User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: YOUR DREAMY

Default YOUR DREAMY

Do dreams give a way to experience, umm, let's say, a more adventurous life that a persons super ego wouldn't allow in real life?
    "May you live all the days of your life"

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Ya, I would think so, as I do indeed see the dream world, or even the world of the mind for that matter as kind of a no restrictions zone, a continually transforming place of complete chaos, whereas in the real world, there are constant laws that are stable and unchanging.

In the physical sense, as of right now, we are not free, though you could argue that our minds are free, like in dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Ya, I would think so, as I do indeed see the dream world, or even the world of the mind for that matter as kind of a no restrictions zone, a continually transforming place of complete chaos, whereas in the real world, there are constant laws that are stable and unchanging.

In the physical sense, as of right now, we are not free, though you could argue that our minds are free, like in dreams.
    And not just like thinking or daydreaming but to us it IS reality. Would it equal reality as far as satisfying the part of us that longs to be more adventurous?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled1 View Post
    And not just like thinking or daydreaming but to us it IS reality. Would it equal reality as far as satisfying the part of us that longs to be more adventurous?
    The below post should prove to be an interesting responce to your question:

Quote Originally Posted by Rad3k View Post
    Ok, I'll try to make it as easy to understand as I can.

The existence needs sorting out first, so here it is: First, let's assume an objective, "global" notion of existence. It's simple - everything exists. No matter how hard you try, you won't come up with something that doesn't exist, because there's simply no such a thing. As part of this "everything", there are infinitely many universes containing everything you can imagine and more. It may help to imagine that these universes exist in the same way as numbers exist - together they form a sort of continuum. Our universe (well, that's not technically correct, but I'll explain later) is there too.

That notion of existence was precise (sort of) but not useful - it doesn't really say anything about anything. So now let's assume a subjective one - what exists for me. I do exist, obviously Everything that I can experience also exists in some way or another. Whether what I experience is "real", is a creation of my imagination, or whatever else, is irrelevant as long as there's no way of telling these scenarios apart. There are also infinitely many universes that are identical from my perspective (including some in which everything I don't see turns pink), and differ only in what is unknown to me. So either I'm in one of them, but have no way to know which one it is, or I'm actually in all of them. And, like previously, there's really no difference. The only things meaningful to me are the things that I experience. Together, these experiences form my consciousness and define me.

If a canvas painted all black symbolized everything (in the objective sense) and a blank canvas symbolized nothing, my consciousness would be some shape. A shape carries more meaning than a single-colored (whether black or white) plane. If my consciousness was to expand indefinitely, it could at some point contain everything. And then it would be almost the same as if it contained nothing.

It's still not all, but I'm too tired to continue now.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    The below post should prove to be an interesting responce to your question:
    Nah.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think it's probably some kind of psychosis if you think your dreams are reality.

I just stick with neurosis and allow books to fulfill my need for escape.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I think it's probably some kind of psychosis if you think your dreams are reality.

I just stick with neurosis and allow books to fulfill my need for escape.
    I know its not actual reality but as far as fulfilling some need would it be real in that sense. A vivid dream is more real than any movie. Does your mind know the difference until you wake up

MBTI
    INFJ

I know its not actual reality but as far as fulfilling some need would it be real in that sense. A vivid dream is more real than any movie. Does your mind know the difference until you wake up
    Typically you don't know that it isn't real until you wake up. It's a retrospective thing - discovering that it wasn't real after the fact.

This is why lucid dreaming, being aware that you are dreaming while you are dreaming, is a rather exceptional and interesting thing.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Do dreams give a way to experience, umm, let's say, a more adventurous life that a persons super ego wouldn't allow in real life?
    Only when they are lucid - then the world becomes my playground. Haven't had one in years though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Nope, but I almost never remember my dreams for more than a minute or two after I wake up. The ones I remember generally aren't all that amazing. Just kind of weird. My husband and one of my kids has what I call action/adventure dreams.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers