First 1234 Last

Thread: addiction

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I understand your point however it is self-control that drives an addiction.
    But for many drug addicts, is it not escapism and depersonalization that is the goal? To drown the self and surroundings in a single feeling?
    To me, it seems like losing the will to attempt self-control leads to addiction much of the time.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    But for many drug addicts, is it not escapism and depersonalization that is the goal? To drown the self and surroundings in a single feeling?
    To me, it seems like losing the will to attempt self-control leads to addiction much of the time.
    Yes, you are right. Before addiction takes place, self-control is good and vital.

I presume you are not addicted so for you self-control is a vital part of your happiness.

And, of course, I am right too because once addiction takes place, the role of self-control is reversed.

This is why addiction is genuinely evil.

Default The Front Door

I would like to say that addiction doesn't overcome self-control.

Addiction uses self-control to maintain itself.

So addiction is counter-intuitive.

And the rule is, know your enemy. So if you wish to know addiction, it is necessary to think counter-intuitively.

Intuitive thinking will lead you up to the front door, but won't take you inside.

The reason addiction is so interesting is because it reverses our moral values.

So self-control is good for the normal, self-control is bad for the addicted.

So your parents will first teach you control then self-control. And so by the age of 22 when you have reached the height of control, you will even tell yourself to be self-controlled.

And so how natural to think we can avoid addiction by self-control.

So we even think that the addicted lack self-control when the opposite is the case.

The addicted are constantly practising self-control but all it does is lead them back into their addiction.

As the addicted terminate one trance through self-control, it triggers the second trance. And so the addict controls the second trance but it only leads back into the first trance. There is no way out.

MBTI
    INFJ

I think addiction can come in multiple forms, though - and I can see what Victor's saying: You trade your self-control, and the addiction becomes your form of "self-control." Except it's a delusion: You aren't really in control - your addiction is. You do whatever the addiction says. If it says "I need a drink" or "I need X-drug" you do it. And that drug could be anything from people to food to coffee to crack cocaine or anything else. I think humans in general have an addictive personality. We all have to have something to keep us going in this life, even if (with some) it's the comfort of things staying the same.

But to bring things down to a more practical, manageable level (meaning, "known" A&E Intervention-type addictions), no, I don't have any. Many in my family have drug and alcohol problems however, and I tend to have my own issues stemming from that, but I'm not addicted to substances except for maybe the Internet, and some comfort foods.
    Your personality type is INFJ.

Introverted (I) 93% Extraverted (E) 7%
    Intuitive (N) 77% Sensing (S) 23%
    Feeling (F) 60% Thinking (T) 40%
    Judging (J) 68% Perceiving (P) 32%

http://www.kisa.ca/personality/

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

To help shine some light, i'll cast a contrast

I have an obsessive personality
    damn 4w5's

however,
    i am easily bored
    or at least little catches my interest
    and i too end up changing my focus

so prpl-pollo
    what do you think separates you from those people who are addictive ?
    aside from what you said
    I N V I C T U S

Quote Originally Posted by comicsgurl View Post
    You trade your self-control, and the addiction becomes your form of "self-control." Except it's a delusion: You aren't really in control - your addiction is. You do whatever the addiction says. If it says "I need a drink" or "I need X-drug" you do it.
    Addiction is two dimensional.

So in one dimension you can exercise control and enter or leave a particular trance.

But in two dimensions you can exercise control and leave one dimension only to find yourself in the second dimension. And when you exercise control and leave the second dimension, you find yourself back in the first dimension.

So self control will take you out of one dimension but self control will keep you in two dimensions.

You might find this interesting to read, there is a little about addiction in it. Just click on -

Cults, Addictive Trance and Occult Phenomena | The Trance Institute

MBTI
    INFJ

Mm...I only agree with that a little bit, Victor. I think a controlled trance or trance state can only occur under the correct circumstances, but most people aren't in the correct circumstance. And honestly, can we really say *we* control a trance state? The whole point of a trance state is to "let go." How can you control something if you let go of it at the same time...?

Addiction is a lack of control over our circumstances - we don't/can't have the control. If we had power or control, it wouldn't be an addiction, and we wouldn't be subject to it. We'd be free of it.
    Your personality type is INFJ.

Introverted (I) 93% Extraverted (E) 7%
    Intuitive (N) 77% Sensing (S) 23%
    Feeling (F) 60% Thinking (T) 40%
    Judging (J) 68% Perceiving (P) 32%

http://www.kisa.ca/personality/

Mm...I only agree with that a little bit, Victor. I think a controlled trance or trance state can only occur under the correct circumstances, but most people aren't in the correct circumstance. And honestly, can we really say *we* control a trance state? The whole point of a trance state is to "let go." How can you control something if you let go of it at the same time...?
    It's nice to know you agree with me a little bit.

And you ask a very good question.

And you are quite right - most don't learn how to enter and leave a trance at will.

I was lucky - I attended a class by a Sport's Psychologist who taught us how to safely enter and leave a trance at will.

Without this class, I doubt I would have learnt to enter and leave a trance at will.

Addiction is a lack of control over our circumstances - we don't/can't have the control. If we had power or control, it wouldn't be an addiction, and we wouldn't be subject to it. We'd be free of it.
    I think this is difficult to understand.

I don't know how to explain it to you.

I think because you are not addicted you experience control in a particular way. So quite naturally you think the addicted have the same experience of control.

But whereas control for you is wholesome, control for an addict is poison.

The proof of this is that when an addict gives up control, say when they reach rock bottom or hand over to a higher power, do they start to leave their addiction.

Your experience is exactly the opposite - control or self-control keeps you safe from addiction.