• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

APTi

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does anybody know anything about this organization? I noticed they have a local chapter where I live. Dario Nardi presented at their last meeting. Too bad I missed it.

http://www.aptinternational.org/

ygolo

My termites win
I used to subscribe. If you are interested in the theories of Beebe, Berens, Nardi, etc. They have nice articles in their journal and interesting things going on at local meetings (like you found out).

I would say that they are the most self-consistent group of people who study typology (for what that is worth).

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to subscribe. If you are interested in the theories of Beebe, Berens, Nardi, etc. They have nice articles in their journal and interesting things going on at local meetings (like you found out).

I would say that they are the most self-consistent group of people who study typology (for what that is worth).

That's good to know. It seems like there is a national thing and a local thing. Do you need to join both if you want to receive their stuff?

Also, when did you become an ISFP?

ygolo

My termites win
I only joined the cheapest chapter. I forget which one that was.

I became ans ISFP when I wanted to become one.

I have come to believe, like many theories about human differences, that the differences in personality get overblown, and abused in manners that are quite unethical, let alone inaccurate. I have come to almost believe that learning MBTI and believing it does more harm than good.

Even inaccurate theories have the potential to do good...to further understanding, and to help put ourselves in other people's "shoes". But that is not the way I see typology being used. It is used here to divide and deride, to stereotype and pigeonhole, and to give credence to ones own prejudices. All these abuses were, at one point, against the ethics of using MBTI (you can check the APTi archives for articles on this, I think). But now the main use of the system, even in corporations, seems quite unethical.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Holy macaroni, Batman! I hadn't heard of this group before. It's seems very interesting. There isn't a chapter where I live, but there is an online chapter for people who live in areas otherwise unserved by a chapter. http://www.apt-echapter.org/site/

Thanks for posting, Highlander. This is going to be interesting.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But that is not the way I see typology being used. It is used here to divide and deride, to stereotype and pigeonhole, and to give credence to ones own prejudices. All these abuses were, at one point, against the ethics of using MBTI (you can check the APTi archives for articles on this, I think). But now the main use of the system, even in corporations, seems quite unethical.

I don't really think so. How exactly do you think it is being used in an unethical manner? For example, I haven't seen any evidence of this whatsoever in the corporate world and I've worked with a lot of companies.

ygolo

My termites win
I don't really think so. How exactly do you think it is being used in an unethical manner? For example, I haven't seen any evidence of this whatsoever in the corporate world and I've worked with a lot of companies.

I seen MBTI made to reinforce prejudices regarding P types in corporations. Like people who were thought of as reliable and steady were given an MBTI like test, and come out P, and then from that point forward, they are treated as if the things they wanted to do were frivolous or done because they were Ps and not willing to go along with the J culture of getting things done.

But are you denying that this sort of happens here? I could dig up threads, but this would be a significant derail. If you want examples, I can PM you next time I check in to the site.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I only joined the cheapest chapter. I forget which one that was.

I became ans ISFP when I wanted to become one.

I have come to believe, like many theories about human differences, that the differences in personality get overblown, and abused in manners that are quite unethical, let alone inaccurate. I have come to almost believe that learning MBTI and believing it does more harm than good.

Even inaccurate theories have the potential to do good...to further understanding, and to help put ourselves in other people's "shoes". But that is not the way I see typology being used. It is used here to divide and deride, to stereotype and pigeonhole, and to give credence to ones own prejudices. All these abuses were, at one point, against the ethics of using MBTI (you can check the APTi archives for articles on this, I think). But now the main use of the system, even in corporations, seems quite unethical.

That's why there is esoterica and exoterica. Most people can't handle this kind of knowledge. They don't know how to.

They can't handle the truth.

Last edited:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Holy macaroni, Batman! I hadn't heard of this group before. It's seems very interesting. There isn't a chapter where I live, but there is an online chapter for people who live in areas otherwise unserved by a chapter. http://www.apt-echapter.org/site/

Thanks for posting, Highlander. This is going to be interesting.

I attended a chapter meeting this week. Here is my summary of the event:
- For the most part, it was an older crowd of people who use MBTI on the job; mostly MBTI practitioners, coaches, counselors and HR professionals. They all seemed to know each other but were very welcoming of me as a new attendee.
- It was a facilitated discussion on Ne and Ni that lasted two hours, which was held in a room at a local university. The homework prior to the meeting was to read the relevant chapters in Haas/Huntzinger, "Building Blocks of Personality Type" which is about the 8 functions.
- There were a lot of Ne doms (10?) and Ni doms (5?) in the room which made it interesting for them to talk about how they experience their dominant function. There were a couple of Si doms (ISFJ and ISTJ) who were able to describe how they experience the interaction with intuitives.
- As compared to the forum, it was a more serious discussion and more structured in the facilitation. There is a different kind of dynamic when you do this kind of thing in person and we got through a lot in a compressed period of time.

Bottom line, I thought it was very good/interesting and I'll definitely attend future meetings, work schedule allowing.

roman67

If you love to join the course of this organization you can do it, they are providing some self-meditation techniques.