User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned

Default Psychological impact of posting/not on this or other forums?

Be aware, I guess, that posting on such a forum can be extremely detrimental to your psychological well being. Having been away, I definitely saw an uptick in my quality of life. I enjoy people more in person, I find them to be extremely complex and challenging, which causes in me gain that I could never have achieved over this medium. If you were like me, coming up, you'll isolate yourself...a lot. You'll run to platforms for people interaction (such as this) where you feel safe and comfortable and in control of the situation. In doing so, you'll be sacrificing experiences that everyone, at least here, wants and, I'd argue, needs.

When you're not beating your mind up senseless, life is actually pretty amazing. It's almost saddening, but not really, to know that it won't be like this, one day. But then again, it makes you appreciate it even more. Almost like angst, but in its positive form. That's how I perceive it a lot of the time.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The forum should be a place to reflect, not your only form of life. I don't think it's damaging to your psychological health to post on a forum.

Unless that's all you do. I mean if you introvert to the point that you just hang out on forums day after day, sure you will get depressed.

You have to balance Internet life with real life. I actually find that forums help me tremendously to talk about and psychologically process things that I wouldn't talk about normally with a lot of people IRL.

I tend to tell a great deal of stuff to boyfriends, or maybe a close female friend, but if I don't have one at the time, I will become very private. I'll socialize, I'll talk to people, but I won't talk about the things I do on the forum.

Also, sometimes when I talk about politics or religion IRL its rude, will offend people, or their eyes just might glaze over.

In some ways people show you more of themselves on-line, I don't think you really know people all the way sometimes if you've only seen their in-person facade. Sometimes people open up more in writing, because of the feeling of anonymity or not having to say it out loud.

I definitely think that there's a point to what you're saying, but it's way oversimplified to the point of someone spending way too much time on forums and that's all they do.

In that case, I agree!

I also find that if I don't want to have "heavy" discussions about controversial things, I stay off of forums, because it's a particular kind of stress to debate ideas and opinions.

But on the other hand I need an outlet for it, because unfortunately I don't have my own advice column.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Be aware, I guess, that posting on such a forum can be extremely detrimental to your psychological well being. Having been away, I definitely saw an uptick in my quality of life.
    So why are you still posting?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    So why are you still posting?
    Point taken.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

-----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Totally agree but I'm just buying time for now. I have other things I'm trying to accomplish.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I'm perplexed by this question.

The forums have absolutely no impact on my life whatsoever. I visit and post when there's a lull in the activities going on in my life, because I enjoy all the mental sparring and discussion that goes on here. It's great seeing all this different personalities mingle and converse. I feel it helps me learn quite a bit about how people think.

But that's about it.

Why would it "affect" me?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

Ginkgo

I get what you're saying and when I recall some of the content of your old posts, I'm glad you've found a worthy passion. However, I think forums impact you in virtually the same way you choose to impact them; enjoyment comes down to how willing you are to moderate your activity here and re-examine how it fits in to the formula of your priorities.

To be honest, there are times when I find it far easier to deal with people irl. There, people tend to not archive your activities and there's little worry that your personal embarrassments will float around in the deep web somewhere as long as you judiciously monitor your interactions. Actually, I feel more certainty in irl interactions when it comes to gauging the nature of your personal relationships with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    Why would it "affect" me?
    If we live in a spoken culture, it affects us by tribalising us.

And if we live in a literate culture, it affects us by individualising us.

And if we live in an electronic culture, it affects us by retribalising us.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

...what?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~