User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are women more irrational than men?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 27.27%
  • No

27 61.36%
  • Kinda-sorta

5 11.36%
First 5678917 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I seriously doubt about inherited causes for psychological differences between men and women.

I believe that the degree of difference between the average of all men and the average of all women is smaller than the average degree of difference between any two individuals. Or on other words, your gender makes up a negligibly small part of your personality.

And I think the areas where men and women manifest the widest differences are in moments of social awareness when they conform, and thus these widest differences are also the most superficial and ephemeral.

Within those terms, I find it hard to believe that one sex is more rational than the other.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    ENTj Ni

If we are referring to rationality in terms of reasoning ability or ability to use reason and accept things generated by reason, then no, women are not any less rational than men on average. However, if we are referring to whether or not women tend to use emotion-based reasoning more than logical reasoning, then by Western society's standards, women use more emotional reasoning on average compared to me (or they should anyway for reasons commonly cited). Even though using emotions over logic and facts is not the same thing as being irrational, I brought up that point because people often confuse the two.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."-Roger Kint, The Usual Suspects
    "You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."- Tyler Durden, Fight Club
    ENTJ, LIE-Ni, 9w8-6w5-3w2

I think my Marm-reaction thread is artistically superior to this one. And more relevant... to things.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I didn't even know it existed...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I suppose it all boils down to what any given individual sees as rational, then.
    For me, a significant aspect of rationality is the degree to which one's actions support one's goals. A classic example is getting upset at your boss because you think he is being unfair. He may really be unfair, and your anger may thus be justified, but expressing your anger emotionally will not get you closer to a satisfactory resolution, however good it might make you feel in the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I seriously doubt about inherited causes for psychological differences between men and women.

I believe that the degree of difference between the average of all men and the average of all women is smaller than the average degree of difference between any two individuals. Or on other words, your gender makes up a negligibly small part of your personality.

And I think the areas where men and women manifest the widest differences are in moments of social awareness when they conform, and thus these widest differences are also the most superficial and ephemeral.
    I agree, though I am no expert in biology and cannot provide a thorough basis for discounting the evolutionary aspect. I especially agree with the highlighted, and have found this to be the case both for myself, and for most people I come to know well. The well-known differences that contribute to the stereotypes are then the product of social and cultural influences with which we are all brought up. Women and men may start out with the same inherent ability for both rational thought and emotional understanding, but the two groups are raised to value and develop one over the other. Going along with this is development of the inclination to use one over the other.

Bottom line: women have the same inherent ability for rational thought as men, but on average have developed it less and are less inclined to use it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

WALMART

Has the answer "no" been established yet?

I thought men were stereotypically portrayed as being bullheadedly irrational to begin with anyways.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Thanks for this rational response to Marm's thread, Z.
    Yep. So much trolling.

Guess that sexism isn't so "secret" after all.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    It could be nature or nurture, but men generally demonstrate more compartmentalism in their cognitive functioning. It has been fascinating to me to see how men can demonstrate certain compartments of clear reasoning, but then also be capable of a level of irrationality that is equally impressive. I have found men also capable of much more single-mindedness and even obsession in their irrationality.

The most accepted forms of male irrationality are associated with power and so are viewed in a different light. Aggression, sports enthusiasm, etc. are clear examples of extreme irrationality, but are seen as different from crying. I have found it is generally far easier to reason with someone who is sad than someone who is angry because anger is deeply connected to feeling entitled and powerful. A person is much more ready to feel empowered when sad than to become reasoned when angry. In this way I find men are capable of far more extreme degrees of irrationality as accepted by society.
    I voted yes. I read this though and then thought it about it agin.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    ...but then your argumentation dissolved into the normal crap that it tends to.
    Now I definitely agree with her.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Yep. So much trolling.
    Oh, "trolling": you most misused word on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross
    Guess that sexism isn't so "secret" after all.
    Yes, the misandry on this forum is quite blatant.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I voted yes. I read this though and then thought it about it agin.

Now I definitely agree with her.
    As I told Marm recently: tell someone who gives a shit.

No offense, Highlander, but the meaning of things has never quite appeared to you unless it hit you square between the eyes.

Fyi, I broke up with Silly over a year ago.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I think that irrational men are more likely to mask their irrationality behind a bogus wall of 'logic speak', due to what society has taught them. And in a way, it incapacitates them even further, as they often buy their own bullshit and aren t aware they even have blindspots.
    Exactly.

I think one easily recognizable irrational trait of 'rational' people is aggression. Is there any way to view aggression of any kind as anything but fundamentally irrational? Is there any reason for aggression outside of a person having some subjective investment (or a feeling of entitlement) in a particular outcome?

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    One could certainly argue this, but one would be wrong. Greater emotional mastery will cause women to approach everything emotionally, whether or not that is the best approach. Conversely, men will tend to approach everything rationally. Each group will tend to overrely on their area of mastery/comfort.

The real question is which group suffers more for the imbalance? Is it worse to approach emotional matters rationally, or rational matters emotionally?
    I do not think either ‘emotional matters’ or ‘rational matters’ can be resolved without some appropriate marriage of both emotional awareness and rationality.

Greater emotional mastery leads to a person being able to account for how their emotions are affecting their rational judgment. Studies have shown that emotional reactions to stimuli happen faster than the logical processing of that stimuli, and play a rather big role in influencing the direction we take shaping that logic (the amygdala responds first); this is not something that NTs/’rational’ people are exempt from. Even the most ‘rational’ of matters in the most ‘rational’ of people will likely have some subjective attachment- and someone more emotionally aware will be able to discern how their own attachments are affecting their judgment. Someone lacking the emotional mastery to understand how their own subjectivity affects their ‘logical’ judgment is more likely to believe their ideas are more objective/rational than they actually are. [It's no coincidence that those who systematically believe their ideas are more objective/rational than they actually are are the first ones to get aggressive in discussion when others do not agree with them.]
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari