Ginkgo

Not all taxidermy is good taxidermy, @Bamboo. Let this be a warning to you:

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    You don't understand what I'm talking about. I think faith is the basis of knowledge, not just a component.
    Even better. Making faith the basis of knowledge is very subjective because faith is very subjective.

No. Again, that's exactly what I've done with Valiant. I haven't engaged him at all and I have no intention of engaging him. Except that it doesn't matter to me whether or not Valiant is crazy. It seems to me some people need to believe he's crazy. That's just my gut feeling on the issue.
    For me it's something of a compulsion to respond to people being incredibly wrong. At least in this case I can count on plenty of other people criticizing him. It's worst when no one else is, then I feel I have to respond because saying bullshit go unanswered is just too uncomfortable.

That fact that what he's saying is so awful is actually more important than his mental wealth when it comes to whether or not I should respond to him. You're the one that became particularly fixated on the observation. I don't think anyone here who's calling him crazy is doing so because they need something to discredit his statements. It's the other way around. His statements and his reasoning have so little credit that it is suspected he is mentally ill. Why would anyone need to make that accusation anyhow? If someone said all these things, but then a psychiatrist told us that he was certifiably sane, would we all say "oh, well then I guess it's okay"?

Lastly, even if people did need him to be crazy, how that make him any less crazy?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    It could have been done better, that's for sure.
    I know...very sloppy work. They could have been doling out dead jews by the millions, instead they only got 60,000? Useless.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

YIt seems to me some people need to believe he's crazy. That's just my gut feeling on the issue.
    It's not possible to hold the kinds of beliefs that he does and NOT be crazy. The only other option is that he's a troll, but given his history and the tone of his posts in this thread, that option seems unlikely.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

@Valiant probably isn't mentally ill just because you don't agree with him; entire countries of people are racist nationalists, white nationalism is not comparable to a serial killer in San Francisco thinking a homeless man was a Biblical prophet who told him to murder.

I don't support his views at all, but describing him as psychotic is probably not at all true.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Also, halocaust denying is NOT a feature of psychosis, it's a feature of extreme white nationalism.

You guys all seem really uneducated to me right now, I'm sorry, but you can't call people insane because you don't agree with, know about, or understand something.

I am NOT defending him in any way, even on European preservation forums, people like him are viewed as racists and extremists, rather than having a simple interest in European history and culture.

However, this conversation is crap. @Beorn is right.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I still can't get past the idea that there is a magical country where white people do not do bad stuff. I mean I know a lot of white people.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Please do cease with the "crazy" invective, folks.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

In the past year I've begun to grasp more and more how the human mind and education works. When people are educated into a certain framework, say Western logic or even ethical racial tolerance, they find it very hard to believe that some people would rather embrace Eastern philosophy instead, or could be nationalists or believe in racial purity.

What's fascinating is that these people believe themselves to be more educated or open-minded than people with staunch religious beliefs or other civilizations from the past, completely unaware of their own conceptual biases.

faith is the basis of knowledge.
    Faith is believing something we know isn't true.

So Faith requires us to suspend our disbelief like the movies or art. So we can talk about the art of Faith. So Faith is as much the basis of knowledge as art.

Fortunately we do know the basis of knowledge and it is the scientific method.