User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

You seem unable to acknowledge that someone can be well aware of how to accomplish something unethical, but still recognize it as wrong, and have enough self-discipline (or perhaps self-respect) to refrain from doing it. I have always been far more tempted by lack of knowledge than knowledge, however. Once I know and understand, that is satifaction enough. Moreover, as in your example, having the knowledge might enable me to recognize when someone else is doing it, so I can try to intervene. My values are still my values, and I feel little compulsion to do those things that violate them.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You seem unable to acknowledge that someone can be well aware of how to accomplish something unethical, but still recognize it as wrong, and have enough self-discipline (or perhaps self-respect) to refrain from doing it. I have always been far more tempted by lack of knowledge than knowledge, however. Once I know and understand, that is satifaction enough. Moreover, as in your example, having the knowledge might enable me to recognize when someone else is doing it, so I can try to intervene. My values are still my values, and I feel little compulsion to do those things that violate them.
    Well, then I think you're just a better person than me and most people.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Well, then I think you're just a better person than me and most people.
    I know my own imperfections well enough to find that thought disappointing, and I know you far too little for comparison. As cynical as I can be sometimes, I suppose I just have a higher estimation of the average person's inclination to do the right thing. The question of whether human nature is essentially good or evil, however, is fundamental in philosophy, and not surprisingly unresolved.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Knowledge of something does not lead automatically to its approval
    This.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Exposure doesn't inherently do anything itself.
    Mere-exposure effect.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    I did not mean that it LITERALLY does nothing. It doesn't do what the OP expects as a rule.

Even in that PDF it says:
    Besides, an additional psychological experiment demonstrated that the exposure to
    pictures of people the subjects did not like made them dislike them even more.
    So no. The mere exposure effect does not as a rule make you better able to deal with things.

Not everyone accepts rejection based on exposure. Some just absolutely flip out the more they are rejected.

MBTI
    INFJ

Or put it this way - exposure without skills does not help you get better at being balanced in different situations.

If you have the correct mindset you can make exposure work for you perhaps, but exposure in itself will not help someone balance their life out.

If mere exposure can fix things then there would not be any whacked out people.

Banned

I did not mean that it LITERALLY does nothing. It doesn't do what the OP expects as a rule.

Even in that PDF it says:

So no. The mere exposure effect does not as a rule make you better able to deal with things.

Not everyone accepts rejection based on exposure. Some just absolutely flip out the more they are rejected.
    It's a perfect example actually. Apply it to a song that you really dislike the first time you heard it, you know the one who won't let off, the one that keeps running through the hallways of your mind. Speaking from my own point of view, not always, not even that often but a few slips through the cracks and you start to enjoy hearing it. (Combo with the setting, external stimuli.) I think that you're too focused on what's good or bad in 'dealing with things' as you said. The same exact thing applies to relationships and what you search for. Think for yourself and look, what kind of models have you been imprinted with growing up? There's people who actually go out of their way to search out potential partners that would reject them at first because that's how a certain aspect of them has been molded. Once you reach the peak of understanding that about yourself you can change it or if you're comfortable with it continue along the same path.

That's a fact, and a very well known one. Even if that only partially describes the point I was making. I'm too indolent to take you to school right now.

If mere exposure can fix things then there would not be any whacked out people.
    I can only assume that this is not supposed to be taken LITERALLY either. The apple of my eye.