User Tag List

123 Last

your resident asshole

Default Have you ever successfully rid yourself of a major fear/phobia?

And how did you go about doing so?

Banned

I've grown out of one or two. Like a snake who sheds it's skin when it becomes to tight.

I did once, I have a major fear of heights and I mastered it for a bit, it returned with a huge vengence lately though.

I dont know how I did, to be honest I believe it was adrenaline and traumatisation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

My phobia of bees is kind of cured kind of not so much... I really don't know how to answer about that one.

Oh... I did used to have a phobia of the dark, but now it's the direct opposite. I prefer the dark over the light. Hehe. It just kind of happened; I didn't really do anything.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Yes, heights. I had enough of the fear and so made opportunities to overcome the fear of heights as possibilities presented themselves. I went riding on roller coasters, went cave spelunking down and climbed back up 100-foot, 80-degree rock inclines with water trickling down on me, walked on rock sediment ledges deep inside of caves with little to support me. And stood with face next to the windows and looked down at the top of the Sears Tower.

I'm cured now.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Yes, heights. I ad enough of the dear and so went in roller coasters, went cave spelunking down and climbed back up 100-foot, 80-degree rock inclines with water trickling down on me, walked on rock sediment ledges deep inside of caves with little to support me. And stood with face next to the windows and looked down at the top of the Sears Tower.

I'm cured now.
    It's quite common advice to just face your fear. Glad you got over it.

I think if I were to face my fear like that, I'd have a heart attack. However, it's one that I really need to get over.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    It's quite common advice to just face your fear. Glad you got over it.

I think if I were to face my fear like that, I'd have a heart attack. However, it's one that I really need to get over.
    I agree with your idea. I feel facing a fear can be a real thrill. (going with the thinking that there can be a fine line, if one so chooses to see this way, between fear and excitement).
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Infinite Bubble

I have Selenophobia, or fear of the moon. It's such an odd thing to have a phobia of. I've no idea how it emerged, it was there since I was a quite young. Haven't gotten rid of it, but has died down over the years.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I was very scared of the dark from about the age of 7 well into adulthood. I wouldn't sleep with the lights off. One night I just decided to turn off the lights. I didn't get much rest that night but I never needed to keep the lights on to sleep again.

I still have a major fear of spiders, heights and feelings. I don't think I'll ever get over the first two and I'm working on the last one.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I'm afraid of not ever finding the sufficient freedom and achievement I must have to attain self-mastery. This fear is a driving force I draw upon to push myself beyond the normal limits to accomplish this great task. The great goal with this power is achieving infinite mastery of creation.

To say that in 2 words, become greatness. What I fear is failing to reach that level.