First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    A healthy dose of skepticism is reasonable. Unfortunately, as the author points out, the stigma attached to studying psi in the scientific community prevents many curious researchers from risking their reputation, credibility and funding to explore this phenomena, for fear of their work being labeled as pseudo-science. Such widespread closemindedness inhibits possible breakthrough discoveries that could revolutionize our understanding of the human psyche.
    The people who most need to read it won't. Or if they do, they'll spend all their energy trying to disprove it. But it's always heartening to see a good effort.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    The people who most need to read it won't. Or if they do, they'll spend all their energy trying to disprove it. But it's always heartening to see a good effort.
    It's true. Even if there was hard evidence that could be replicated consistently in a controlled environment, certain skeptics would not abandon their preconceived notions. I find that the most close-minded people tend to be atheists and extremely religious folk, ironically, because both have come to definitive conclusions about matters they can't be certain of.

Spooky

From the invention of the telegraph, (tele-graph: writing at a distance); and from the invention of the telephone (tele-phone: speaking at a distance; and the invention of the television (tele-vision: seeing at a distance), we have been fascinated by spooky actions at a distance.

And we are fascinated by the spookiest action at a distance of all, that is, entanglement in Quantum Mechanics.

And having no scientific education we look around to explain these spooky actions at a distance. And lo and behold, we find spooks.

Not knowing the scientific explanation we put it down to the ineffable and magical psi.
    Last edited by Mole; 01-27-2013 at 11:15 PM.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I've seen this book around before when pursuing shelves or Amazon. I have a major exponentially growing bottleneck of books that are in my field of vision and will take 3 lifetimes to read but maybe this one can skip the line.

I'm all for anybody trying to describe these unseeable phenomenons that people experience. To me, any skepticism because of lack of scientific evidence is a big obstacle/drag on thinking about this stuff. Little to no scientific basis- it does not matter at all to me. We need to start viewing these things from the outside in, I think starting from small and evidence based standpoint is often inappropriate and irrelevant. The bottom line- people have these experiences-they are very real for a wide variety of people- and they are likely essential in describing major aspects of either the workings of the brain or the workings of the universe (or both) and it's important to investigate by any means- scientific, anecdotal whatever and I will end this run on sentence here.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I've seen this book around before when pursuing shelves or Amazon. I have a major exponentially growing bottleneck of books that are in my field of vision and will take 3 lifetimes to read but maybe this one can skip the line.

I'm all for anybody trying to describe these unseeable phenomenons that people experience. To me, any skepticism because of lack of scientific evidence is a big obstacle/drag on thinking about this stuff. Little to no scientific basis- it does not matter at all to me. We need to start viewing these things from the outside in, I think starting from small and evidence based standpoint is often inappropriate and irrelevant. The bottom line- people have these experiences-they are very real for a wide variety of people- and they are likely essential in describing major aspects of either the workings of the brain or the workings of the universe (or both) and it's important to investigate by any means- scientific, anecdotal whatever and I will end this run on sentence here.
    "The Varieties of Religious Experience - a Study in Human Nature", by William James led to the founding of Alcoholics Anonymous.

William James found that religious experience in extreme distress had a beneficial effect, and so it was tried on the extreme distress of alcoholism with good effects. Today it is called, the Twelve Step Program of spiritual principles, famously used by Alcoholics Anonymous.

To meet William James click on - http://www2.hn.psu.edu/faculty/jmani...es-rel-exp.pdf

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post

Yes, you should pick this one up. The author discusses many scientific studies of psi/ESP and the results of those experiments vs the odds against chance. Some of the results highly support the case for legitimate psychic phenomena.

There was a documentary about the human brain on the history channel the other day. In addition to autistic savant syndrome, photographic memory and other extraordinary abilities, and disorders, they discussed psychic powers. A researcher was studying a notable psychic with a reputation for remarkable accuracy by introducing him to a complete stranger and analyzing his brain activity while he revealed facts about the person's life that he had no way of knowing otherwise. It was quite fascinating.

Epiphany

Show me the money!

In 1982 the St. Louis Business Journal tested how a psychic would fare against professional stockbrokers over a six-month period, and reported that the psychic, who had no formal training in stock market trading or analysis, outperformed eighteen of nineteen professional stockbrokers. During the testing period, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 8 percent, but the psychic's stocks went up 17 percent.

The use of psi to enhance decision making is not overlooked in the intensely pragmatic world of Wall Street. In 1985 a vice president of Shearson Lehman Brothers provided a good summary of how results-oriented business views psi. In a full-page article in the New York Times business section, Chester Rothman observed that "If a psychic can better grasp the rationalities of the world than a market analyst, he might well give better business advice. Successful entrepreneurs and investment analysts have confided to me that psi techniques, especially precognition, are beginning to play an increasingly important role on Wall Street. The driving force is that everyone now uses sophisticated computer models to help forecast which stocks to pick, so to maintain a slight edge in the accelerating world of stock trading, analysts and brokers need methods that outforecast the computers. Some brokers are successfully using psi to help nudge the computers' mathematical models, and the tiny forecasting advantages they gain are reportedly resulting in enormous profits. No wonder they've kept quiet about their interests!

Epiphany

Here is an informative presentation from the author, Dean Radin. One interesting point that he discusses regarding scientific and medical research is that small effects are still real. Telepathy experiments have an effect size five times greater than studies which indicate that aspirin can prevent heart attacks, yet the FDA considers that number significant enough to market aspirin as a preventative measure, while telepathy is regarded as non-existent.

Do telepathy, clairvoyance and other "psi" abilities exist? The majority of the general population believes that they do, and yet fewer than one percent of mainstream academic institutions have any faculty known for their interest in these frequently reported experiences. Why is a topic of enduring and widespread interest met with such resounding silence in academia? The answer is not due to a lack of scientific evidence, or even to a lack of scientific interest, but rather involves a taboo. I will discuss the nature of this taboo, some of the empirical evidence and critical responses, and speculate on the implications.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I guess I believe in telepathy but not precognition. I found the scans showing senders' and receivers' brains radiating effects at the same time compelling. And what I feel to be true as well.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I guess I believe in telepathy but not precognition. I found the scans showing senders' and receivers' brains radiating effects at the same time compelling. And what I feel to be true as well.
    I've read enough compelling information to consider the possibility that both exist. As the speaker mentioned, even skeptical researchers who worked on some of these studies admit that something unexplained is happening, though they refuse to consider the possibility of psi due to their own biases, which is frightfully non-objective since they are supposed to approach experiments without prejudice in an attempt to discover scientific truth; not to merely reinforce their pre-existing concepts.