User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: APTi

  1. #1
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,913

    Default APTi

    Does anybody know anything about this organization? I noticed they have a local chapter where I live. Dario Nardi presented at their last meeting. Too bad I missed it.

    http://www.aptinternational.org/

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  2. #2

    Default

    I used to subscribe. If you are interested in the theories of Beebe, Berens, Nardi, etc. They have nice articles in their journal and interesting things going on at local meetings (like you found out).

    I would say that they are the most self-consistent group of people who study typology (for what that is worth).

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  3. #3
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I used to subscribe. If you are interested in the theories of Beebe, Berens, Nardi, etc. They have nice articles in their journal and interesting things going on at local meetings (like you found out).

    I would say that they are the most self-consistent group of people who study typology (for what that is worth).
    That's good to know. It seems like there is a national thing and a local thing. Do you need to join both if you want to receive their stuff?

    Also, when did you become an ISFP?

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  4. #4

    Default

    I only joined the cheapest chapter. I forget which one that was.

    I became ans ISFP when I wanted to become one.

    I have come to believe, like many theories about human differences, that the differences in personality get overblown, and abused in manners that are quite unethical, let alone inaccurate. I have come to almost believe that learning MBTI and believing it does more harm than good.

    Even inaccurate theories have the potential to do good...to further understanding, and to help put ourselves in other people's "shoes". But that is not the way I see typology being used. It is used here to divide and deride, to stereotype and pigeonhole, and to give credence to ones own prejudices. All these abuses were, at one point, against the ethics of using MBTI (you can check the APTi archives for articles on this, I think). But now the main use of the system, even in corporations, seems quite unethical.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  5. #5
    Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Holy macaroni, Batman! I hadn't heard of this group before. It's seems very interesting. There isn't a chapter where I live, but there is an online chapter for people who live in areas otherwise unserved by a chapter. http://www.apt-echapter.org/site/

    Thanks for posting, Highlander. This is going to be interesting.
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

  6. #6
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    But that is not the way I see typology being used. It is used here to divide and deride, to stereotype and pigeonhole, and to give credence to ones own prejudices. All these abuses were, at one point, against the ethics of using MBTI (you can check the APTi archives for articles on this, I think). But now the main use of the system, even in corporations, seems quite unethical.
    I don't really think so. How exactly do you think it is being used in an unethical manner? For example, I haven't seen any evidence of this whatsoever in the corporate world and I've worked with a lot of companies.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I don't really think so. How exactly do you think it is being used in an unethical manner? For example, I haven't seen any evidence of this whatsoever in the corporate world and I've worked with a lot of companies.
    I seen MBTI made to reinforce prejudices regarding P types in corporations. Like people who were thought of as reliable and steady were given an MBTI like test, and come out P, and then from that point forward, they are treated as if the things they wanted to do were frivolous or done because they were Ps and not willing to go along with the J culture of getting things done.

    But are you denying that this sort of happens here? I could dig up threads, but this would be a significant derail. If you want examples, I can PM you next time I check in to the site.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  8. #8
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I only joined the cheapest chapter. I forget which one that was.

    I became ans ISFP when I wanted to become one.

    I have come to believe, like many theories about human differences, that the differences in personality get overblown, and abused in manners that are quite unethical, let alone inaccurate. I have come to almost believe that learning MBTI and believing it does more harm than good.

    Even inaccurate theories have the potential to do good...to further understanding, and to help put ourselves in other people's "shoes". But that is not the way I see typology being used. It is used here to divide and deride, to stereotype and pigeonhole, and to give credence to ones own prejudices. All these abuses were, at one point, against the ethics of using MBTI (you can check the APTi archives for articles on this, I think). But now the main use of the system, even in corporations, seems quite unethical.
    That's why there is esoterica and exoterica. Most people can't handle this kind of knowledge. They don't know how to.

    They can't handle the truth.

    Last edited by Mal12345; 05-18-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  9. #9
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    Holy macaroni, Batman! I hadn't heard of this group before. It's seems very interesting. There isn't a chapter where I live, but there is an online chapter for people who live in areas otherwise unserved by a chapter. http://www.apt-echapter.org/site/

    Thanks for posting, Highlander. This is going to be interesting.
    I attended a chapter meeting this week. Here is my summary of the event:
    - For the most part, it was an older crowd of people who use MBTI on the job; mostly MBTI practitioners, coaches, counselors and HR professionals. They all seemed to know each other but were very welcoming of me as a new attendee.
    - It was a facilitated discussion on Ne and Ni that lasted two hours, which was held in a room at a local university. The homework prior to the meeting was to read the relevant chapters in Haas/Huntzinger, "Building Blocks of Personality Type" which is about the 8 functions.
    - There were a lot of Ne doms (10?) and Ni doms (5?) in the room which made it interesting for them to talk about how they experience their dominant function. There were a couple of Si doms (ISFJ and ISTJ) who were able to describe how they experience the interaction with intuitives.
    - As compared to the forum, it was a more serious discussion and more structured in the facilitation. There is a different kind of dynamic when you do this kind of thing in person and we got through a lot in a compressed period of time.

    Bottom line, I thought it was very good/interesting and I'll definitely attend future meetings, work schedule allowing.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  10. #10

    Default

    If you love to join the course of this organization you can do it, they are providing some self-meditation techniques.

Similar Threads

  1. Is anybody attending the APTi Conference in Miami July 10th - 14th?
    By highlander in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2013, 01:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO