User Tag List

First 132122232425 Last

Results 221 to 230 of 285

  1. #221
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Rome, both the Republic and the Empire, were based on institutional slavery.

    So a Roman could legally kill their own slaves, or legally torture their own slaves, or legally break up slave families, or legally rape their own slaves, men, women and children, and they could legally work their slaves to death.

    Jesus lived under the Roman Slave Empire and said not a word against institutional slavery. And Christianity supported institutional slavery right up to 1833 when the House of Commons abolished institutional slavery for the first time in history and sent the Royal Navy out into the Atlantic with orders to sink American slave ships.
    Actually Christianity was a huge motivator for the abolition of slavery, Victor.

    And you always talk about the superiority of Western logic in culture, and I'm pointing out that even Western logic has had its moral failures, and Rome and the United States are prime examples of that, as I was contrasting them to your Eastern examples.

  2. #222
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Actually Christianity was a huge motivator for the abolition of slavery, Victor.
    Actually everyone in Britain was a Christian from the Sovereign on down. And Christianity had supported slavery for 1,833 years. No, it was the Enlightenment and liberal democracy that led to the first abolition of institutional slavery.

  3. #223
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I don't think I've SERIOUSLY attempted to diagnose ANYONE on the forum with anything [...].
    If that is true, then neither has anyone in this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    [...] however I may have attributed malicious motives to people when there were none in certain incidents.
    You have indeed, even today (see: TheStarchDefenders).

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I said the sanest people I know are some of my yoga instructors, and that's because of their level of enlightenment mentally and spiritually that they have relatively lower neurosis (although all people are neurotic) than many other people.

    That doesn't mean they're the only sane people I know.
    Then I must have misinterpreted this exchange:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Do you know any sane people, Marm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Mostly just my yoga teachers.
    I admit, I remembered it as one teacher, not in the plural. Mea culpa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I'm not actually arguing anything strange at all. I think I'm one of the few people not spewing their moral bias all over this and translating it into "omgz you're insane."
    It is strange because of all the situations in which it would make sense to raise the generally sensible points you have, this one is certainly among the least appropriate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I've noticed that people don't like for others to change or grow, either. I've noticed it a lot on this forum, like if you didn't know something last year, how could you know it now.

    People grow. The only thing that stays the same is that things change.
    There is truth to it. I do appreciate it when people grow, however. I even noticed, as he then confirmed in somewhat different words, that Valiant had gone from delusional to fanatic since he last ran away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    So you guys trolling now or what?

    Or would you like to be alone together?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Yes, I presume you're trolling because your first post in the thread is in direct response to Nico saying something about me which is completely off topic.

    And your tone in this post indicates further trolling.

    I also know you both hang out in Vent.

    Try harder next time.
    My post was no more off topic than the post it was in response to, yours. Also, the bulk of the whole thread is off topic.

    No trolling, very little Vent time in the last couple of months, even his love is just platonic.

  4. #224
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    If that is true, then neither has anyone in this thread.


    You have indeed, even today (see: TheStarchDefenders).


    Then I must have misinterpreted this exchange:


    I admit, I remembered it as one teacher, not in the plural. Mea culpa.


    It is strange because of all the situations in which it would make sense to raise the generally sensible points you have, this one is certainly among the least appropriate.


    There is truth to it. I do appreciate it when people grow, however. I even noticed, as he then confirmed in somewhat different words, that Valiant had gone from delusional to fanatic since he last ran away.



    My post was no more off topic than the post it was in response to, yours. Also, the bulk of the whole thread is off topic.

    No trolling, very little Vent time in the last couple of months, even his love is just platonic.

    Nico all of your troll-y words don't erase the thoughtful validity of my point, and that is that white nationalism is not a form of psychosis, and I'm not sure why you would even drag a clearly facetious comment about my yoga instructors being the only sane people I know over here, I mean that obviously was a joke, where as in this thread people just kept jumping up and down and saying YLJ was mentally ill.

    I do want to point out yet again, though, that seeing traits of personality disorder or relationship-oriented neuroticism is quite different than calling a person psychotic.

    If you guys were saying he has a touch of meglomania, I might agree with you; but saying he's psychotic is just absurd.

    Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be putting you back on ignore.

  5. #225
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,375

    Default

    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

  6. #226
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Actually everyone in Britain was a Christian from the Sovereign on down. And Christianity had supported slavery for 1,833 years. No, it was the Enlightenment and liberal democracy that led to the first abolition of institutional slavery.
    Victor Christian abolitionists were paramount to the end of slavery, and it's easy to read the New Testament and see when Jesus came, that there was no longer Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, all are equal in the eyes of God. I'm not sure how you missed that part of the Bible, though yes of course there is historic accounts of slavery in the Bible, because it was a cultural norm.

    This sermon was pre-Enlightenment: "John Chrysostom (c. 347–407), archbishop of Constantinople, preaching on Acts 4:32-4:33 in a sermon entitled, "Should we not make it a heaven on earth?", stated, "I will not speak of slaves, since at that time there was no such thing, but doubtless such as were slaves they set at liberty..."

    I mean if someone was saying this and using Christianity as a basis in the 300s and 400s (not the 18th century) then perhaps the problem is that human culture changes slowly, even when high ideas are introduced.

    I personally think the purest interpretations of the teachings of Jesus have led to the most inclusive and equalizing churches, rather than some of the more severe and hierarchical institutions.

  7. #227
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Nico all of your troll-y words don't erase the thoughtful validity of my point, and that is that white nationalism is not a form of psychosis, and I'm not sure why you would even drag a clearly facetious comment about my yoga instructors being the only sane people I know over here, I mean that obviously was a joke, where as in this thread people just kept jumping up and down and saying YLJ was mentally ill.
    You made your complaint before anyone suggested he was psychotic, because, yes, you misunderstood Magic Poriferan's analogy about the homeless man. Saying that white nationalism is mentally sane, therefore Valient must be also, does not disprove anything either. He is not a movement, he is not the average of whoever believes this nonsense, but an individual person with individual mental qualities. Not all white supremacists are the same. And this one seems crazy.

    Whatever the degree of facetiousness in the quoted statement, it is not obviously a joke. In any case, given your many posts on the forum about fucked-up people, I did not see it as a clear joke.

    And, for the love of whatever you hold sacred, stop with the insinuation of trolling.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I do want to point out yet again, though, that seeing traits of personality disorder or relationship-oriented neuroticism is quite different than calling a person psychotic.

    If you guys were saying he has a touch of meglomania, I might agree with you; but saying he's psychotic is just absurd.

    Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be putting you back on ignore.
    No one has said that he is psychotic. Magic Poriferan has merely said that he thinks he is psychotic, and not before you came in already claiming the opposite.

  8. #228
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Nico, if you really think that I would seriously say my yoga instructors are the only sane people I know, you should probably stop reading my posts. Your license to drive on the Internet should possibly be revoked. I'm in my early 30s and have lived all over the United States, attended university, leave the house on a regular basis, have friends, and date. YOU SERIOUSLY THINK MY YOGA INSTRUCTORS ARE THE ONLY SANE PEOPLE I KNOW, OR THAT I BELIEVE THAT?

    That's why I have you on ignore. This conversation is ridiculous. I'm not interested in your amateur psychoanalysis of a person you probably have never even spoken with privately one-on-one on line.

  9. #229
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    YOU SERIOUSLY THINK MY YOGA INSTRUCTORS ARE THE ONLY SANE PEOPLE I KNOW, OR THAT I BELIEVE THAT?
    I seriously considered and went with the latter. You know why? Because of what I have read you say over the years. With most other people, it would be an obvious joke.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I'm not interested in your amateur psychoanalysis of a person you probably have never even spoken with privately one-on-one on line.
    And no one is interested in yours. I have not even offered mine.

  10. #230
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    Though I disagree with @Valiant 's point of view and was offended by his racist comments and was annoyed by the inaccuracies of his statement I do feel for him. Why? Because his culture/beliefs are truly threatened. When one's beliefs/culture is threatened one tend act quite defensive. Nationalism is a result of this feeling. Where I disagree with him and is 'opposed' to him was his unreasonable sense superiority complex and his insults directed/hinted at other races (there is a better word than unreasonable which I can't recall). His culture/beliefs which are progressive, tolerant, non-sexist, safe, etc truly is threatened, his country/countries are exploited by certain people those whom do not respect his culture and his people's rights to identify to their own race is considered racist but have to be tolerant to those others whom strongly identify to their own respective races. So I do understand his nationalism but isn't tolerant to his racism.

Similar Threads

  1. Race, Culture and MBTI
    By animenagai in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 10:27 PM
  2. Violence and Identity
    By Mole in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-27-2012, 10:57 PM
  3. believe and identity
    By The Machine Stops in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 07:54 PM
  4. [E9] Type 9 and Identity
    By DJAchtundvierzig in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 10:49 AM
  5. [NT] Intelligence, growth, and identity
    By Argus in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-06-2009, 10:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO