12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default What good is grief?

This is something that I've wondered about for a while. Emotions provide the fuel for us - our passions, motivation, our inspirations. Fear causes us to be cautious. Anger spurs us to act and take a stand. Joy is replenishing. All emotions - negative or positive - pretty much have a positive in my mind.

But grief - and the associated depression - I see no redeeming value in this whatsoever. It seems like all downside. If grief were to be obliterated from the human experience, would things be better or worse? Is there any positive value in it whatsoever?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Not everything has to be adaptive. Shit happens, we get sad. We lose something - we feel it's loss.
    Grief is just a more extreme form of feeling loss. If you want to look for a way in which it can be adaptive, being loss-averse (we experience loss, we don't like it, we try hard not to lose in the future) makes us risk-averse, which can mean we end up losing less of the time. In the context of human beings, it might make us take better care of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Grief changes us like nothing else can. It strips us of who were are or thought we were. It cleans our slate so we can replenish it with something new. It's akin to death.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Grieving can be beneficial in two key ways, the comprehension of the value of bonds and the ability to accept that those bonds are impermanent. The stronger the grief, the more work that needs to be done in this area. It is an opportunity to increase our awareness and progress. When grief has ran its course it is highly liberating, one has broken through a mental limit or type of bondage they did not believe they could, which is also empowering.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    But grief - and the associated depression - I see no redeeming value in this whatsoever. It seems like all downside. If grief were to be obliterated from the human experience, would things be better or worse? Is there any positive value in it whatsoever?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    I see grief as an indicator of psychological pain/injury, and by-product of the healing process. When we have a physical injury or wound, say a broken leg or even a surgery, we experience physical pain, which changes and eventually (one hopes) abates as healing progresses. We try to minimize this with comfort measures, but physical pain is a valuable and necessary indicator of something wrong.

Grief plays the same role for at least certain non-physical wounds. We can apply comfort measures - quiet reflection, time with friends, etc. - and as healing progresses, the grief becomes easier to bear.

I suppose I am saying not so much that grief itself has a purpose, but that it necessarily accompanies something else that does. I'm not sure we could remove the feelings of grief and still have productive healing of loss.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Grief is just a more extreme form of feeling loss. If you want to look for a way in which it can be adaptive, being loss-averse (we experience loss, we don't like it, we try hard not to lose in the future) makes us risk-averse, which can mean we end up losing less of the time. In the context of human beings, it might make us take better care of them.
    This is the only thing I can come up as far as it having value with respect to evolution of the species. Thousands or even hundreds of years ago, if we were to lose a person close to us, say a child (which happened a lot back then), it would cause you to be more careful in the future with other loved ones. I can see it there actually having a purpose. I think this is less value in modern society.

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Grief changes us like nothing else can. It strips us of who were are or thought we were. It cleans our slate so we can replenish it with something new. It's akin to death.
    This seems important because it knocks you off kilter - maybe you can no longer ignore certain things that have been swept under the rug. I can see the potential as a catalyst for change in those cases where it is tied to a significant life change. I can see the potential this has for good but I can also see the potential for bad. When people have a child that dies, it often leads to divorce. How can that be good? Also, if a parent dies and you grieve the loss - I don't see how that cleans our slate. We're just really sad this person is gone. There is nothing to change. We all die.

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Grieving can be beneficial in two key ways, the comprehension of the value of bonds and the ability to accept that those bonds are impermanent. The stronger the grief, the more work that needs to be done in this area. It is an opportunity to increase our awareness and progress. When grief has ran its course it is highly liberating, one has broken through a mental limit or type of bondage they did not believe they could, which is also empowering.
    This sounds important but I'm not entirely clear what you're saying. How is it liberating? Can you provide an example?

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post

I see grief as an indicator of psychological pain/injury, and by-product of the healing process. When we have a physical injury or wound, say a broken leg or even a surgery, we experience physical pain, which changes and eventually (one hopes) abates as healing progresses. We try to minimize this with comfort measures, but physical pain is a valuable and necessary indicator of something wrong.

Grief plays the same role for at least certain non-physical wounds. We can apply comfort measures - quiet reflection, time with friends, etc. - and as healing progresses, the grief becomes easier to bear.

I suppose I am saying not so much that grief itself has a purpose, but that it necessarily accompanies something else that does. I'm not sure we could remove the feelings of grief and still have productive healing of loss.
    It's a great analogy. Physical pain tells us something is wrong. It causes us to rest the injured joint thereby helping it to heal. I think what you are saying is that it tells us we need to make changes to help us heal. It also brings others to us because they see the distress and that something is wrong. That makes some sense. Psychological pain/injury seems more nebulous than physical injury. Less concrete. Grief generally lasts longer than physical pain so I guess it takes longer for those kinds of injuries to heal.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

If it's grief from loss, maybe it helps you appreciate what you have. Maybe it teaches you strength from endurance.
    Likes highlander liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    If it's grief from loss, maybe it helps you appreciate what you have.
    Yes. My experience lines up with that.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Yes. My experience lines up with that.
    I have to say that some grief has left me with a degree of sadness that just won't or hasn't yet gone away and that sadness does seem rather useless.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Grief is like house cleaning. It's the flushing of the past out of our minds and bodies. If we don't allow ourselves to experience grief, we can become angry, depressed, start acting out, and in some situations, continue clinging to unhealthy patterns or ways of being. Grief is the process of emotional change, and coping with that change.

If we did not experience grief when a person leaves our life through a break-up, divorce, or death, it's highly unlikely we'd value them so much when they were around.

I think I had to flush out some remaining grief in the past week, and it's been a really good experience for me. Of course it was do more to a break-up experience than a death (which is a form of grief I've also experienced in my life, and it's different, ofc) but I learned a great deal from it.

I'm actually glad I faced it and went through it. I realized some things.

Grief is the process of "letting go" of what no longer serves us or is no longer available to us on this plane of existence.