terms of my interactions with others, I suppose I'm motivated by a sort of loyalty. And I want them to be able to achieve the above as well. Happy and healthy and content, whatever form that takes for them :)

In terms of "something greater"... I am driven by/drawn to a sense of sacredness(?) I guess in a way all of what I said is a little bit sacred to me. Like, this is my "purpose" sort of.

That last part is very difficult for me to explain.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The well-being of myself and my clan.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My ultimate motivation is nothing short of a complete dynamic map of our existence and all the ways in which its creation can transform.

Nicki

Retired
My goals and morals are my driving forces. I will see justice before I die and I will be remembered by society for at least a century!