MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Why IQ Matters: For Dummies

http://www.cracked.com/article_20297...ur-career.html

"But performing a task for work or school is very different than doing it in a lab -- there's a lot more pressure in a real world scenario, so they changed the conditions. They told both groups that they'd have another math test, but this time their high performance would earn them cash and their results were going to be examined by math professors. The results of that next test? The score of the HWM [high working memory] guys dipped so badly that they had become just as horrible as the scores of the LWM [low working memory], while the LWM crowd scored just about the same. The stress brought on by the extra incentives didn't affect the stupid guys at all, while the HWM were pissing in their boots."

I don't care that the cite comes from Cracked.com.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

They would probably get used to the added pressure with training and mental preparation, but the article seems to miss that.

I don't care that the cite comes from Cracked.com.
    Perhaps you should.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    They would probably get used to the added pressure with training and mental preparation, but the article seems to miss that.

Perhaps you should.
    The Cracked article is referring to a scholarly study. It just seems that the public school system encourages anxiety, and those who are prone to anxiety find refuge there. Thus their inability to come to terms with external reality.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I don't give a crap how smart I was born, just as long as I can maximize it.

It's kind of like how in video games you can raise minor skills to 100, and some major skills don't reach it.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Yeah, I think it is rare that people take into account that the brain is a network that can be flooded with "chatter" by introduction of excessive stressors in the environment especially in early childhood. It is amazing when resilience can be fostered in such an environment.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

your resident asshole

I thought this was going to be an argument for the validity of IQ. I know this didn't have much to do with it, but I don't really agree with IQ testing as a true means of intelligence. The idea of multiple intelligence makes much more sense imo.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I don't give a crap how smart I was born, just as long as I can maximize it.

It's kind of like how in video games you can raise minor skills to 100, and some major skills don't reach it.
    Video games are another refuge from life.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Yeah, I think it is rare that people take into account that the brain is a network that can be flooded with "chatter" by introduction of excessive stressors in the environment especially in early childhood. It is amazing when resilience can be fostered in such an environment.
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there, but your sig is probably in violation of the forum rules.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I read that article. I think the rationale behind smart people cracking up under pressure is that they because they are smart, they are able to generate reasons for why something may not work and may be prone to overanalyzing things.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Society

I wonder if higher EQ people would suffer less from this affect.