User Tag List

First 123 Last

Glycerine

Yes. Half the battle was trying to understand where it came from and then exposing yourself to the fear a little by little. A lot of fear comes from "psyching" yourself out and then the physiological reactions associated with it.

WALMART

Partially.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Oh, brother. Let's see.

Spiders.
    Storms.
    Heights.
    Darkness.
    Being alone.
    Public speaking.
    Wandering (fear of getting lost).
    Food poisoning.

Usually it starts with something leaving me no way out. That in turn is the catalyst for me to make a wilfull effort to get over it, which I achieve by graduating, intentionally exposure to my fear.

That being said some just went away and I don't even remember how or exactly when. For some reason I just stopped worrying about food being contaminated. Getting over storms, that one is vague too. I used to be afraid of leaving the house by myself (being alone, getting lost) and I didn't get over that without the help of a psycholgist when I was 14-15.

Still to go? Deep water. Rejection.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

your resident asshole

Hmm...does anyone know exactly how someone would go about getting rid of a fear that is encountered daily and has recently become worse.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Hmm...does anyone know exactly how someone would go about getting rid of a fear that is encountered daily and has recently become worse.
    Face it.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Face it.
    I come in contact (for lack of better words) with this fear every day. I am sort of facing it all of the time.

I come in contact (for lack of better words) with this fear every day. I am sort of facing it all of the time.
    Break it down/take it apart rationally. Is it life threatening? Is it founded? It's an introspective process.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Break it down/take it apart rationally. Is it life threatening? Is it founded? It's an introspective process.
    Unfortunately I've been there and done that. Do you have any advice that I haven't heard before? Or perhaps one that's actually helped you?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I had a fear of public speaking when I was younger.. I would sweat, shake, and mumble, and my heart rate felt like it was playing a drum solo on my throat.

Eventually, being forced to do it so much in school, it was just something I dreaded.. which made me annoyed and angry that I had to do it. Which motivated me to get up and get it over with by volunteering first (as I noticed that I could never remember who went first) and I realized that my fear was more freezing up and saying something stupid than it was of the people looking at me themselves. So, I got over it by practicing what I'd say before I said it. Not caring about the opinions of others made it a lot easier to get over that fear.

My fear of heights... I have a love/hate relationship with that. Few things get my adrenaline going more than heights do.. but the physical reactions I have to it are something I have been unable to control. Vertigo is something I get pretty badly if I am not in an airplane, and I've gotten dizzy and nearly fallen from a pretty extreme height during military training from the condition. Being up high is the most beautiful thing I can think of.. seeing everything from up there is amazing. If I could get over the urges to vomit, and the vertigo, and the weakness in my limbs, I think I'd be okay. I've rationalized it all day long, but without much success in application.
    I suppose it helps some to rationalize it.. I CAN do things from up high. I can climb a ladder again, I can repel, do some indoor rock climbing, fly, and complete necessary army training. But the less safety features there are the worse it gets. I am unable to get to the top of the rope climb even though I am perfectly capable of doing it theoretically, and I cannot touch skydiving with a ten foot pole.. Roller coasters still give me trouble. I had to turn down an opportunity for air assault school. It's a work in progress..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Unfortunately I've been there and done that. Do you have any advice that I haven't heard before? Or perhaps one that's actually helped you?
    Yes, but you have to pay for it.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard