failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Default Dissociative Disorder

I have a friend with dissociative disorder. I'm not even sure they are my friend, but I am their friend. Sometimes it's wonderful and sometimes it's highly frustrating dealing with this friend.

It seems we play this game of getting closer, then they push away, really hard!, and it's tough. This has happened often enough it feels like it must be some sort of reactive attachment disorder playing out, but it's still hard.

I am human and loving, and I want to have this person in my life, but I'm not sure they want me in their life?

Just wanted to share. I love this person very much and would love knowing all about their personalities, but when they hurt me, it is really, really hard.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Glycerine

It usually has more to do with them than you. To be honest, I have that tendency with people. For me, I feel uncomfortable getting close to people (I start to close off when I feel exposed). Also, it might be that I am trying to work through some issues where I block out most of the people in my life.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Thanks for saying so. I have read that they can have a 'sentry' personality that keeps guard over the core person and other personalities and that it is like hitting a brick wall. I think I have run into that with a few of her personalities...I'm wondering if they can have more than one sentry? This person seems to have several, honestly, mostly female.

Why do you block out people in your life?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Glycerine

Does she have dissociative identity disorder?

I don't have DID but for me, blocking others out has always been my main protective defense/coping mechanism. In a sense, your mind/self is your only haven when you feel like there is nowhere to turn. It can be quite useful but if you go too far, you start to isolate yourself.

If your friend has DID, she probably has protective mechanisms up the wazoo because DID is, in a way, an extreme form of compartmentalizing/protective mechanism for some people who have been incredibly traumatized, typically speaking.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Yes. But I think it's more DDNOS: Dissociative disorder not otherwise specified. Meaning that she doesn't seem to have the amnesia as much as those do with straight DID, though I think she has some. Also, there does seem to be co-consciousness at play, where she knows what she is doing with all the other personalities--I've seen it in action.

But she also seems to switch back and forth quickly, too quickly sometimes, which makes me think overlaying the DDNOS there is a somewhat voluntary con-artiste at work, making various 'characters' in addition to the primary personalities. So, several layers of dissociative disorder?

She's quite complex, which is one of the reasons why I love her so much. I also wonder if it's really just her or if her sibling is involved....sometimes there is just too much going on to be attributed to one person.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

Glycerine

Interesting! The mind can do fascinating things to protect itself, can't it?

The number of personalities can range from 2-100+.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Yes. That is what I've read.

Wouldn't one want to integrate these personalities back into one person? I've read it's stressful switching around all the time. I'd imagine that is taxing on a body.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

Glycerine

Possibly. However, I would think that if you have been in that state for a long time, it would just become normal to you. If it has been your main way to deal with trauma for such a long time, I wonder how it would be possible to deal with it any other way.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Possibly. However, I would think that if you have been in that state for a long time, it would just become normal to you. If it has been your main way to deal with trauma for such a long time, I wonder how it be possible to deal with it any other way.
    That's the big problem. I think it's the same kind of process as any form of "integration" or having to dismantle old self-protective safety measures in order to become a whole aware healthy person... It's just that Dissociative Disorder is far more complex and extreme. You have these approaches to life that you developed to prevent yourself from deep harm or even death, you are accustomed to them, you know them, and now someone is saying that they are bad for you and that you must not just give up what has given you security and life but also develop something new and as yet undefinied?

It's not easy even with lesser conditions, and in those cases the person at least has awareness of everything on some level; with this condition, you're not even aware (sometimes) of the extent of what you are not perceiving because it lies in the domain of another personality.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Interesting! The mind can do fascinating things to protect itself, can't it?

The number of personalities can range from 2-100+.
    The problem is, and this is in regard to @Jennifer 's post too, that you no longer need it for a survival mechanism....And it becomes, ironically, a death trap of sorts, pulling you away from real life and relationships.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com