User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 46

  1. #21
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Sometimes I think its sad because they usually appear to be care free for a while but one way or another they are exhausted, then some patterns or hard core conformity follow which is disappointing.

    I think that peoples insecurity or attachment needs find them out or catch up with them in the end.
    Fortunately, for some people, the cost of satisfying those needs at the compromise of their core sense of self is too high. I've seen what you've described, sadly often- a little light goes out - usually when they find they can't pursue something related to their fundamental little quirks, etc.. and they surrender to perceived expectations of others, glaze over, & try to convince themselves they're happy/fulfilled. But, fortunately-as I said- I've also seen people find success and happiness in not backing down, even when others may question it, or attachments they thought were necessary to validate something within them were at stake. The people in your life who truly matter will accept you for who you are, regardless of whether or not it's fully understood on every possible level. But ey, I'm just an idealist talking, here.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

  2. #22
    Retired Nicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,512

    Default

    I hate it when people try to be eccentric to be this nonconformist. It's really irritating IMO. If people are eccentric to the point of creepy, it makes me feel uncomfortable. For example, when I was in middle school, there was this guy who never took showers or brushed his teeth because he thought germs were cool. I didn't appreciate that kind of eccentricity. But if you're talking Luna Lovegood-eccentric, then I would be totally fine as I'm fairly eccentric myself.

  3. #23
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    I hate it when people try to be eccentric to be this nonconformist. It's really irritating IMO. If people are eccentric to the point of creepy, it makes me feel uncomfortable. For example, when I was in middle school, there was this guy who never took showers or brushed his teeth because he thought germs were cool. I didn't appreciate that kind of eccentricity. But if you're talking Luna Lovegood-eccentric, then I would be totally fine as I'm fairly eccentric myself.
    lack of hygiene -1st world and assuming intended - isn't being eccentric, it's called being a filthy motherfucker.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Viridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    IsFJ
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    I'm not much of a vibrant eccentric, but I do respect the gadflies. They're happy being themselves.

    In-your-face oddball behavior can be tiring, though, although that applies to extroversion in general for me.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

  5. #25
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Oh so eccentric is just wearing funny earrings or listening to people through an earhorn eh?

    How damn irrelevant is that?

    Eccentricity is rebellion, not retardation.

  6. #26
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    I like einstein weird hair eccentricity not carrot top weird hair eccentricity
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  7. #27
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    This is also personal to me because people are cruel for no good reason which is why some adopt the attitude of totally not giving a fuck.

    When I was young I had a verbal tick where the last word in my sentences would be really looooooong. I got made fun of for that until I stopped talking. Then I got made fun of for being silent.

    I was often miserable and excluded when I was little. By being miserable and excluded I didn't get to learn what the social norms were, which meant that I continued to be different which made me more excluded.

    People who judge and hurt others can piss off.

  8. #28
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    This is also personal to me because people are cruel for no good reason which is why some adopt the attitude of totally not giving a fuck.

    When I was young I had a verbal tick where the last word in my sentences would be really looooooong. I got made fun of for that until I stopped talking. Then I got made fun of for being silent.

    I was often miserable and excluded when I was little. By being miserable and excluded I didn't get to learn what the social norms were, which meant that I continued to be different which made me more excluded.

    People who judge and hurt others can piss off.
    No sure that's what you mean, but I think the not giving a fuck about others as an excuse for being cruel/bullying is a byproduct of a convoluted fubar self and unrelated to eccentricity.

    ETA: examples like einstein are what I'd fit into neutral/true eccentricity and harmless/without smoke&mirror fubarness, which I'm fine with, as an expression of self.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

  9. #29
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    No sure that's what you mean, but I think the not giving a fuck about others as an excuse for being cruel/bullying is a byproduct of a convoluted fubar self and unrelated to eccentricity.
    Bullies do give a fuck or they wouldn't bully. Whether it's exerting dominance or enforcing peer norms, one has to be up in people's business.

    When somebody bullies you it's because they do give a fuck. Otherwise they'd be able to leave you alone. Or even accept you, heaven forbid.

  10. #30
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    ETA: examples like einstein are what I'd fit into neutral/true eccentricity and harmless/without smoke&mirror fubarness, which I'm fine with, as an expression of self.
    Eccentricity by definition is benign. It has nothing to do with crazy because it is always harmless.

    I'd dare to say that people who maintain it for long periods without some kind of feeling about it are either lucky that they didn't catch a lot of shit for it, or are simply oblivious.

    Most people are not oblivious to what others expect of them, though. So typically if the behavior continues, there is a degree of "not caring what you think" involved in it.

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Sucking up. How do you feel about it?
    By SilkRoad in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-18-2009, 08:02 PM
  2. How do you feel about sports?
    By The_Liquid_Laser in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 06:58 AM
  3. Guys: How do you feel about having a female doctor?
    By Giggly in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-26-2008, 03:26 PM
  4. How do you feel about your nation's corporations?
    By Ezra in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 02:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO