User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are women more irrational than men?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 27.27%
  • No

27 61.36%
  • Kinda-sorta

5 11.36%
First 71516171819 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    ...It kind of ruins the point you are trying to make about me not being your type though and giving me a 'rational' explanation for it

And fiction is meant to touch us where it hurts and where we love. It has been proven to increase empathy, imagination and teach us lessons that we can apply to our own lives. It is specifically engineered to be a tear-jerker, or a mood-lifter, or whatever that specific type of fiction is aiming at.

Now...that said, I can see how Greys anatomy would not be your cup of tea. Different triggers for different people
    its irrational to get emotional from something that isnt real
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Society

for this specific sub-convo i think this is worth extending on:

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    • you have a higher chance of death or injury than in most civiian jobs
    you framed it wrong - or rather - a young man going into the army doesn't really let himself consciously care for the most part about the chance of his own death - "we'll all die someday".

so @TheStarchDefenders - here's the flip side that does need advertising:

your own chances are still pretty good - quite above the coin flip. but that just means the numbers go to other people, and the chances that you will survive without seen some of your best fucking friends dying - nearly zero. i am not talking about highschool friends or online friends or coworkers, i am talking about people friends who saved your ass and relied on you to save theirs. the PTSD? the higher suicide rate? those aren't numbers coming from nothing, they reflect a very simple fact that most of the people who come out of that crap - aren't particularly happy people.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStarchDefenders View Post
    I currently hold that is a civilian responsibility to prevent an unjust war or to end one through pressure on elected officals. Soldiers don't decide when and what they will fight for. American soldiers aren't mercenaries.
    take a larger perspective here:
    i am not a pacifist - i think there are certainly times where going into a war is better than not regardless if it's for the right reasons - but the current reality is that within the american system there are too many people doing it - at which point the less there are, the more cautious the military has to be in choosing where to put them. by adding yourself to the pool, you are increasing supply, reducing the value, and further enabling over-consumption rates (of soldiers). further more - the benefit system itself is over flooded, and you'll be contributing to that too, making it more difficult for existing veterans to enjoy it.
    the reason this isn't as obvious as it would be is because unlike private sector jobs, the military functions based on justifying budgets: in order for everyone to maintain their seats in higher position and to have more room for promotions, operations must be continuously expended, not decreased. so unlike a private organization, instead of showing that they are making best use of their budget, the people in the military have the most to gain from showing the exact opposite - that the current budget isn't enough - so that they can increase it or at least provide a deterrent from decreasing it. the less they need, the more they need to show that they need more. this is why you'll never see them going "ok, we have reached our soldiers quota" - it has being passed long ago, but the cost of maintaining more soldiers is critical for justifying budget increases.

someone needs to do it - but the numbers needed for that are already doing it - and those that are doing it anyway are reducing the value of those who are needed. if you're going to do something because it needs to be done - someone needs a garbage truck driver too.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    its irrational to get emotional from something that isnt real
    It is irrational to try and convince me Im about as far as you can get from being your type as possible when you are fighting to maintain eye contact with my actual eyes instead of my chest

Personally, I enjoy indulging my imagination as well, so I will gladly cry when something on tv moves me. I dont see anything irrational about enjoying the effect fiction can have on us. And you won't see me rationalizing a lie that I was no where near moved by that episode afterwards by claiming allergies btw
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

It is irrational to try and convince me Im about as far as you can get from being your type as possible when you are fighting to maintain eye contact with my actual eyes instead of my chest

Personally, I enjoy indulging my imagination as well, so I will gladly cry when something on tv moves me. I dont see anything irrational about enjoying the effect fiction can have on us. And you won't see me rationalizing a lie that I was no where near moved by that episode afterwards by claiming allergies btw
    You see eyes caught you attention so easily because iris and pupil are round, breasts are also round, therefore its totally 100% rational to confuse your breasts with your eyes and not be sure which ones to stare at
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

You see eyes caught you attention so easily because iris and pupil are round, breasts are also round, therefore its totally 100% rational to confuse your breasts with your eyes and not be sure which ones to stare at
    That has got to be the most ludicrous explanation ever.

But it is an original one, I ll give ya that
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

That has got to be the most ludicrous explanation ever.

But it is an original one, I ll give ya that
    now you are just being completely irrational
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I don't think this is nurture. The corpus collusum in the brain of women is thicker (binds the two hemispheres together) and it allows men to be able compartmentalize their feelings from their need to act or be logical, which has been explained as a trait which evolved so that men are able to "detach" in order to do things like go away to war.
    What are you basing this statement on?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    for this specific sub-convo i think this is worth extending on:

you framed it wrong - or rather - a young man going into the army doesn't really let himself consciously care for the most part about the chance of his own death - "we'll all die someday".

so @TheStarchDefenders - here's the flip side that does need advertising:

your own chances are still pretty good - quite above the coin flip. but that just means the numbers go to other people, and the chances that you will survive without seen some of your best fucking friends dying - nearly zero. i am not talking about highschool friends or online friends or coworkers, i am talking about people friends who saved your ass and relied on you to save theirs. the PTSD? the higher suicide rate? those aren't numbers coming from nothing, they reflect a very simple fact that most of the people who come out of that crap - aren't particularly happy people.

take a larger perspective here:
    i am not a pacifist - i think there are certainly times where going into a war is better than not regardless if it's for the right reasons - but the current reality is that within the american system there are too many people doing it - at which point the less there are, the more cautious the military has to be in choosing where to put them. by adding yourself to the pool, you are increasing supply, reducing the value, and further enabling over-consumption rates (of soldiers). further more - the benefit system itself is over flooded, and you'll be contributing to that too, making it more difficult for existing veterans to enjoy it.
    the reason this isn't as obvious as it would be is because unlike private sector jobs, the military functions based on justifying budgets: in order for everyone to maintain their seats in higher position and to have more room for promotions, operations must be continuously expended, not decreased. so unlike a private organization, instead of showing that they are making best use of their budget, the people in the military have the most to gain from showing the exact opposite - that the current budget isn't enough - so that they can increase it or at least provide a deterrent from decreasing it. the less they need, the more they need to show that they need more. this is why you'll never see them going "ok, we have reached our soldiers quota" - it has being passed long ago, but the cost of maintaining more soldiers is critical for justifying budget increases.

someone needs to do it - but the numbers needed for that are already doing it - and those that are doing it anyway are reducing the value of those who are needed. if you're going to do something because it needs to be done - someone needs a garbage truck driver too.
    Mane. I don't want to talk about this with you. I know your opinion from Vent. You didn't like your stent. Great. Quit trying to tell me how my life is going to go.
    Dirt Farmer

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

now you are just being completely irrational
    You know, you make me want to celebrate my irrationality instead of hide it in shame
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

You know, you make me want to celebrate my irrationality instead of hide it in shame
    nice to see something good coming out of trolling
    — C.G. Jung

Read