• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychological impact of posting/not on this or other forums?

xisnotx

Permabanned
Be aware, I guess, that posting on such a forum can be extremely detrimental to your psychological well being. Having been away, I definitely saw an uptick in my quality of life. I enjoy people more in person, I find them to be extremely complex and challenging, which causes in me gain that I could never have achieved over this medium. If you were like me, coming up, you'll isolate yourself...a lot. You'll run to platforms for people interaction (such as this) where you feel safe and comfortable and in control of the situation. In doing so, you'll be sacrificing experiences that everyone, at least here, wants and, I'd argue, needs.

When you're not beating your mind up senseless, life is actually pretty amazing. It's almost saddening, but not really, to know that it won't be like this, one day. But then again, it makes you appreciate it even more. Almost like angst, but in its positive form. That's how I perceive it a lot of the time.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The forum should be a place to reflect, not your only form of life. I don't think it's damaging to your psychological health to post on a forum.

Unless that's all you do. I mean if you introvert to the point that you just hang out on forums day after day, sure you will get depressed.

You have to balance Internet life with real life. I actually find that forums help me tremendously to talk about and psychologically process things that I wouldn't talk about normally with a lot of people IRL.

I tend to tell a great deal of stuff to boyfriends, or maybe a close female friend, but if I don't have one at the time, I will become very private. I'll socialize, I'll talk to people, but I won't talk about the things I do on the forum.

Also, sometimes when I talk about politics or religion IRL its rude, will offend people, or their eyes just might glaze over.

In some ways people show you more of themselves on-line, I don't think you really know people all the way sometimes if you've only seen their in-person facade. Sometimes people open up more in writing, because of the feeling of anonymity or not having to say it out loud.

I definitely think that there's a point to what you're saying, but it's way oversimplified to the point of someone spending way too much time on forums and that's all they do.

In that case, I agree!

I also find that if I don't want to have "heavy" discussions about controversial things, I stay off of forums, because it's a particular kind of stress to debate ideas and opinions.

But on the other hand I need an outlet for it, because unfortunately I don't have my own advice column.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Be aware, I guess, that posting on such a forum can be extremely detrimental to your psychological well being. Having been away, I definitely saw an uptick in my quality of life.
So why are you still posting?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Totally agree but I'm just buying time for now. I have other things I'm trying to accomplish.

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm perplexed by this question.

The forums have absolutely no impact on my life whatsoever. I visit and post when there's a lull in the activities going on in my life, because I enjoy all the mental sparring and discussion that goes on here. It's great seeing all this different personalities mingle and converse. I feel it helps me learn quite a bit about how people think.

But that's about it.

Why would it "affect" me?

G

Ginkgo

I get what you're saying and when I recall some of the content of your old posts, I'm glad you've found a worthy passion. However, I think forums impact you in virtually the same way you choose to impact them; enjoyment comes down to how willing you are to moderate your activity here and re-examine how it fits in to the formula of your priorities.

To be honest, there are times when I find it far easier to deal with people irl. There, people tend to not archive your activities and there's little worry that your personal embarrassments will float around in the deep web somewhere as long as you judiciously monitor your interactions. Actually, I feel more certainty in irl interactions when it comes to gauging the nature of your personal relationships with others.

Mole

Permabanned
Why would it "affect" me?

If we live in a spoken culture, it affects us by tribalising us.

And if we live in a literate culture, it affects us by individualising us.

And if we live in an electronic culture, it affects us by retribalising us.

G

garbage

I'm selective about who I talk to anyway. It's easier to select online. I don't think I have any complexes as a result.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Worst thing this forum does to me, is give me another goddamn site to be addicted to, besides Facebook. :doh:

The forum in itself doesn't give me issues. Otherwise I wouldn't be here.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Now that I think about it, maybe OP is uncomfortable with how forum makes him feel because what he thinks about when he's here.

I've often used it as some kind of purging tool or something, and if he does the same, but is very uncomfortable with doing that, he may find it draining.

If he's using the forum in some way to ruminate personal issues, but that's an uncomfortable thing for him, then he may find the forum stressful.

I've seen far worse on other web sites. I was led by someone to another site that has nothing to do with MBTI, and the place isn't as moderated, and on the surface it actually seems tamer in some ways because of the format and subject matter (I have NO IDEA why people act so pretentious and mouthy on MBTI sites, it's almost like there's a certain kind of obnoxiousness that prevails on MBTI-related sites) ...but dude, once I was there, I realized there were FAR FAR CRAZIER people on that site than I've ever even seen here.

People were arguing about really personal things with people they weren't even planning on sleeping with. I mean I'm talking about adults between the ages of 25-45 who aren't even romantically involved saying things to each other like "yes and I know that's why you went to Canada honey, look at my profile and I have proof of all your lies!"

I'm just like what the...I don't even...