User Tag List

123 Last

Default How do you feel about eccentricity?

How do you feel about eccentricity? I knew a friend who qualified as a teacher not to long ago and she told me about her graduating group, there was a member of it who was slightly eccentric and wore a skirt, not sure if it was knee length or mini-skirt and in any case I presume they would have been wearing their graduates gown but they went to collect their scroll in bright stripey stockings, she did not mind this but apparently there were those who did and said that the same individual should have been asked to go home and return when they were attired differently.

This is only one example I can think of, I know someone who appreciates eccentricity among the clients they serve in a residential unit, for instance those which oblivious to peer pressure, bullying or even simply the usual demands of daily life, ie school, decide they will dress and be a princess or turn out in a starched tuxedo today.

I've got to say that I kind of appreciate eccentricity too, perhaps its the extrovert side of me but I like to see it in others and feel the impulse myself quite a bit too. What is your feeling or thoughts about this topic?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I love eccentricity. In most cases, anyway. I'm sure you could find a situation where I don't like it, but in general, I find people who stick to norms too often boring.

In person, I have some eccentric impulses, but I suppress them because I don't really like attention (In person, anyway I realize that isn't always true online). I occasionally consider going out carrying my katana just because I know I can. I also once or twice considered dying my hair pink...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

i don't see a problem with it. it's not even a concept, it's an externally created definition, i mean, it tells more about the people assigning those categories that the "eccentric" ones.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    i don't see a problem with it. it's not even a concept, it's an externally created definition, i mean, it tells more about the people assigning those categories that the "eccentric" ones.
    ^This.

Seeing people freely express themselves; disregarding external perceptions & definitions makes me- simply put- happy, in a way.
    I love when people truly do not give a fuck.

There's no need to.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

It's hard to tell when eccentric behavior is just a ploy to get attention / mark oneself as unique. I've seen people do this and respond to criticism as if they were some kind of martyr, a victim in the battle of the individual vs. society, and it can be infuriating. I respect people who are willing to conform when it comes to more superficial things like appearance, who recognize that causing a stir over non-essentials isn't always worth it. at the same time, I recognize that nonconformism is often an attempt to force others to look past the non-essential. i.e. a man who wears a dress because he wants to change others' minds about men who wear dresses. so it can go both ways.

and, yeah, people who are genuinely oblivious/indifferent to society's expectations are great.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by decrescendo View Post
    It's hard to tell when eccentric behavior is just a ploy to get attention / mark oneself as unique. I've seen people do this and respond to criticism as if they were some kind of martyr, a victim in the battle of the individual vs. society, and it can be infuriating. I respect people who are willing to conform when it comes to more superficial things like appearance, who recognize that causing a stir over non-essentials isn't always worth it. at the same time, I recognize that nonconformism is often an attempt to force others to look past the non-essential. i.e. a man who wears a dress because he wants to change others' minds about men who wear dresses. so it can go both ways.

and, yeah, people who are genuinely oblivious/indifferent to society's expectations are great.
    Yeah, attention whores are annoying. But otherwise, it's pretty whatever. It tends to not affect whether or not I interact with them any differently than someone who dresses/acts more conventionally.

Glycerine

It really depends in what way the person is eccentric for me. Like being overly obsessed with knives and death vs. dying their hair leopard print. The former would border on creepy while the latter would be fun and interesting.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    It really depends in what way the person is eccentric for me. Like being overly obsessed with knives and death vs. dying their hair leopard print.

I wonder what category a passionate, creative taxidermist might fall under.

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    It really depends in what way the person is eccentric for me. Like being overly obsessed with knives and death vs. dying their hair leopard print.

I wonder what category a passionate, creative taxidermist might fall under.