• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do feelings & well-being work for you?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm inclined to believe that people can use their feeling to effectively answer questions about well-being - what affects it, how to achieve it, etc.

As a person who usually is either on/off with well-being (hard work, hard rest) I'd like to hear some opinions/experiences (not advice) from feelers who take a smoother approach to the subject.
*What kind of questions do you ask yourself to determine if some circumstance/schedule/workload etc is acceptable for your continuing well-being?
*How do you determine if some circumstance/situation etc is too unmotivational for you?
*Do you actively observe your own bodily signs, your brain operation etc.. what do you do?
*Or, are you just sensitive to moods and selective about what kinds of tasks you take on?
*Do you follow your mood to the point where you can't perform mosts tasks because you don't feel like it? I mean, cherry-picking activities that are best for your well-being?
*How often do you just push through some demanding task and put your feelings aside? What kinds of roles and names do you have for these activities?
*Do you arrange some inspiration activities for yourself, meditation, contemplation etc with explicit purpose to improve your mood, or make your mood/feelings more suitable for some task/situation?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'll answer my own questions for starters.

*What kind of questions do you ask yourself to determine if some circumstance/schedule/workload etc is acceptable for your continuing well-being?
Have I had enough work this week? I know that 40 hrs is plently and 50 hrs is way too much. Measuring the hours gives me a good estimate. If I'm almost tired, I'll ask.. do I want this? Do I need this? Can I do this?
*How do you determine if some circumstance/situation etc is too unmotivational for you?
I go by expert data. Say, it's a software project .. that .. is .. centered on doing nothing, yes, thats unmotivational. So.
If it's not a software project, then, if it seems lazy & not doing any good thing.. thats unmotivational. In general, I go with what's inspirational professionally or personally.
*Do you actively observe your own bodily signs, your brain operation etc.. what do you do?
Well. I do follow my own brain activity. I try to follow if something I do is sensible. If I feel tense in the neck, sensitive, agitated.. I take it as a feeling not everything is going well. Sometimes when I wake up, I ask myself the question.. what's my name, and what's the president's name? Other than that, I ask.. does this make sense, is this something I want to have happening. Those questions alert me to the sensibility of the situation. Funny that I ask those questions when I wake up in a panic.
*Or, are you just sensitive to moods and selective about what kinds of tasks you take on?
I think I'm kind of a hard man, ready to take tasks not many people are ready for. But.. I don't want too many of them. I'm lazy. Example: I'd rather dig shit 1 hour and get away with it for the rest of the week, rather than deliver mail for the whole week. And.. I often seek that kind of arrangements. Take this figuratively.
*Do you follow your mood to the point where you can't perform mosts tasks because you don't feel like it? I mean, cherry-picking activities that are best for your well-being?
When I'm exhausted, I won't do any tasks. Usually, I don't pick my duties by how fluffy and wonderful they seem. So.. I usually get tired of tasks & situations that are very hard, then I start slacking and slack all the way till I've slacked enough. But.. When I've had enough rest, I can do the most difficult tasks that are around. Usually I pick my tasks by their reward/feasibility & cost/benefit ratio, I.e. I don't usually cherry-pick them by their apparent "desirability".
*How often do you just push through some demanding task and put your feelings aside? What kinds of roles and names do you have for these activities?
I don't push my feelings aside.

Well, just some crappy feelings like "I'm no good, I can't do it, etc" but .. I don't generally push any feelings aside to do any thing. There's one feeling I do reguralry push aside though. It's .. I'm tired. I say against it, I'm not tired.
*Do you arrange some inspiration activities for yourself, meditation, contemplation etc with explicit purpose to improve your mood, or make your mood/feelings more suitable for some task/situation?
Sometimes I fill mind maps, I read some inspirational material etc. Sometimes I listen music with the explicit purpose to inspire me. I dont think that most of the attempts do any of those things.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ooh! Excellent thread. I also have a hard time staying aware of my well-being, sometimes, so I'm eager to hear Feeler responses (especially from Fi-users).

*subscribed*

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm inclined to believe that people can use their feeling to effectively answer questions about well-being - what affects it, how to achieve it, etc.
This has been my theory as well.
As a person who usually is either on/off with well-being (hard work, hard rest) I'd like to hear some opinions/experiences (not advice) from feelers who take a smoother approach to the subject.
Well, I feel like answering it too, even though my approach to the subject may not be as smooth, because I'd like to better figure out how I operate (and it may shed some light on how INTP's deal with the subject in as much as I am at all representative- take that for what it's worth).

If I like it and I feel good, then it is acceptable for my well being. If I objectively determine that something is healthy or unhealthy I will pursue it or not.
I assess my mood and stress level, combined with my level of functionality. Then I compare it to the outcome of the activity and determine whether the outcome is important to me and how important.
Yes, both. I think my physical signs are indicative of both emotions and well being, so I pay a lot of attention to them.
A little bit, but I choose tasks according to the desired outcome. If I don't have another task which takes priority, I can afford to choose something just because it makes me feel good.
*Do you follow your mood to the point where you can't perform most tasks because you don't feel like it? I mean, cherry-picking activities that are best for your well-being?
Not really. I don't follow bad moods if I can help it, except to process them and turn them into good moods. So if I'm at the point where I can't perform tasks I need to deal with the mood first and process it. I do try to prioritize my activities so that my well being is of the highest importance. Emotional well being comes second to physical well being, but they are related; and they should be balanced with achieving my goals.
Often. I try to balance the two, find a way to do things so that my mood stays good or gets better. Like I spent about 8 hours writing an outline for an essay today, even though the essay isn't due until the day after tomorrow. But the teacher asked me to submit my idea in paragraph form by the end of today so he could see whether it was a good essay topic (and I sent him the whole thing to review). The goal is to write a stellar essay, so I have to suffer a little while in order to get it done. It was very difficult. But I ate chocolate and took periodic breaks to elevate my mood and preserve my well being.
Often. Contemplation much more often than meditation because I don't like trying to shut off my brain. Lots of music, daydreaming, taking care of my health, etc. I try to exercise and get enough sleep, and if I feel stress find the cause and alleviate it. (Stress is not healthy.)

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Feelings can guide us to what is important to our own true selves - and with faith, we can make those visions real; not as a physical thing, but rather as a world event - all through the force of love. :heart:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well, I feel like answering it too, even though my approach to the subject may not be as smooth, because I'd like to better figure out how I operate (and it may shed some light on how INTP's deal with the subject in as much as I am at all representative- take that for what it's worth).
Good that you did :)

An idea crossed my mind.. perhaps I have habits to disregard my feelings in a situation so much I don't even notice it. But.. most of the part, I act according to my feelings.

And that part.. that I check what my name is.. I use that only when I wake up from a panic dream and I'm not sure of my sanity. I know what the result of the question should be, or rather, I know I'd know if I were unable to produce the answer. But.. I have subtler self diagnostics for less dramatic situations :D

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good that you did :)

An idea crossed my mind.. perhaps I have habits to disregard my feelings in a situation so much I don't even notice it. But.. most of the part, I act according to my feelings.

And that part.. that I check what my name is.. I use that only when I wake up from a panic dream and I'm not sure of my sanity. I know what the result of the question should be, or rather, I know I'd know if I were unable to produce the answer. But.. I have subtler self diagnostics for less dramatic situations :D
In Naomi L. Quenk's book Was That Really Me? she talks about the inferior function, and she says extraverted thinking types tend to ignore their well-being (Fi having a lot to do with well-being). They also have a fear of feeling. You should check out the book or look up inferior Fi, if you haven't already.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I tend to push myself past my comfort zone without being realistic about how long I can stand it. Or I used to, anyway. Now I'm better about that, and ask myself the typical pro/con questions. Though I can't say if I've ever made a decision based on the pro/con score. Making the list just helps me clarify my feelings.
Instinct, but honestly, I sometimes find "unmotivational" circumstances motivating. The standards are lower, there's less pressure to succeed. This is a really flawed attitude, I know. There are still definitely times when I'm inspired by a positive workplace atmosphere, of course.
Yes. I'm constantly in the process of some sort of metacognition, beyond thinking about thinking about thinking. When I go through this kind of introspection I focus much more on sensory cues within my mind (if that makes sense) than words/symbols/concepts. I process emotions almost like flavors - it's like I can feel them washing over my brain physically, because at that level it's easiest to pick up on nuances. I'm not as aware of bodily signs, but in very unhealthy states I'm prone to hypochondria.
As I said in the first question, much more so now than when I was younger.
Yes to the first question, but no, I don't see it as cherry-picking activities that are best for my well-being. I nearly always pick activities that aren't best for my well-being but most appealing to my emotions (or you could just substitute that with laziness) at the time.
Definitely not as often as I should. I think of these things as productive, rewarding (just not immediately)
Kind of. When I study for science classes, I rewrite material into funny stories, make my own study guides, draw diagrams, etc. because they make the task more enjoyable for me. But when it comes most things, I just dive into it (after a period of procrastination of course), hoping I'll eventually be too caught up in the task to get distracted.