User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: addiction

MBTI
    yupp

Default addiction

What is it? (to you, is it just mental or does it have to have physical symptoms aswell?)
    Do you have an addictive personality?
    What defines an addictive personality?
    Ever been addicted to anything?
    what?

I'm curious, mostly because I seem to be unable to be come addicted to anything. I've smoked cigarettes in highschool for a little over a year, got bored and quit. I did lortab everyday for months, and had no withdrawl symptoms whatsoever. Games that are suppose to be addictive I enjoy, but if I can't get past a level I get bored and go do something else and might come back in a few months. Pretty much if I need to quit something I can, but then I know people who have such a hard time giving up things.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTP

addiction:

After my first night drunk, I was enamored of the possibilities, so numerous, of alcohol. It was a night of revelation; the stars seemed to peer inquiringly at me from between the Park Avenue apartment buildings, wondering how I had it so good.

Then I tried pot. From 15 to 18 I smoked pot whenever I could. In between classes at a friend's place, or on a stoop.

Cigarettes I'd have only every so often.

But by this time, alcohol was a problem. Suspensions, expulsions, and imposed deferrals from several colleges (like UChicago)... they wanted me to take time off based on my boarding school expulsion to look at myself. Got kicked out of a liberal arts college for excessive drinking (and excessive actions and reactions)...

In the meanwhile I'd also tried several other drugs, including but not limited to cocaine, DXM (cough tablets... yes... cough tablets... they get you really high), percosetz (splg?), vicatin, codeine, nutmeg, smoked heroine once...

Okay... so 18, no place to go... was off of college for a year. So I quit cold turkey, worked hard, studied hard, exercised, picked up yoga, picked up some cool friends, repaired my desperate relationship with my parents... went back to school, went right back to the drugs.

3 years hard use... a year-long clean break... and then back.

Another year of school, another season of nutty behavior and too much reliance on drugs... my ideal night involved smoking some weed, downing some shots of vodka and a few cups of beer, and hitting whippits while playing SFII on the snes original and eating really awesome barbeque wings (hot sauce and honey mustard)...

did a fair amount of acid... I tried salvia several times... cocaine again then too...

Left school after freshman year... moved to Wall Street with an older woman.

DRANK DRANK DRANK... now THIS, my friends, is drinking. A virtually unlimited tab (thanks be to our kind stockbrokerly boss, a Korean who pulled in high six figures every year) in a bar surrounded by lots of money... (it was Ulysses, if you want to know... occasionally Delmonico's and a sports bar near the firm...) I also became highly addicted to DXM, which is a hallucinogen with strong, jarring effects on perception of the world and perception of self... made some money, lost more money... did a lot of coke... loved the stuff... you can't be on Wall Street and not do coke... (you can, but you're on Wall Street, for Chrissakes!)

Left after a long while... too long... arrests (and acquittals or ACD's) and all... back to school... 3 months clean... in school... doing well... BOOM... DXM and drinking... smoking pot... occasionally coke....

And the story continues...

The only other things I'm addicted to are books I don't understand (try Heidegger or Deleuze and Guattari), Prison Break (what's Scofield... an ISTP?), and... ummmmm.... no food.... some video games when I was younger like SMB3.... cigarettes (SMOKE BIG TIME)

INTERNET.... addicted to the internet...

__________________________________________________ ____________________

In short... I'm a simple ENTP who just can't quit...
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENTP

What's an addiction and, in turn, an addictive personality?

According to A.A. (I've been a few), an addiction is the chronic inability to say no to drugs and alcohol despite suffering repeated, severe consequences for prior use. They say it's largely physical, though the emotional component is important to dealing with the addiction and getting out of it... also, they believe: once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. There are no recovered addicts, though there are addicts in recovery.

Addiction is pretty much, IMO, what A.A. says it is. However, I differ in that I believe that alcoholism and drug use, generally, are just as much emotional as physical. I say this because, except in the most extreme cases (where it can certainly be overwhelmingly physical), we can beat them willpower, discipline, and positive thinking. I have... I've been clean for several months and it's no sweat.... well, maybe now it is... but it's cool.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENFP

What is it? (to you, is it just mental or does it have to have physical symptoms aswell?) It's both.
    Do you have an addictive personality? Yes.
    What defines an addictive personality? Feeling empty and trying to find something to make you feel better.
    Ever been addicted to anything? Yep.
    what? People. Celebrities, Boyfriends, Music, Sleep, Food, Crying, Internet, Cutting, Exercise, Television...

I guess those are pretty normal things?

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I'm addicted to MBTI. Help me purge my crutch!

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I would define addiction as having an intense, persistent need for something, arguably obssesive and compulsive in nature. It has to be a yearning strong enough that a person lacks the ability to resist it with conscious will. That to me is the most defining trait of addiction.

It is not actually a part of the definition for addiction to be maladaptive, but I think practically speaking, it almost always is. Self-control is invaluable.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Default Addicted

Addiction is simply two self reinforcing trances.

As you leave one trance you enter the second. And as you leave the second, you enter the first. So there is no way out. That is why it is called an addiction.

Single trances are normal. We enter and leave single trances all during the day. So we know instinctively, if not consciously, how to enter and leave a single trance.

So when we inadvertently enter a double trance, we naturally expect to be able to leave in the normal way. But when we can leave, we don't want to. And when we want to leave, we can't. We are addicted.

Default An Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Self-control is invaluable.
    Self-control makes it possible to leave a single trance, and self-control makes it impossible to leave a double trance.

So, counter-intuitively, if one wishes to leave a double trance, an addiction, one must give up, abandon, self-control. One must reach 'rock bottom'. One must abandon self-control and throw oneself on a higher power.

For the addicted, self-control is an illusion.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Self-control makes it possible to leave a single trance, and self-control makes it impossible to leave a double trance.

So, counter-intuitively, if one wishes to leave a double trance, an addiction, one must give up, abandon, self-control. One must reach 'rock bottom'. One must abandon self-control and throw oneself on a higher power.

For the addicted, self-control is an illusion.
    My point was that because self-control is invaluable, addictions generally are a negative thing because they over-power a person's self-control.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    My point was that because self-control is invaluable, addictions generally are a negative thing because they over-power a person's self-control.
    I understand your point however it is self-control that drives an addiction.

In fact an addiction doesn't overpower self-control, an addiction reinforces self-control.

This is why an addiction is so negative - because it turns something, self-control, which is good into something which is evil. An addiction is the very devil.

It is only when self-control is abandoned, that it is possible to leave an addiction.