User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are women more irrational than men?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 27.27%
  • No

27 61.36%
  • Kinda-sorta

5 11.36%
First 789101119 Last

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    At least one neurologist and one neuroscientist might disagree with that statement.
    No Reason Without Emotion?
    Yes, thanks (I’ve actually got a copy of Descartes’ Error sitting on my end table in my to-read pile). I know the *science* to back up my claims is out there, but I’m not very skilled at detail recall or being able to find particular studies I very clearly remember reading. All I specifically remember is that scans have shown the amygdala fires off before anything else, and that the parts of the brain that make sense of things kick in after it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I agree - I think J's in general have a harder time with this (with believing they are more baked-in rational, varying from J-type to J-type of course - won't derail further though).
    Fascinating hypothesis. I’m trying to remember if you’ve ever said anything like this before.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You are confusing emotions and values. These are the "subjective attachments" at the root of rational matters: our ideas of what is important and why. It is quite easy to recognize and set aside emotional input to the logical process, especially if one is more comfortable and skilled with assessing the objective data. This is similar to disregarding references written in a foreign language. Yes, you might miss some useful information, but careful analysis of the papers you can actually read should suffice for a practical decision. Attempting to decipher the papers in the other language might result in errors.
    Of course, the pain-in-the-ass in me wants to point out that choosing the term ‘value’ over ‘emotion’ is a personal preference and isn’t really correcting what I said so much as changing the wording to make it more palatable for yourself- because in the studies I’ve read on this topic, more often than not, the word ‘emotion’ is used to convey ‘the affect which happens before the conscious logic, and which influences that logic’- but the non-pain-in-the-ass part of me that just wants everyone to get along is thinking “Sure, ‘value’ works too I guess.”
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    lol @Amargith just repped me that I basically copycatted her position here!

So, I will take another tangent, but have only NOW skimmed the thread, so if I am copying someone else here, rep me and chastise me accordingly.

There is a difference between being irrational and showing strong emotions. Just because you might not understand the reason behind someone else's show of strong emotion, does not mean there isn't a rational reason for that behaviour. I find people mix these two up - having a powerful emotional response or using emotion in an argument is not the same as being irrational.

eta: When @Marmotini gets angry at someone for trolling her, it's a rational response - there's a clear reason and one could say it is perfectly logical.
    Fi is a rational function and I think the primary difference between men and women is NOT that women are more irrational (no that is not my experience, having had men go off on me, or seen them fight with each other) ...but often that women are more comfortable expressing their feelings because they've been socialized that expressing feelings is okay and healthy, that repressing them makes you sick, even.

From what I've read, the male hormonal cycle actually cycles more rapidly than the female hormonal cycle. That means men are actually more likely to be moody in a more daily pattern, while women will sustain a certain hormonal state for a few days to a week or so, like 7-10 days in some cases.

Also, I've had guys meet me one time and want to run away with me, so not even on that front, no.

I've also been sharply aware of how irrational some men are about female sexuality, so no again there.

All in all, I think men are more likely to type themselves as Ts, but according to MBTI stats, T/F is split about 50/50 for men.

Fi and Fe are also rational functions, they just aren't logical like Te and Ti.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I love how F-types always try to invalidate the possibility of T-based rationality, by immediately throwing themselves into full belief of anything that suggests there's an emotional component tovall of our cognition. That much is so obvious, it is remarkable people actually find it so groundbreaking. The much more interesting question is what happens later in higher order thinking that makes one more or less objective, more or less rational.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

In fact, let's just clarify that the irrational functions are Se, Si, Ne, and Ni (and no not in any particular order, it's not that Ni is the most rational of the irrationals...it's just that Se is the most obvious because it "acts out"...all of those people who drive too fast, get arrested for petty misdemeanors, accidentally get caught having sex in public, or fight/argue on impulse? Probably due to a lot of Se, especially in youth, and people who carry this kind of impulsive self-defeating behavior into middle age probably aren't balancing their rational functions with their Se...I'm an Se type, and I know that it's the combo of Se and Fi that have made me so impulsively reaction, not just my F function, which actually usually tells me to stay away from the BAAAAAAD people).

Si is irrational in confusing the symbol with the object, so despite all of their sensibility and order, SJs may not "get in trouble" as much as Se types on the surface (unless they have underlying issues) ...Si doms can still be quite irrational, especially when Si is not balanced with other functions.

There's also nothing more rational about being an N. Ni doms, esp. INTJs I've noticed, can have wild and inappropriate theories about things (especially when they're conspiracy theories) and according to Socionics, NFJs are likely to hold on to ideologies to the point of it being beyond reason, having more to do with the vision than with the morality, even exhausting themselves or driving themselves mad (See: Hitler).

Also, I'm sure nobody has to tell you those Ne doms spitting out all of those theoretical possibilities and not deciding on any of them nor acting on them aren't being as rational as they could be.

What's going on here, I'm going to guess, is simply socialization of females to be more comfortable with displaying emotion (which has nothing do with Fi or Fe, but with socialization of girls and boys)...also culture. In some cultures men are much more jolly, hug each other, and think that not crying while in grief is the real weakness. Serbian men think you're a puss if you can't show emotion, but in the U.S. it's the opposite.

Hmmm...what else?

Oh, also Te doms opposing Fi in some cases, or Ti doms being annoyed by Fi, which is more of a function clash than a gender or biological sex clash.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

^ I think there is something to be said for rationality having to do with the development of as many functions as possible

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

^ but also note that, in your post, there is not much talk about T functions being irrational

T functions, while not indicators of perfect rationality, are the functions closest to rationality

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Guess who's not reading your posts or talking to you, troll?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I wonder how many women voted No...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by unnamed View Post
    this, but not just this. women are more driven by their emotions in general due to hormones and monthly changes in them , F type or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I think that irrational men are more likely to mask their irrationality behind a bogus wall of 'logic speak', due to what society has taught them.
    also this, INTJs are often masters at this and doing that is highly irrational.. one of the over 9000 reasons why i consider them more irrational than ENFPs for example, who are generally seen as very irrational people, but thats just the surface, like the "rationality" of the INTJ is.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Trust me, testosterone does a bigger number on your guys than estrogen does on us..ours just comes together in one little week. You guys are hormonal non-stop

Im still trying to understand the rationale of a guy talking to my chest while vehemently building a case that I just aint his type
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”