First 1234 Last

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    People who develop DID (the sybil variety) and DDNOS do so to protect themselves from severe chronic trauma, usually of a sexual nature. It must occur before the age of 7 or so or else it seems that the mind is after that unable to 'split'. They also are usually of above average intelligence. The resulting 'mental disorder' protects their inner, unprocessed feelings because they occurred at a time when the person was too young to make sense of them and process them adequately, or because they were simply unallowed or had no time to do so. Most of us cannot fathom the kind of trauma it involves to get here (watch sybil and see what I mean), so it is not hard to imagine a toddler, baby, or young child not being able to process it.

So, the emotions that would result from the sequestered feelings are stopped, because the feelings are stopped because they are locked away in compartments as @sprinkles described so well. Consequently, what these people are most at risk of are what I would call asocial disorders...things that protect them from getting close to others because they are afraid of enduring further trauma. They live more in a state of stagnation or withdrawal from life because life has always hurt. In doing this, they live on autopilot and are stuck in survival mode always, and most deal with PTSD on a daily basis (because PTSD triggers unconscious arousal) they are protected from the feelings that are buried in their mind and body (lots of 'bad' body memories, probably more so than mind memories like most people have, or can even understand), and are therefore protected from the emotions resulting from that. Everything is sublimated to survival. However, it's been said that they have huge amounts of buried rage.

Those with antisocial disorder are more conscious of having been hurt and are more consciously angry about it, but don't know how to deal with it, so they learn dysfunctional coping mechanisms that to us seem irrational, but to them make sense, usually aimed at unfair targets/society in general. They must get a sense of relief--because they constantly are dealing with the emotions but don't know how to release them--when they project them or take them out on others. They have also been traumatized chronically from a very young age, but instead of compartmentalizing feelings that are impossible to make sense of, like in DID and DDNOS, etc., they are forced to deal with them. They then can become so desensitized to pain that, in this process, they also do not adequately develop their empathy for others, which makes all the difference. Empathy for others, in the absence of love and in the presence of pain, develops one's conscience. Therefore, they lack a healthy conscience. That is why it is hard to treat them because you would have to go back, I'd guess with intensive and persistent regression therapy, including hypnosis (I'm not usually an advocate of hypnosis but I think in this case it would be necessary), to awaken or retrieve the infantile feelings of empathy, and bring them to life again.

So people with DID, DDNOS, etc., usually just are at risk of hurting themselves because they become so fatigued fighting to protect themselves and their pysches, in addition to living a dead life, that they have high rates of suicide. Those with antisocial disorder are more at risk for harming others, in various schemes, or homicidally (from your con-artists to your mass murderers). Those with antisocial disorder usually do not have DID or DDNOS because if they had, they might not have become antisocial....Though those with DID and DDNOS, etc., can have some characteristics of antisocial disorder, they have largely been protected from the thrust of it, and struggle more with asocial disorders. Because buried deep in their core are all those unexplored and protected feelings waiting to be opened up.

Thanks so much Sprinkles for your input. I'm fascinated by multiple personality disorder. Please feel free to criticize my post and I will correct as needed.
    Perhaps you are misdiagnosing your friend. Have you considered asking them about their history?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I have a friend with dissociative disorder. I'm not even sure they are my friend, but I am their friend. Sometimes it's wonderful and sometimes it's highly frustrating dealing with this friend.

It seems we play this game of getting closer, then they push away, really hard!, and it's tough. This has happened often enough it feels like it must be some sort of reactive attachment disorder playing out, but it's still hard.

I am human and loving, and I want to have this person in my life, but I'm not sure they want me in their life?

Just wanted to share. I love this person very much and would love knowing all about their personalities, but when they hurt me, it is really, really hard.
    They probably don't know if they want you in their life either. On the one hand, you provide comfort; on the other, anxiety.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Shouldn't dissociative disorders and anti-social personality disorder have essentially nothing to do with each other at all?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Shouldn't dissociative disorders and anti-social personality disorder have essentially nothing to do with each other at all?
    That's correct.

Some times there's overlap in symptoms, especially in stuff like Complex PTSD. Some people might turn to self harm, substance abuse, etc - but these things are symptomatic and not arising from the core issue. Different people handle it differently.

MBTI
    INFJ

Thanks so much Sprinkles for your input. I'm fascinated by multiple personality disorder. Please feel free to criticize my post and I will correct as needed.
    Thanks.

Also I wouldn't say that people with DID necessarily have to live a dead life.

Some people get stuck that way. And it might look that way from the outside when they push you away to be 'safe' (which always sucks of course)

From talking to other people with dissociative identities, I think the ones that acknowledge their identities and tend to their needs are usually more successful. Acceptance is a big part of working it out, since cooperation is actually needed with the different parts. I've met people that have jobs and a social life but are still just careful of their friends.

It can be tough to work out because parts can play different archetypal roles.

Some just hold the memories, or are kind of stuck in one time in life, and they might not age or age more slowly than the body. They might still be children and have to be handled with care.

Other parts are gatekeepers or protectors. These are the tough fighting parts, the survivors. They are the ones that might cuss you out.

Then there's what I like to call face parts, the ones that typically interact with the world, and often try to keep some appearance of cohesiveness and sanity for those who do not know what is going on inside.

Some times there may be one or more cores or coordinators that are co conscious and may have some ability to control or negotiate with others. But not all parts are necessarily co conscious with each other - one part can be aware of other parts and have their memories but it might not work in reverse, kind of like a one way mirror.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Perhaps you are misdiagnosing your friend. Have you considered asking them about their history?
    I have tried. What I have pieced together has taken years now, with mostly indirect communication, either because of severe asocial needs with a 'new' person (me), or because they just are not that interested in letting me in.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    They probably don't know if they want you in their life either. On the one hand, you provide comfort; on the other, anxiety.
    Yeah, but they've let me know enough to figure all this out. I'm not sure what the motivation behind that is, and it could likely be multivarious, but I give them the benefit of the doubt that they want me to know them intimately.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Thanks.

Also I wouldn't say that people with DID necessarily have to live a dead life.

Some people get stuck that way. And it might look that way from the outside when they push you away to be 'safe' (which always sucks of course)

From talking to other people with dissociative identities, I think the ones that acknowledge their identities and tend to their needs are usually more successful. Acceptance is a big part of working it out, since cooperation is actually needed with the different parts. I've met people that have jobs and a social life but are still just careful of their friends.

It can be tough to work out because parts can play different archetypal roles.

Some just hold the memories, or are kind of stuck in one time in life, and they might not age or age more slowly than the body. They might still be children and have to be handled with care.

Other parts are gatekeepers or protectors. These are the tough fighting parts, the survivors. They are the ones that might cuss you out.

Then there's what I like to call face parts, the ones that typically interact with the world, and often try to keep some appearance of cohesiveness and sanity for those who do not know what is going on inside.

Some times there may be one or more cores or coordinators that are co conscious and may have some ability to control or negotiate with others. But not all parts are necessarily co conscious with each other - one part can be aware of other parts and have their memories but it might not work in reverse, kind of like a one way mirror.

I said that because the videos I've seen usually cite something like that as to why they finally sought therapy or decided to try to integrate, because they were not able to fully live, in some capacity, because otherwise your life is very compartmentalized and it makes it virtually impossible to have healthy relationships. And over time, people tend to switch more which become physically exhausting to the point of illness.

I'm sure you live inasmuch as you can live as different people making up a whole person. But do the parts really equal a whole? Maybe they equal more than a whole in some ways? For whatever reason, most end up desiring to integrate their personalities together as they get older.

I appreciate your knowledge so much. I've pretty much had to grapple on my own with this and figured it all out by indirect, subterfuged communication with my friend. That is a testament to how much they mean to me. I hope they realize that.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFJ

I have tried. What I have pieced together has taken years now, with mostly indirect communication, either because of severe asocial needs with a 'new' person (me), or because they just are not that interested in letting me in.

Yeah, but they've let me know enough to figure all this out. I'm not sure what the motivation behind that is, and it could likely be multivarious, but I give them the benefit of the doubt that they want me to know them intimately.

I said that because the videos I've seen usually cite something like that as to why they finally sought therapy or decided to try to integrate, because they were not able to fully live, in some capacity, because otherwise your life is very compartmentalized and it makes it virtually impossible to have healthy relationships. And over time, people tend to switch more which become physically exhausting to the point of illness.

I'm sure you live inasmuch as you can live as different people making up a whole person. But do the parts really equal a whole? Maybe they equal more than a whole in some ways? For whatever reason, most end up desiring to integrate their personalities together as they get older.

I appreciate your knowledge so much. I've pretty much had to grapple on my own with this and figured it all out by indirect, subterfuged communication with my friend. That is a testament to how much they mean to me. I hope they realize that.
    Yeah. It can be a shattered whole.

The sum of the parts can also be more than the whole.

Some times you end up with a beautiful gift that you can give to yourself, and yourself appreciates it.

When I'm talking about spiders, that's another part. It's beautiful to see that part love something and be so positive about it. It's actually uplifting and self inspiring. Then I come to embrace that part and consider it myself.

It's a unique, sad, but sometimes beautiful mess.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah. It can be a shattered whole.

The sum of the parts can also be more than the whole.

Some times you end up with a beautiful gift that you can give to yourself, and yourself appreciates it.

When I'm talking about spiders, that's another part. It's beautiful to see that part love something and be so positive about it. It's actually uplifting and self inspiring. Then I come to embrace that part and consider it myself.

It's a unique, sad, but sometimes beautiful mess.

Yeah.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Why do you have so many personalities?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_P..._As_a_Multiple

Thinking I might order this book.

Anyone read it yet?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com