• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you feel about eccentricity?

Lark

How do you feel about eccentricity? I knew a friend who qualified as a teacher not to long ago and she told me about her graduating group, there was a member of it who was slightly eccentric and wore a skirt, not sure if it was knee length or mini-skirt and in any case I presume they would have been wearing their graduates gown but they went to collect their scroll in bright stripey stockings, she did not mind this but apparently there were those who did and said that the same individual should have been asked to go home and return when they were attired differently.

This is only one example I can think of, I know someone who appreciates eccentricity among the clients they serve in a residential unit, for instance those which oblivious to peer pressure, bullying or even simply the usual demands of daily life, ie school, decide they will dress and be a princess or turn out in a starched tuxedo today.

I've got to say that I kind of appreciate eccentricity too, perhaps its the extrovert side of me but I like to see it in others and feel the impulse myself quite a bit too. What is your feeling or thoughts about this topic?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love eccentricity. In most cases, anyway. I'm sure you could find a situation where I don't like it, but in general, I find people who stick to norms too often boring.

In person, I have some eccentric impulses, but I suppress them because I don't really like attention (In person, anyway :laugh: I realize that isn't always true online). I occasionally consider going out carrying my katana just because I know I can. :laugh: I also once or twice considered dying my hair pink... :thinking:

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i don't see a problem with it. it's not even a concept, it's an externally created definition, i mean, it tells more about the people assigning those categories that the "eccentric" ones.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i don't see a problem with it. it's not even a concept, it's an externally created definition, i mean, it tells more about the people assigning those categories that the "eccentric" ones.

^This.

Seeing people freely express themselves; disregarding external perceptions & definitions makes me- simply put- happy, in a way.
I love when people truly do not give a fuck.

There's no need to.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
It's hard to tell when eccentric behavior is just a ploy to get attention / mark oneself as unique. I've seen people do this and respond to criticism as if they were some kind of martyr, a victim in the battle of the individual vs. society, and it can be infuriating. I respect people who are willing to conform when it comes to more superficial things like appearance, who recognize that causing a stir over non-essentials isn't always worth it. at the same time, I recognize that nonconformism is often an attempt to force others to look past the non-essential. i.e. a man who wears a dress because he wants to change others' minds about men who wear dresses. so it can go both ways.

and, yeah, people who are genuinely oblivious/indifferent to society's expectations are great.

Permabanned
kill_it_with_fire-s670x394-304461.jpg

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
It's hard to tell when eccentric behavior is just a ploy to get attention / mark oneself as unique. I've seen people do this and respond to criticism as if they were some kind of martyr, a victim in the battle of the individual vs. society, and it can be infuriating. I respect people who are willing to conform when it comes to more superficial things like appearance, who recognize that causing a stir over non-essentials isn't always worth it. at the same time, I recognize that nonconformism is often an attempt to force others to look past the non-essential. i.e. a man who wears a dress because he wants to change others' minds about men who wear dresses. so it can go both ways.

and, yeah, people who are genuinely oblivious/indifferent to society's expectations are great.

Yeah, attention whores are annoying. But otherwise, it's pretty whatever. It tends to not affect whether or not I interact with them any differently than someone who dresses/acts more conventionally.

G

Glycerine

It really depends in what way the person is eccentric for me. Like being overly obsessed with knives and death vs. dying their hair leopard print. The former would border on creepy while the latter would be fun and interesting.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It really depends in what way the person is eccentric for me. Like being overly obsessed with knives and death vs. dying their hair leopard print.

I wonder what category a passionate, creative taxidermist might fall under. :thinking:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It really depends in what way the person is eccentric for me. Like being overly obsessed with knives and death vs. dying their hair leopard print.

I wonder what category a passionate, creative taxidermist might fall under. :thinking:

G

Glycerine

Hmmm.. good point, I am not sure how I would personally categorize that. I guess that further proves the point that it really comes down to subjective perceptions. :thinking:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It really depends in what way the person is eccentric for me. Like being overly obsessed with knives and death vs. dying their hair leopard print. The former would border on creepy while the latter would be fun and interesting.

Pretty much. Also in the "no thanks" category for me would be people who are clearly actively trying to be eccentric for attention.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eccentricity is tolerable until the point it becomes contrived. With that said, I think I'm more inclined to dislike eccentric people because I always assume they're seeking attention.

Lark

^This.

Seeing people freely express themselves; disregarding external perceptions & definitions makes me- simply put- happy, in a way.
I love when people truly do not give a fuck.

There's no need to.

Sometimes I think its sad because they usually appear to be care free for a while but one way or another they are exhausted, then some patterns or hard core conformity follow which is disappointing.

I think that peoples insecurity or attachment needs find them out or catch up with them in the end.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Sometimes I think its sad because they usually appear to be care free for a while but one way or another they are exhausted, then some patterns or hard core conformity follow which is disappointing.

I think that peoples insecurity or attachment needs find them out or catch up with them in the end.

Or it's the brain mites that leech all the fun out of anything and everything.

I never really want to conform. Some times life just deigns to suck all the happy out of me. Then it's like "You want serious? I can be that."
I. Am a robot. Is this. Satisfactory. How. Do you like me. Now. Bish.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
It depends on how they are eccentric. If it's for attention then no I don't appreciate it. If they're doing it solely to not conform, then that isn't even being eccentric to me. It's just some kind of outlaw mentality. If a person in my intimidate sphere is eccentric, that is to say that they are impacting my environment, then I would likely resent it highly.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like the ones who are crazy in a cool way like tesla or something, but not the ones like howard hughes

Permabanned
It depends on how they are eccentric. If it's for attention then no I don't appreciate it. If they're doing it solely to not conform, then that isn't even being eccentric to me. It's just some kind of outlaw mentality. If a person in my intimidate sphere is eccentric, that is to say that they are impacting my environment, then I would likely resent it highly.
This.

And this.
:coffee: