User Tag List

First 91718192021 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    some people would rather embrace Eastern philosophy
    If we embrace Buddhism, for instance, we are embracing the war crimes of the Sri Lankan Buddhists, and the dispossession, murders and burnings by the Burmese Buddhists.

But the blind Westerners embracing Buddhism keep telling us, and telling themselves, that Buddhism is a philosophy of peace.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    If we embrace Buddhism, for instance, we are embracing the war crimes of the Sri Lankan Buddhists, and the dispossession, murders and burnings by the Burmese Buddhists.

But the blind Westerners embracing Buddhism keep telling us, and telling themselves, that Buddhism is a philosophy of peace.
    Victor I wonder if you EVER examine how little sense some of the stuff you say contains.

People do bad things; there will always be groups of people who murder, some of them happen to be religious, and yes Buddhism, especially Zen Buddhism (more similar to Taoism and more popular in the West) is a religion of peace.

Sim was wrong about you. You have NO Ni, especially to be as old as you are, I think you're at least old enough to be my dad, and if you had tertiary Ni you'd have more perspective on this kind of thing.

I'm going INFP for you, with an excessively Si need to confuse the symbol with the object.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Please do cease with the "crazy" invective, folks.
    It seems more charitable than the alternative conclusions.

In all seriousness, though, I don't think anybody is seriously trying to diagnose this person with a mental illness. That would be an insult to the mentally ill.

@Valiant probably isn't mentally ill just because you don't agree with him; entire countries of people are racist nationalists, white nationalism is not comparable to a serial killer in San Francisco thinking a homeless man was a Biblical prophet who told him to murder.

I don't support his views at all, but describing him as psychotic is probably not at all true.
    Also, halocaust denying is NOT a feature of psychosis, it's a feature of extreme white nationalism.

You guys all seem really uneducated to me right now, I'm sorry, but you can't call people insane because you don't agree with, know about, or understand something.

I am NOT defending him in any way, even on European preservation forums, people like him are viewed as racists and extremists, rather than having a simple interest in European history and culture.

However, this conversation is crap. @Beorn is right.
    Well, nobody said he was psychotic specifically. In all fairness, though, I do think that a lot of the illucid things that he's written in this thread are signs of disordered thinking, which is usually a symptom of mental illness. But I wasn't even originally trying to go that far.

I'm not sure that I see where you're going with this, though. Are you saying that being mentally ill is worse than choosing to be an out and out racist (and espousing/evangelizing the harmful views that come with such a worldview?) Because to me it seems like it would be better to be psychotic (or have the excuse of being cray cray) than to be a completely normal person with serious intellectual and moral deficiencies.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Victor I wonder if you EVER examine how little sense some of the stuff you say contains.

People do bad things; there will always be groups of people who murder, some of them happen to be religious, and yes Buddhism, especially Zen Buddhism (more similar to Taoism and more popular in the West) is a religion of peace.

Sim was wrong about you. You have NO Ni, especially to be as old as you are, I think you're at least old enough to be my dad, and if you had tertiary Ni you'd have more perspective on this kind of thing.

I'm going INFP for you, with an excessively Si need to confuse the symbol with the object.
    You follow the normal pattern here, first to depersonalise me with mbti jargon to avoid dealing with me as a person, then you attack me rather than responding to what I say.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You follow the normal pattern here, first to depersonalise me with mbti jargon to avoid dealing with me as a person, then you attack me rather than responding to what I say.
    Oh I responded to what you said. I said you lack perspective if you think embracing Buddhist philosophy is an allegiance or support of violence of certain groups of people who happen to call themselves Buddhists.

Hope that clears it right up for you.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It's almost as if you're on an MBTI discussion forum....

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

@Valiant probably isn't mentally ill just because you don't agree with him; entire countries of people are racist nationalists, white nationalism is not comparable to a serial killer in San Francisco thinking a homeless man was a Biblical prophet who told him to murder.

I don't support his views at all, but describing him as psychotic is probably not at all true.
    You miss the point of the question and the analogy entirely.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post

In all seriousness, though, I don't think anybody is seriously trying to diagnose this person with a mental illness. That would be an insult to the mentally ill.

Well, nobody said he was psychotic specifically. In all fairness, though, I do think that a lot of the illucid things that he's written in this thread are signs of disordered thinking, which is usually a symptom of mental illness. But I wasn't even originally trying to go that far.

I'm not sure that I see where you're going with this, though. Are you saying that being mentally ill is worse than choosing to be an out and out racist (and espousing/evangelizing the harmful views that come with such a worldview?) Because to me it seems like it would be better to be psychotic (or have the excuse of being cray cray) than to be a completely normal person with serious intellectual and moral deficiencies.
    This is pretty much where I'm at too. I find the anger at me suggesting he has some psychological problem sort of comical, because I can't really see that accusation as being more offensive than calling someone a neo-nazi, which Valiant has essentially already take care of for himself. It is actually kinder to think this has something to do with a perhaps recent and hopefully resolvable mental problem.

Seriously, I already asked. If were somehow had proof that Valiant is not in least bit deranged, would your opinion of him improve? Would any of this seem less offensive, or more rational?

If you're going to find anything in this thread outrageous enough to gripe about, it shouldn't be something other than the guy spewing white supremacist tripe.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    You miss the point of the question and the analogy entirely.
    I don't think I do.

Psychiatrists are trained to tell the difference between a person with a specific deranged delusion, and someone who merely is very religious and believes in assorted mythology.

And you talking about serial killer delusions in conjunction with white supremacy is actually not a good analogy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post

I'm not speaking in terms of better or worse, I am merely pointing out that a person having a certain belief system is not the same as them being mentally ill. At all.

I think it's important for intelligent, educated people to be able to tell the difference between a mentally ill person and someone who just has what could objectively be called an alternative belief system, stemming from racial pride, which is a human trait as old as dirt, it's linked to tribalism.

It's like when I see people call religious behavior or belief in god mentally ill or a delusion.

Whether it's ethically "good" or "bad" is immaterial. In some cultures, racial pride is considered normal and a very high form morality.