User Tag List

First 234

Thread: addiction

Oh is it my turn? Ok, hello my name is Cameron and I am a recovering alcoholic/drug addict.

What is it?
    Addiction is like trying to fill the grand canyon full of sand. Another saying is one I picked up in AA. "One drink is too many, one hundred is not enough." This is so true for me. When I used to drink, I had to drink till I was completely fucked. I can't drink casually. Just one sip of it starts this thirst that can never be alleviated.

I also think that addiction to substances might have something to do with trying to fill a spiritual void with carnal indulgences. I am not sure if this can be done. It sure as hell didn't work for me. There was a point in my life where all I cared about was getting drunk. That is what every action throughout the day led up to. It was sad

Do you have an addictive personality?
    Yes and how.

What defines an addictive personality?
    Someone that has a compulsion to consume or partake in something habitually to the point that it disrupts their life.

Ever been addicted to anything?
    Yes

What?
    Alcohol, I haven't had a sip since June 26, 2006 and I hope never to go down that road again. A drunken depressed INFP is bad news and empty fish tanks beware.

I am still hooked on pot, tobacco, caffeine, and refined sugar. Baby steps baby steps. But these are nowhere near as bad as my problem with alcohol. I think they just make more lazy, stupid, jittery, and paranoid. But I am ok with that for now.

I also think that genetics has something,( but definitely not all) to do with it. There are a lot of drunks in the ole family tree.
    Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head..." - Ween

Addiction is a trap we set for ourselves.

We are born without control and with the help of our parents, friends and institutions, we learn control by the age of about 22.

At about 22 our brains are fully grown and we are ripe.

And if we are not picked at 22, we start to go off - control starts to turn rancid.

So it is most important we start to learn to give up control for set periods at will.

However after struggling to gain control for 22 years, it seems like madness to give it up - it is counter-intuitive - like the madness of falling in love.

And for those who are undamaged it starts to happen naturally - we start to give up control when we fall in love - but falling in love does appear to the neophite to be madness - but it is a learning experience - we fall in love, then we fall out of love - each time learning how to give up control and then how to regain control - we are starting to mature beyond control.

But for those who are damaged, falling in and out of love is too threatening to the damaged heart.

So the damaged try to control falling in love - they discover that alcohol or narcotics enables them to have sex without falling in love.

This is a great discovery. It enables them to do the impossible - to give up control without giving up control - it enables them to draw a square circle.

But control turned against itself - control controlling control - leads to a vicious cycle.

The more you exert control to get out of the vicious cycle, the more deeply embedded you become - until there is no way out and you are addicted.

And your addiction to control harms not only yourself but your family and friends.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Abhaya View Post
    Alcohol, I haven't had a sip since June 26, 2006 and I hope never to go down that road again.
    Never? OK. Well anyway, that's today - June 26 - so Happy Birthday, Dave!

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

What is it? (to you, is it just mental or does it have to have physical symptoms aswell?)
    Compulsion to some immediately pleasurable activity.

Do you have an addictive personality?
    I think very much so. I guess my life has consisted of varying addictions, like sports, alcohol, work, etc. None has lasted, all have passed. But the constancy of being in addiction is almost unstoppable.

What defines an addictive personality?
    Unknown.

Ever been addicted to anything?
    what?
    Cycling, swimming, running, weight lifting, dieting, alcohol, candy, dating, salty snacks, eating, mathematics, computer games, card games, meeting new friends, planning, organization, collecting, information seeking, learning, and probably few others.

At the moment internet addiction is ruining my life. Today I neglected my need to eat in favor of surfing some more sites, including MBTIc. As a matter of fact, I'll restrict my MBTIc time to saturdays only, for the remainder of the month, as well as the next month.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Addiction is a trap we set for ourselves.

We are born without control and with the help of our parents, friends and institutions, we learn control by the age of about 22.

At about 22 our brains are fully grown and we are ripe.

And if we are not picked at 22, we start to go off - control starts to turn rancid.

So it is most important we start to learn to give up control for set periods at will.

However after struggling to gain control for 22 years, it seems like madness to give it up - it is counter-intuitive - like the madness of falling in love.

And for those who are undamaged it starts to happen naturally - we start to give up control when we fall in love - but falling in love does appear to the neophite to be madness - but it is a learning experience - we fall in love, then we fall out of love - each time learning how to give up control and then how to regain control - we are starting to mature beyond control.

But for those who are damaged, falling in and out of love is too threatening to the damaged heart.

So the damaged try to control falling in love - they discover that alcohol or narcotics enables them to have sex without falling in love.

This is a great discovery. It enables them to do the impossible - to give up control without giving up control - it enables them to draw a square circle.

But control turned against itself - control controlling control - leads to a vicious cycle.

The more you exert control to get out of the vicious cycle, the more deeply embedded you become - until there is no way out and you are addicted.

And your addiction to control harms not only yourself but your family and friends.
    according to this I'm 5 months from my brain being fully matured, though I doubt I actually am.

maybe that's my problem I don't care enough about controlling to control something.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Default Dear Anomie

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    according to this I'm 5 months from my brain being fully matured, though I doubt I actually am.

maybe that's my problem I don't care enough about controlling to control something.
    'Not caring', is an interesting stance. Usually called, "anomie".

Perhaps we could change your name to, "Anomie".

You could tell people you are an individual adrift in a rich industrial society. And you could say, just casually, "I don't care".

And for people to believe you, you will need to dress the part. Your clothes must say, "I don't care about my appearance". And, hey, wash about once a week and never do your hair.

In fact you will be saying to the people around you that you have given up the attempt to control yourself.

This will freak them out. For if you have given up control, perhaps it is contagious. And lo and behold they will start trying to control you.

And then, hey baby - my dear Anomie - you are now in the driver's seat.

You can play their control off against your anomie - for you are not called, "Anomie", for nothing.

It's a bit like sailing - their control is the wind and your anomie is the sail - and there you sit with your hand on the tiller.

Will you take me sailing with you, dear Anomie?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

What is it? Chocolate, coffee sometimes (I quit drinking coffee for long periods of time for no reason)

Do you have an addictive personality? I don't know.

Ever been addicted to anything? what? Smoking but I quit it a long time ago.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Copyediting Wikipedia entries when all I'd intended to do was read. So...poorly...written...sometimes.