User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I am not sure at all, since I don't know this person. I am simply cautioning against an assumption, hence the highlighted.
    Would you have added the comment about your leg?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Would you have added the comment about your leg?
    Only if the other person already knew about it, or if a problem were apparent, e.g. I was limping, or had a visible cast/bandage. In that case, I might make a brief comment to forestall further inquiry.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ

Probably "okay" means different things to people. I just answered "okay" to the question "how are you?" in an email (from someone I haven't talked to in many years.) I actually thought about my answer... I'm not great, but I'm not bad...and I'm much better than I was when I "knew" this person, so "okay" seemed like a good answer. To me it's a genuine answer. Actually, I answer with "okay" often when asked how I'm doing. It's a good answer because it can be left at that...OR for the asker person who has time/interest, they can follow up with "why just okay?" or whatever that COULD lead to a conversation. That I might or might not be interested in having.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I agree that it depends on the person. I'm not sure what the majority response would be to the OP question.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    that's generally my response if I'm NOT doing ok... otherwise, I'll respond with "excellent!"

I'm doing ok means that I feel like shit and don't want to talk about it
    ^ Same for me.

In my personal social situation lingo (edited):

"I'm great/excellent" = "I'm great/excellent"
    "I'm good" = from "I'm good" to "I'm okay" to "Meh"/"I'm neutral, whatever" to "I'm not okay"
    "I'm okay" = "I'm really, really not okay. At all."
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Only if the other person already knew about it, or if a problem were apparent, e.g. I was limping, or had a visible cast/bandage. In that case, I might make a brief comment to forestall further inquiry.
    I actually did not ask how she was doing. I said "I hope everything is going well with you".
    She has often said "I hope all is well" to me.

When I say that I am doing "okay" or "just fine", it usually isn't interesting to me enough to say it was good or great. I do say I had fun, or it was good/great/exciting/etc if I think those words describe the day correctly. But if I think the day wasn't that interesting, I would just say that it was okay.

When I say I am doing fine, it is usually just means "same-o same-o."

Not to much to hide from if I were to say such a thing, other than flat-lining the answer.

That might be a bad habit though if people think that saying "okay" "just fine" is more than just that.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    That might be a bad habit though if people think that saying "okay" "just fine" is more than just that.
    I automatically think nothing of it, but now after the fact I'm wondering if there was more to it, based on the full interaction.
    And the replies in this thread are varied, so I wouldn't say that it's a "bad habit" to think that, in general.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    When someone says "I'm doing okay" after being asked how they are doing, doesn't this mean that they are doing average or mediocre? Not good but not bad either, just okay. Like if you were doing good, you would say so, right? "I'm doing good"
    It all depends on what follows. If there's a pause, then "I'm doing okay" could mean "I'm not so great." But if it follows with an immediate "how're you?" as in "I'm doing ok, how about yourself?" It means nothing.

Glycerine

I tend to read it as meaning 1) I'm really ok 2) deep in thought (can be neutral, positive or negative) 3) none of your business, or 4) trying my hardest not to fall apart/stay calm.
    It really depends on the person, body language and tone.

Relaxed and neutral = 1. Zoned out and noncommital = 2. Tense and rigid or tense and neutral = 3 or 4. I typically don't inquire further unless there is at least some rapport.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Context and inflection matters, I guess...

As for me, it's sort of a Schrödinger's Reply. It could mean more than one thing, because I sort of like being discreet. Or maybe I'm just naturally that way. I usually use something slightly more neutral and less despondent, like "I'm [feeling] pretty good". Having a dad who is a bit paranoid about your mood teaches you these things.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).