• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Living life in the public eye

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I didn't know where else to put this thread so I put it here.

Occasionally, I have tried to imagine what it must be like to live life in the public eye. Maybe as a celebrity, but moreso, as a politician. The kind where you are always speaking to people, individually and in groups (sometimes very large) and pretty much everything you do or say is broadcasted everywhere. How comfortable these people must feel to be so... public. I bet they never feel shy or insecure or non-confident. I bet they never worry. Take for instance, President Obama. Every word he says is pretty much published somewhere and scrutinized, and he knows it. Speaking in public and to the world is as comfortable to him as breathing. This blows my mind. I guess the same is true for some performers too.

But, uhh, yeah, I guess there is no purpose to this thread except to get this off my chest, so if anyone wants to comment or add their thoughts, feel free.

(PS - would this be considered me having Ni or Ne thoughts?)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Or perhaps those people aren't more comfortable, but have simply learned to live with suffocating insecurity.

W

WALMART

Yeah, it must really suck. I like Dave's perspective on the subject, though I'm not sure how relevant it is.

(Don't mind the Illuminati BS, that's the uploader's perspective of something very tangibly understandable)

As far as Ne or Ni... Hm. I've always chalked Ni up to a detached, multi-perspective type ordeal, while Ne is more flowy and natural. Probably Ni + Fe.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Giggly, cut the smoke and mirrors and just tell us which famous person you are. :rolleyes:

;)

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
But, uhh, yeah, I guess there is no purpose to this thread except to get this off my chest, so if anyone wants to comment or add their thoughts, feel free.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Who do people say it must suck or is uncomfortable? I think it's the opposite for them!

As far as Ne or Ni... Hm. I've always chalked Ni up to a detached, multi-perspective type ordeal, while Ne is more flowy and natural. Probably Ni + Fe.

So you think this thread is Ni+Fe?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I suppose some people must crave the attention.

I mean, there are plenty of people out there whose big dream is to be famous. In some cases, they must only really crave the wealth that goes with it, but I suspect there are those who actually want that. The fact that people scrutinize their words is probably something that is counteracted by the high status they have. They probably learn to not take every criticism at face value, or already do that naturally.

I'd say the topic involves intuition. You're essentially asking yourself, "How would I feel if I were exposed to the limelight like that? How would I react to that criticism?"

Ne can be multi-perspective too. But then, I'm very unclear about Ni, which is the second most bewildering function for me (the champion is Fi).

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't know where else to put this thread so I put it here.

Occasionally, I have tried to imagine what it must be like to live life in the public eye. Maybe as a celebrity, but moreso, as a politician. The kind where you are always speaking to people, individually and in groups (sometimes very large) and pretty much everything you do or say is broadcasted everywhere. How comfortable these people must feel to be so... public. I bet they never feel shy or insecure or non-confident. I bet they never worry. Take for instance, President Obama. Every word he says is pretty much published somewhere and scrutinized, and he knows it. Speaking in public and to the world is as comfortable to him as breathing. This blows my mind. I guess the same is true for some performers too.

(PS - would this be considered me having Ni or Ne thoughts?)

I imagine these people have plenty of concerns &/or baggage, like any of us.. and probably take more measures to protect what little privacy they have than we'll ever know. Makes sense to put on a brave face when the whole world's watching you, though. I'd assume it's armor, to some degree.

Perhaps some of these people just have to avoid giving scrutiny too much thought, lest they drive themselves mad. So it's not necessarily comfort with the spotlight, but the ability to withstand the heat (because whatever they're doing is worth it).

I'm only making guesses, though. I'm sure there are people who do live the charmed life, and enjoy every minute of media time spent on them.

Mole

Permabanned
The Delusion

Everyone posting on Central is in the public eye. Everything we write is public and can be read by anyone on the planet.

What is amazing is that we still think we are private. We imagine we are private on Central. This is just another delusion.

But why do we have this delusion, this group delusion?

jewelluckystar05

MBTI Type
ESTP
I guess because it's not a mainstream social network, so there's enough absence of suggestions for likes or games to have a real conversation, and having to deal with less idiots who make you want to say you worry about who you want to add to your page, I'll worry about who I want to add to mine, things like that make it feel more like a group.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I hope random people read some of the shit I have to say, and one of my early vexations (at around 20) with writing a novel was that I wanted to feel like I had something adequately important to say, then the Internet took that hurdle away, I could suddenly say whatever the hell I wanted and didn't have to submit a novel to a publisher, I could talk about my mom and my grandma and my cat, and SOMEONE would read it....and a lot of writers, artists, performers and politicians also feel this way. Obama wants people to listen to what he has to say.

People who are artists and politicians usually have some kind of inherent desire to be heard, whether overt or covert. Covert possibly in cases like Stephen King...who is one of the most fucking prolific writers, you can read his novels and basically not be surprised when you read his biography; he said once he would have been a serial killer if he wasn't a novelist, and it was because of his childhood...he had to ...put it..somewhere.

And I always felt it when I read his novels. I read a lot of Stephen King growing up, and I had this sensation after about six or eight novels that I was looking inside of his head, at him, really, as a person.

Writers are a different breed, though, they basically want to spill out their soul without being followed around by the paparazzi.

It's a different form of privacy. People who want paparazzi following them around basically don't want you to know their soul, and people who are writers want to tell you everything, but live in a secret location and only be seen physically by the light of day once per year.

I have always thought what a horrible burden it would be to be famous. I have had men approach me in public places who recognized me when I was a dancer, or people find my professional photographs or videos on-line, and I really do not like being approached. It has given me a really deep respect for celebrities. When I see really really famous people like actors or musicians I don't approach them or try to wave to them, I think it would be horrifying to even do such a thing, such an invasion of space.

I used to say I would like to be rich without being famous, but the truth is that I want to be heard, and I always have, ever since I crawled up on my grandparents coffee table in my patent leather shoes when I was three or four.

I would hate to be followed by the paparazzi though. That kind of shit is fucking scary, I could never be an actress, people ask me sometimes if that's why I came to L.A. and I'm like UM BIG HUGE NO ON THAT FRONT...I also see how the presidency ages people, how harshly men seem to age when they're in the White House.

I would hate to be followed by cameras. That would be horrible. I would probably not be able to handle it, I'd go into hiding or something.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Everyone posting on Central is in the public eye. Everything we write is public and can be read by anyone on the planet.

What is amazing is that we still think we are private. We imagine we are private on Central. This is just another delusion.

But why do we have this delusion, this group delusion?

I have no delusions of privacy. That's why I changed my user name, no matter how many times people insist they like an earlier one better.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Thinking about that sort of exposure always scares/depresses me. Especially with people like royal families or children of celebrities/politicians, who had no say regarding their placement in the public panopticon. Although that might be just my shyness/fear of scrutiny.

I guess some people like it, though. Still, it's kind of an... impersonal form of appreciation, like Marmotini said. Scores of people blowing kisses towards the glossy image you're not sure is yourself.

I can't compare it to online journals or whatever, though, unless you're sort of an internet celebrity. It's closer to Marm's writer mindset.

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I imagine these people have plenty of concerns &/or baggage, like any of us.. and probably take more measures to protect what little privacy they have than we'll ever know. Makes sense to put on a brave face when the whole world's watching you, though. I'd assume it's armor, to some degree.

Perhaps some of these people just have to avoid giving scrutiny too much thought, lest they drive themselves mad. So it's not necessarily comfort with the spotlight, but the ability to withstand the heat (because whatever they're doing is worth it).

I'm only making guesses, though. I'm sure there are people who do live the charmed life, and enjoy every minute of media time spent on them.

This! I'm willing to bet it's not all about fame. Sometimes, you're just really into what you do, and as a side effect - whether it's the career/territory, a case of being really good at it, or both - people learn your name.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually, what caused me to think about this was running across a youtube video of an interview of both Bill and Hillary Clinton AFTER his infamous white house affair with Monica Lewinsky. The interviewer asked Hillary how she felt afterwards and what she did, and she answered. They also asked how the affair effected their marriage. Very private stuff and they both answered like it was nothing. Another thing that made me think about this was watching this speech by Obama. He's just so comfortable giving it. It's like breathing to him and he lives like this all the time when you think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9mzJhvC-8E

roman67

That Illuminati video was really shocking, i was thinking these was just rumors.