User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are women more irrational than men?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 27.27%
  • No

27 61.36%
  • Kinda-sorta

5 11.36%
First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    No worries.

As a thinker, I can agree with you.

There's a proper amount of logic that can be applied to any situation: go over it, or under it, and you start slipping into irrationality (over-rationality on one end, and under-rationality on the other).

There is more to the world than just logic and reason.
    Well maybe women are better at being the perfect amount of logical.

I'm kidding. I actually think hardly anyone can do this.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It could be nature or nurture, but men generally demonstrate more compartmentalism in their cognitive functioning. It has been fascinating to me to see how men can demonstrate certain compartments of clear reasoning, but then also be capable of a level of irrationality that is equally impressive. I have found men also capable of much more single-mindedness and even obsession in their irrationality.

The most accepted forms of male irrationality are associated with power and so are viewed in a different light. Aggression, sports enthusiasm, etc. are clear examples of extreme irrationality, but are seen as different from crying. I have found it is generally far easier to reason with someone who is sad than someone who is angry because anger is deeply connected to feeling entitled and powerful. A person is much more ready to feel empowered when sad than to become reasoned when angry. In this way I find men are capable of far more extreme degrees of irrationality as accepted by society.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    bad

Wondering why the "No"option with 4 voters.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    It could be nature or nurture, but men generally demonstrate more compartmentalism in their cognitive functioning. It has been fascinating to me to see how men can demonstrate certain compartments of clear reasoning, but then also be capable of a level of irrationality that is equally impressive. I have found men also capable of much more single-mindedness and even obsession in their irrationality.

The most accepted forms of male irrationality are associated with power and so are viewed in a different light. Aggression, sports enthusiasm, etc. are clear examples of extreme irrationality, but are seen as different from crying. I have found it is generally far easier to reason with someone who is sad than someone who is angry because anger is deeply connected to feeling entitled and powerful. A person is much more ready to feel empowered when sad than to become reasoned when angry. In this way I find men are capable of far more extreme degrees of irrationality as accepted by society.
    Well put.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Infinite Bubble

Well, there are definite differences in ways of reasoning between males and females. But one could say both are rational, but under contrasting sets of values. Society has of course elevated the validity of "male rationality" to a higher degree than the "irrational emotionalism" that females supposedly operate with. I'd say rationality is relative and as such is up to the individual.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The simplest way to define differences in gender-based irrationality (whether culturally instilled or nature) can be summed up in one word: "ego".

"Ego" is by nature the truest form of subjectivity because it values the self over the external world. The ability to comprehend and deal with what happens externally is what objectivity is, while being limited to comprehending only the Self is ego. I don't personally think this is innate to gender, but society accepts and defines the "male ego" while the term the "female ego" is rarely mentioned. There are egotistical women for certain, and just like the case with either gender it does make a person capable of more irrationality. To whatever extent a society accepts the "male ego" (or "female ego") as legitimizing an action, is the same extent it accepts irrationality in that same context.

I am interested to hear arguments to the contrary.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I'm pretty sure I know a bunch of stupid people on both ends... and some very smart people as well.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    There's a reason Keirsey called the NTs the Rationals, and not the NFs.
    You have said in the past you don't like Keirsey's Typology, and here you are referrencing his work... I'm a bit confused.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I'll just leave this here...

(Also, I voted yes.)
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    bad

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    I'll just leave this here...

(Also, I voted yes.)

You wasted my time.I should not watch it.