Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Grief changes us like nothing else can. It strips us of who were are or thought we were. It cleans our slate so we can replenish it with something new. It's akin to death.
    I like this answer.
    Likes Noon liked this post

MBTI
    INFP

To grieve is to purge oneself of bad feelings, rather than to repress them or to express them in a less suitable manner.

Also, I love Beringer Pinot Grigio.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I have to say that some grief has left me with a degree of sadness that just won't or hasn't yet gone away and that sadness does seem rather useless.
    Exactly

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Grief allows us to come to terms with any tremendously difficult and emotional experience. Without grief, it would seem as though there would only be detachment born from the undealt emotions which grief serves to address. A person can acquire wisdom and insight through their grieving if they choose to. For example, gaining a greater awareness of death after someone has passed on. I feel all emotions serve a purpose in some way.
    “The first progressive step by a mind overwhelmed by the strangeness of things is to realize that this feeling of strangeness is shared with all men and that human reality, in its entirety, suffers from the distance which separates it from the rest of the universe." -Albert Camus

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I find it useless to feel sadness and grief. They hold you back. They trap you in chains. It's far better to be ambitious and to overcome adversity, rather than feeling sorry for yourself.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It can be an opportunity for growth and personal reflection. Grief causes us to ask questions about life, and how we live. Grief washes away the things we take for granted and we see them again with new eyes.

Some people may start to connect with loved ones again after a loss, realizing that life is short and they don't want to take that time for granted anymore. And for some it could be a renewal of their own life, after realizing that they were not living it the way they wanted to be.

Many people have emerged from the depths of grief with a renewed sense of meaning and purpose in their life and a greater appreciation of loved ones, friends, and life.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    If we did not experience grief when a person leaves our life through a break-up, divorce, or death, it's highly unlikely we'd value them so much when they were around.
    Grief is a necessary result of the emotional connections we make as humans. The only way to feel no grief at a loss, be it death, breakup, or even the sense of a lost opportunity or dream, is to have no emotional attachment to these things. Physical pain is a part of our humanity, too, and we see the difficulties faced by people who are unable to sense physical pain. It is not a benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I find it useless to feel sadness and grief. They hold you back. They trap you in chains. It's far better to be ambitious and to overcome adversity, rather than feeling sorry for yourself.
    It certainly is. The key is to address your grief without wallowing in it; to keep it from becoming a trap, or holding you back. This is done by maintaining enough detachment to keep the grief in its place, but then remembering to go back to it in a timely and productive manner.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    That's avoiding it. Works in the short run but not in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post

It certainly is. The key is to address your grief without wallowing in it; to keep it from becoming a trap, or holding you back. This is done by maintaining enough detachment to keep the grief in its place, but then remembering to go back to it in a timely and productive manner.
    It's not easy to control like that.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639