Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default I Have An Amazing Memory

I remember actual physical details from my early childhood, things like looking at the wall, the clothes hamper, what our dogs were like, the clothes that I had, etc. I have a vivid sensory memory.

I remember things that very occasionally other people either don't remember, or are very unhappy that I do recall, and so try to deny it. And to me, what I'm remembering is so stupidly matter of fact that I can't believe they'd even deny it, unless they have a head injury or a drug/drink problem of epic proportions. You know, things that have happened in the last three to five years, really common sense stuff, nothing obscure.

My ESFJ friend once marvelled that I could repeat back things that just happened or were just said with stunning accuracy, she's like "it's almost like rain man."

My mother refers to me as "the walking dictionary/encyclopedia."

I've even noticed when I'm telling people something, I'll sometimes throw in other related facts.

Is this related to being Sensing dominant? It's not Si. Si is not memory, and I did think I must have Si for a very long time because of the sharpness of my sensory memory, but this would be improbable in an ENFP who rejects Si for the first part of life.

WALMART

Despite your wishes of an alternative explanation, strong socionics Si is my guess.

I'm new to the theory, though.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

perhaps cognitive abilities are simply proportionate to the development of various structures in the brain so you could have a good visual recall and that would not be "contradictory" to whatever parts of your personality you do not see that to be integrative with
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    It's not Si. Si is not memory, and I did think I must have Si for a very long time because of the sharpness of my sensory memory, but this would be improbable in an ENFP who rejects Si for the first part of life.
    Why do you think it not Si? I had thought Si was related to memory. I honestly have given up on functions as being really that useful, but that was my understanding of it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Despite your wishes of an alternative explanation, strong socionics Si is my guess.

I'm new to the theory, though.
    I don't have wishes of an alternative explanation. I type myself as ISFp in Socionics.

HOWEVER, I'm talking about Jungian Si.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Why do you think it not Si? I had thought Si was related to memory. I honestly have given up on functions as being really that useful, but that was my understanding of it.
    Si isn't memory. It's kind of a ...world view.

Such action has an illusory quality in relation to objective reality, and therefore has a very odd and strange character. It instantly reveals the anti-real subjectivity of the type, But, where the influence of the object does not entirely succeed, it encounters a benevolent neutrality, disclosing little sympathy, yet constantly striving to reassure and adjust. The too-low is raised a little, the too-high is made a little lower; the enthusiastic is damped, the [p. 503] extravagant restrained; and the unusual brought within the 'correct' formula: all this in order to keep the influence of the object within the necessary bounds. Thus, this type becomes an affliction to his circle, just in so far as his entire harmlessness is no longer above suspicion. But, if the latter should be the case, the individual readily becomes a victim to the aggressiveness and ambitions of others. Such men allow themselves to be abused, for which they usually take vengeance at the most unsuitable occasions with redoubled stubbornness and resistance.

Infinite Bubble

Although a clear attribution of memory to one function is unrealistic, the type of memory you mention is most likely Se, in my opinion. To my knowledge, Si builds up a worldview of how they think/feel about past sensory details, whereas in the OP you are mention imagery such as looking at the wall etc. Seriously though, not everything is related to typology... you simply just have a great memory. So do I, and Si is apparently my last function. If you used these memories to aim for consistency in the present, or trying to acquire similar situations from the past, then perhaps it is Si. It's what you do with it and your motivations.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, one thing to remember (ha) is that we will remember things that are important or vivid to us.

I have some occassional strong details that stick in my head, but not nearly as many details as internal subject states as well as ideas. I remember ideas, and I remember how I positioned myself to the ideas, and even sometimes some of the emotions attached to that experience.

I never really focus much on external sensory cues, except as pointers to my inner world and processes, unless the detail was vivid to me BECAUSE it was so strongly impacting the inner. I've tried to memorize extremely sensations and just have a hard time.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, one thing to remember (ha) is that we will remember things that are important or vivid to us.
    Well, SOB... What is wrong with me then!? How come I can remember my class schedules from 6th grade to 12th grade!? Like that's important... Although, I guess I remember those and not K-5 because of hallway interactions. In K-5 we never left the classroom except at lunch and for gym... But 6-12 we changed classrooms and I can remember who I walked to class with and stuff like that. I guess perhaps it's not so much that I remember the class schedule, so much as I remember the details of heading to certain classes, therefore it's easier to remember the schedule?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

We all have great memories, and everyone else are ignorant buffoons for not recalling things as we remember them. Memory is subjective to the individual.