User Tag List

First 1826272829 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    But people decide whether a text is to be prescriptive, or simply descriptive. A good illustration is the old (original) Star Trek episode, "A Piece of the Action" in which an entire society is ordered around the book "Chicago Mobs of the 20's", a volume obviously intended to be a historical account.

That's true, but you can also determine from the writing itself whether the author intended for the text to be prescriptive or descriptive based on things like the genre. One would be on the lookout for more direct prescriptive advice and commands in a letter from an apostle to a troubled church then in a long poem that's all about how awesome sex and romance is.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Because you cannot, absolutely cannot, assign psychosis to anyone. It can even be difficult for psychologists sometimes to tell the difference between bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder, just as an example.

I know because I think I've spent significantly more time studying mental illness than yourself. He actually isn't showing symptoms of schizophrenia. You could say his intensity is due to bipolar mania, but it could just as easily not.

Other people in this thread aren't terribly good at it either. I've actually seen people on this forum call me a narcissist, not even realizing that narcissists lack empathy, and I've been thoroughly psychoanalyzed; no traces of narcissism.

There's absolutely no academic basis for you calling someone mentally ill because they embrace a radically different value system than yourself. It would be like you calling Mormons, Quakers, and Hare Krishnas mentally ill.

Good luck with that. Really.

White nationalism isn't a cult. LOL. It's not any more of a cult than being an Objectivist or a Tea Partier or believing in Occupy Wall Street is a cult.

Please look up signs of a cult. Thanks.

I'm taking you less and less seriously by the second. Your baby ISFJ is showing.

I am privy to knowledge you are not. You've read about it in books and judged it by your own (apparently faulty and biased) standards, while I've actually spent a great deal of time actually conversing with these people, trying to see their point of view, and studying the resurgence of nationalism in general.

I am privy to information because I've actually talked to the people without treating them like psychotics, I've attempted to compare the sociological phenomenon to civilizations in recent history (very recent history, included, nationalism was popular until about mid-20th century) and I think just studied the subject more specifically and sympathetically than yourself.

I've had to deal with people like you before. One INTP I know has a PhD in Philosophy, specialization in Kant, and he's very uber-brainwashed extremist liberal, he has very intense Fe ethics that mirror the most extremist forms of multi-cultural liberalism, and I also don't take his opinion on the matter very seriously; just because you've gone to graduate school doesn't mean you're equipped to deal with every subject, especially a subject that clearly causes you to have a deep and irrational emotional response.

That's nice. Not that many people are "mentally ill." Don't over assign mental illness to people. It leads to a huge misunderstanding of basic human motives.

Hitler was mentally ill. But the entire country of Germany was anti-Semitic at the time. They weren't all mentally ill. Stop generalizing so much, it's really silly.

And I'm saying you aren't at all qualified to diagnose it. You don't seem to have an especially adept understanding of the human mind, though I admit you're quite good with political systems.

If he had a psychotic break with reality, his behavior wouldn't follow rationally consistent patterns with his personality.

Have a day, Professor Killjoy.
    The combination of stark arrogance and utter failure to comprehend the interlocutor's arguments in this post is mind-blowing.

Marm has Se'd. Marm knows best. Anything, especially what nobody is talking about.

I think I finally have to put you on ignore, Marm. Well done.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    That's true, but you can also determine from the writing itself whether the author intended for the text to be prescriptive or descriptive based on things like the genre. One would be on the lookout for more direct prescriptive advice and commands in a letter from an apostle to a troubled church then in a long poem that's all about how awesome sex and romance is.
    But genre reflects categorizations made by people. The Bible contains everything you desribe above, and more: apparently instructive letters, poems, songs, historical accounts, predictions, stories of different sorts. Many great works of literature contain a similar assortment of content. Context has an effect as well. At the time of its writing, the Declaration of Independence was prescriptive; now it is descriptive, marking a significant milestone in our history.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

But genre reflects categorizations made by people. The Bible contains everything you desribe above, and more: apparently instructive letters, poems, songs, historical accounts, predictions, stories of different sorts. Many great works of literature contain a similar assortment of content. Context has an effect as well. At the time of its writing, the Declaration of Independence was prescriptive; now it is descriptive, marking a significant milestone in our history.
    As as far as I'm concerned the Declaration of Independence is a prescriptive document as long as the USA continues to exist. I don't believe the constitution replaced the Declaration of Independence, but rather fulfilled the fundamental directives of the Declaration of Independence.

Do you consider this idea synonymous with yourself?
    No idea is synonymous with myself.

Just as there is no Chinese physics or American physics, there is only physics, there is no idea synonymous with Coriolis and no idea synonymous with Victor, there are only ideas.

The Person and the Idea

I'm criticizing you as a person
    I am formerly asking you to stop criticising me as a person and start criticising my ideas.

Personal Criticism

The fruits of mbti are personal criticism. Why is this?

Mbti is a fake personality test for those who want to know how they can fit in.

And fitting in involves criticising oneself as a person, and then how natural, how irresistible it is to criticise others as persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The fruits of mbti are personal criticism. Why is this?

Mbti is a fake personality test for those who want to know how they can fit in.

And fitting in involves criticising oneself as a person, and then how natural, how irresistible it is to criticise others as persons.
    Are you trying to troll me by doing the exact thing I said leads me to personally insult you?

That is, repeating the same old off-topic lines over and over again without any actual intention of real conversational engagement?

What's next? Are you going to wax on about how you're better than the Islamists who are such brutes that they'll kill over a personal insult?

Are you trying to troll me by doing the exact thing I said leads me to personally insult you?
    Should you keep on wilfully and deliberately personally insulting me, you may well find yourself permanently banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Should you keep on wilfully and deliberately personally insulting me, you may well find yourself permanently banned.
    I know I repped you that I wasn't going to post anymore, but I can't let this go.

In four years I haven't so much as recieved a warning for any post, so I don't take your threat seriously at all.
    I know how to walk the line.

I'm done.