User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Bullies do give a fuck or they wouldn't bully. Whether it's exerting dominance or enforcing peer norms, one has to be up in people's business.

When somebody bullies you it's because they do give a fuck. Otherwise they'd be able to leave you alone. Or even accept you, heaven forbid.
    Yep, those are good points.

Eccentricity by definition is benign. It has nothing to do with crazy because it is always harmless.

I'd dare to say that people who maintain it for long periods without some kind of feeling about it are either lucky that they didn't catch a lot of shit for it, or are simply oblivious.

Most people are not oblivious to what others expect of them, though. So typically if the behavior continues, there is a degree of "not caring what you think" involved in it.
    Yes it is, however, not all examples referenced in this thread fall into that category.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Yes it is, however, not all examples referenced in this thread fall into that category.
    True. And in the technical sense, anything not usual is eccentric, when speaking of planetary orbits and math and all that. But in humans eccentric behavior is typically harmless behavior.

So a psycho killer would count as eccentric by the technical definition, but definitely not by the social one.

Whether or not eccentricity can be intentional is arguable I'd say, but I wouldn't go so far as to define it by what one finds as appealing or attention seeking because it is very easy to be mistaken there.

Conformists really do hate eccentrics.

Most of us conform to our job, our family or our friends, but then we moralise our conformity, so anyone eccentric is not moral.

We internalise our conformity so we see conformity is good for us and eccentricity is bad for us.

Then we externalise our belief eccentricity is bad for us onto others, and go from saying eccentricity is bad for them to saying they are bad for being eccentric.

But in fact conformity is based on bad faith and moral cowadice.

We saw this is in the holocaust when the only ones to help the Jews were eccentrics.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Conformists really do hate eccentrics.

Most of us conform to our job, our family or our friends, but then we moralise our conformity, so anyone eccentric is not moral.

We internalise our conformity so we see conformity is good for us and eccentricity is bad for us.

Then we externalise our belief eccentricity is bad for us onto others, and go from saying eccentricity is bad for them to saying they are bad for being eccentric.

But in fact conformity is based on bad faith and moral cowadice.

We saw this is in the holocaust when the only ones to help the Jews were eccentrics.
    Yes. Normal can be bad some times.

It's also interesting to examine what's being called eccentric by contrast.

What's considered eccentric by contrast shows exactly how stringent and petty many 'norms' are. I mean hair styles? Seriously? I don't see how hair should be so relevant that the concept even forms itself to begin with.

Eccentric is not even in my normal vocabulary. If it weren't for the contrast of typical norms, and people actually talking about it, I wouldn't even see it. I typically don't see it. I've never thought of Einstein as having eccentric hair for example - I just know that other people do because they have said as much.

Yes. Normal can be bad some times.

It's also interesting to examine what's being called eccentric by contrast.

What's considered eccentric by contrast shows exactly how stringent and petty many 'norms' are. I mean hair styles? Seriously? I don't see how hair should be so relevant that the concept even forms itself to begin with.

Eccentric is not even in my normal vocabulary. If it weren't for the contrast of typical norms, and people actually talking about it, I wouldn't even see it. I typically don't see it. I've never thought of Einstein as having eccentric hair for example - I just know that other people do because they have said as much.
    If you're anything like me, you'll notice it when it's toxic, as that's when it stands out to me, e.g. like @ceecee said, when it starts interfering with my environment I cease to see it as being harmless and being neutral about it.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFJ

If you're anything like me, you'll notice it when it's toxic, as that's when it stands out to me, e.g. like @ceecee said, when it starts interfering with my environment I cease to see it as being harmless and being neutral about it.
    That's the summary of conformity and hinges around your sense of what 'interfering' is, which is entirely relative and up to you.

The question then is what counts as interference, and is it individual, or social? I mean, what can anyone do that doesn't annoy somebody?

Edit: this also doesn't seem to explain why some people apparently go out of their way to have a problem with something. Like going to somebody else's house and being bothered by their habits - who's interfering with who's environment?

That's the summary of conformity and hinges around your sense of what 'interfering' is, which is entirely relative and up to you.

The question then is what counts as interference, and is it individual, or social? I mean, what can anyone do that doesn't annoy somebody?
    I don't care about being pleased any more than I care about being harassed to accommodate for what someone else believes to be their freedom of expression. If it was only just that, then I'd have no problem with it. But chances are that if I dom then a line has been crossed. One's freedom only extends as far as where someone else's begins. The example of the obnoxious FJ getting into one's private space comes to mind. Go ahead and try to tell me how benign that eccentricity is.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I adore 'eccentricity' and those who refuse to conform. I collect them as friends, partially because I am one of them.

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't care about being pleased any more than I care about being harassed to accommodate for what someone else believes to be their freedom of expression. If it was only just that, then I'd have no problem with it. But chances are that if I dom then a line has been crossed. One's freedom only extends as far as where someone else's begins. The example of the obnoxious FJ getting into one's private space comes to mind. Go ahead and try to tell me how benign that eccentricity is.
    Well it is only just that. If that line is crossed then it becomes something else. You have to clarify what you mean, though. This is important.

I wouldn't call any kind of invasion an eccentricity. (with 'invasion' meaning something other than "being different and in the same room")

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

to quote @Jaguar- who gives a fuck?

though if you're just doing it for attention, you're pretty fucking pathetic
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett