User Tag List

First 12

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Video games are another refuge from life.
    Thinking is a refuge from life as well. As long as human beings distort the information they receive with individual perception our existence is going to be a form of refuge from life.

Imagination is the purest form of this refuge and in it we find great joy and entertainment for our striving. Without it we would be husks; at one with the universe yet incapable of knowing it.

Video games are an expression of this imagination. Of course something being 'a refuge from life' is a purely semantic statement, assuming that ones notion of what life actually is, is superior to anyone else's.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Thinking is a refuge from life as well. As long as human beings distort the information they receive with individual perception our existence is going to be a form of refuge from life.

Imagination is the purest form of this refuge and in it we find great joy and entertainment for our striving. Without it we would be husks; at one with the universe yet incapable of knowing it.

Video games are an expression of this imagination. Of course something being 'a refuge from life' is a purely semantic statement, assuming that ones notion of what life actually is, is superior to anyone else's.
    Aren't functions a 'distortion' of perception? Doesn't Si color the perceptions it receives with something from itself?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I thought this was going to be an argument for the validity of IQ. I know this didn't have much to do with it, but I don't really agree with IQ testing as a true means of intelligence. The idea of multiple intelligence makes much more sense imo.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    I don't give a crap how smart I was born, just as long as I can maximize it.

It's kind of like how in video games you can raise minor skills to 100, and some major skills don't reach it.
    And this.

Video games are another refuge from life.
    And also this.

I think smart people think they have something to lose by making mistakes, while average and low people don't really. And smart people tie their sense of self to intelligence, so making mistakes affects both their ego and their confidence in their general abilities to perform in the real world, since it goes to the core of who they are. I read an article to this effect, and it's how I feel.

WALMART

This is why sports analysts state intuitors make poor athletes, they have trouble with high energy situations.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Aren't functions a 'distortion' of perception? Doesn't Si color the perceptions it receives with something from itself?
    Both introverted perception functions colour their perceptions with something from themselves. But I was talking in a general sense, concerning humans.
    It could easily be extrapolated that I would be applying my idea of perception through Si and tarring a species with it. However I would say that that there is plenty of heuristic evidence supporting my observation.

For example Se could be considered the most literal 'objective' version of perception, but Se dominants are not all the same person, they are still individuals. Indeed they may share similar traits and interests but in themselves they are each different people. They would still experience their sensory information in their own way.

Besides, concerning Si everyone will use Si in some form or another, as supposedly a person will have access to all 8, just to differeing levels.

ps: So what made you mention Si?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

So why is IQ still strongly correlated with school performance? (and work performance too, to a lesser extent)

In most job you are not constantly under strong pressure. Those where you are are a minority.

What I am trying to say is the following: the study does not prove what the article says it proves.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Both introverted perception functions colour their perceptions with something from themselves. But I was talking in a general sense, concerning humans.
    It could easily be extrapolated that I would be applying my idea of perception through Si and tarring a species with it. However I would say that that there is plenty of heuristic evidence supporting my observation.

For example Se could be considered the most literal 'objective' version of perception, but Se dominants are not all the same person, they are still individuals. Indeed they may share similar traits and interests but in themselves they are each different people. They would still experience their sensory information in their own way.

Besides, concerning Si everyone will use Si in some form or another, as supposedly a person will have access to all 8, just to differeing levels.

ps: So what made you mention Si?
    Si is the easiest example because its symbolic representations are concrete, based in tangible impressions: the flag of a nation, the crucifixion of Christ, a bolt of lightning. The flag is not (just) a rectangle made of colored cloth, it is symbolic of national pride.

Se, as you unintentionally pointed out, would be the worst example because it seems so superficial to us non-Se types. Cake is cake, it is meant to be enjoyed, not analyzed or symbolized.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”