• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Have you ever successfully rid yourself of a major fear/phobia?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] - So it looks like you managed to grow out of the first fear through repeated exposure, but this isn't so for the second fear. I actually wonder what would happen if someone forced you to go skydiving.

...FOR SCIENCE!

:peepwall:

Yes, but you have to pay for it.

Lame.

--------------------------

I know it's a bit far into the thread, but the reason I posted it is because my fear prevents interferes with my sleep at times and I'm afraid I'll never be able to sleep when I move out on my own.

My fear is a bundle of fears that all intertwine with each other. I mostly become fearful during the nighttime.

I am afraid of...
the dark
being alone (mostly night, can be day)
people breaking in (night only)
ghosts (mostly night, can be day)

Bathrooms can also be especially scary with the lights off at night or if no one is home. I have to run up to them and stick my arm in to feel for the light switch before I turn it on. There is a lot of really weirdly specific things I do with my fears. :p

The fear of ghosts messes with my sleep if I try to sleep when everyone else is already asleep or if I try to go to sleep when no one is home. I think it's gotten a bit worse because I think I seem to have a touch of tinnitus now. You know that high frequency sound the TV makes when it's on? Yeah, I hear that even when the TV is off. However, it somehow makes it always feel like someone is right behind me when I am trying to sleep.

Also, before you say anything about how ghosts aren't real...it's complicated. I don't actively believe in them, but I am still afraid of them. I realize this doesn't make any sense.

G

Glycerine

Get a dog/cat? Or have a roommate, live in an apartment. I have all those fears (except for ghosts) to a certain extent but it helps a lot to have my dog sleep with me. Also I use a flashlight app on my phone when I have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Not to downplay your fears but I think your fears seem rather "normal" because there are some creeps out in the world and people want to protect themselves from the potential threats, right?

I was thinking that you had a fear of snakes, blood, dolls, or something similar.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Get a dog/cat? Or have a roommate, live in an apartment. I have all those fears (except for ghosts) to a certain extent but it helps a lot to have my dog sleep with me. Also I use a flashlight app on my phone when I have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.
Yeah, I will probably have to get a pet of some kind and force them to sleep in the bed with me. :p

Not to downplay your fears but I think your fears seem rather "normal" because there are some creeps out in the world and people want to protect themselves from the potential threats, right?

I was thinking that you had a fear of snakes, blood, dolls, or something similar.
Yes, and this is the somewhat rational part of my fears. However, I really should have put more emphasis on the ghosts part. Worrying about people breaking in is only a real issue if I am sleeping on the ground floor near a window....or when a car is randomly idling outside at 3am. (This happened the other day :/)

The ghosts thing gives me a LOT of problems and I tend to lose sleep over this at night. This is my main problem and is not a very rational one.