• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

YOUR DREAMY

bedeviled1

Do dreams give a way to experience, umm, let's say, a more adventurous life that a persons super ego wouldn't allow in real life?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ya, I would think so, as I do indeed see the dream world, or even the world of the mind for that matter as kind of a no restrictions zone, a continually transforming place of complete chaos, whereas in the real world, there are constant laws that are stable and unchanging.

In the physical sense, as of right now, we are not free, though you could argue that our minds are free, like in dreams.

bedeviled1

Ya, I would think so, as I do indeed see the dream world, or even the world of the mind for that matter as kind of a no restrictions zone, a continually transforming place of complete chaos, whereas in the real world, there are constant laws that are stable and unchanging.

In the physical sense, as of right now, we are not free, though you could argue that our minds are free, like in dreams.

And not just like thinking or daydreaming but to us it IS reality. Would it equal reality as far as satisfying the part of us that longs to be more adventurous?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And not just like thinking or daydreaming but to us it IS reality. Would it equal reality as far as satisfying the part of us that longs to be more adventurous?

The below post should prove to be an interesting responce to your question:

Ok, I'll try to make it as easy to understand as I can.

The existence needs sorting out first, so here it is: First, let's assume an objective, "global" notion of existence. It's simple - everything exists. No matter how hard you try, you won't come up with something that doesn't exist, because there's simply no such a thing. As part of this "everything", there are infinitely many universes containing everything you can imagine and more. It may help to imagine that these universes exist in the same way as numbers exist - together they form a sort of continuum. Our universe (well, that's not technically correct, but I'll explain later) is there too.

That notion of existence was precise (sort of) but not useful - it doesn't really say anything about anything. So now let's assume a subjective one - what exists for me. I do exist, obviously ;) Everything that I can experience also exists in some way or another. Whether what I experience is "real", is a creation of my imagination, or whatever else, is irrelevant as long as there's no way of telling these scenarios apart. There are also infinitely many universes that are identical from my perspective (including some in which everything I don't see turns pink), and differ only in what is unknown to me. So either I'm in one of them, but have no way to know which one it is, or I'm actually in all of them. And, like previously, there's really no difference. The only things meaningful to me are the things that I experience. Together, these experiences form my consciousness and define me.

If a canvas painted all black symbolized everything (in the objective sense) and a blank canvas symbolized nothing, my consciousness would be some shape. A shape carries more meaning than a single-colored (whether black or white) plane. If my consciousness was to expand indefinitely, it could at some point contain everything. And then it would be almost the same as if it contained nothing.

It's still not all, but I'm too tired to continue now.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1

I think it's probably some kind of psychosis if you think your dreams are reality.

I just stick with neurosis and allow books to fulfill my need for escape.

bedeviled1

I think it's probably some kind of psychosis if you think your dreams are reality.

I just stick with neurosis and allow books to fulfill my need for escape.

I know its not actual reality but as far as fulfilling some need would it be real in that sense. A vivid dream is more real than any movie. Does your mind know the difference until you wake up

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I know its not actual reality but as far as fulfilling some need would it be real in that sense. A vivid dream is more real than any movie. Does your mind know the difference until you wake up

Typically you don't know that it isn't real until you wake up. It's a retrospective thing - discovering that it wasn't real after the fact.

This is why lucid dreaming, being aware that you are dreaming while you are dreaming, is a rather exceptional and interesting thing.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do dreams give a way to experience, umm, let's say, a more adventurous life that a persons super ego wouldn't allow in real life?

Only when they are lucid - then the world becomes my playground. Haven't had one in years though.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Nope, but I almost never remember my dreams for more than a minute or two after I wake up. The ones I remember generally aren't all that amazing. Just kind of weird. My husband and one of my kids has what I call action/adventure dreams.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nope, but I almost never remember my dreams for more than a minute or two after I wake up. The ones I remember generally aren't all that amazing. Just kind of weird. My husband and one of my kids has what I call action/adventure dreams.

More or less this for me. I remembered my dreams more when I was younger. Sometimes they were creative or exciting. There are some I had probably between the ages of 12 and 20 that I still remember details of. Even then, though, my dreams tended to be sort of...a bit weird but fairly realistic. And generally a bit unpleasant. About someone dying, or making a bad decision that had a severe effect on my life.

I've always been quite imaginative and certainly I've always read imaginative literature. I find it interesting in a way that my dreams have tended to be a bit dull. Recently I hardly ever remember them and if I do they are not interesting, or they are mildly interesting but not very nice. I have friends who are very down-to-earth, very Sensor and avoid imaginative books etc like the plague, but they have lurid, gruesome, horror-movie dreams.

I wonder if I dream enough while awake that I fulfill that to a certain extent, or my life is adventurous enough already (I have had quite an adventurous life in a lot of ways). I am fascinated by dreams though - it's one reason why I loved Inception, there was much that I related to in my experience of dreaming. I do tend to have recurring dreams when things upset me or if I've broken off with someone and there's unfinished business - sometimes such people have walked in and out of my dreams for years.

bedeviled1

Typically you don't know that it isn't real until you wake up. It's a retrospective thing - discovering that it wasn't real after the fact.

This is why lucid dreaming, being aware that you are dreaming while you are dreaming, is a rather exceptional and interesting thing.

Is that a natural occuring experience?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
More or less this for me. I remembered my dreams more when I was younger. Sometimes they were creative or exciting. There are some I had probably between the ages of 12 and 20 that I still remember details of. Even then, though, my dreams tended to be sort of...a bit weird but fairly realistic. And generally a bit unpleasant. About someone dying, or making a bad decision that had a severe effect on my life.

I've always been quite imaginative and certainly I've always read imaginative literature. I find it interesting in a way that my dreams have tended to be a bit dull. Recently I hardly ever remember them and if I do they are not interesting, or they are mildly interesting but not very nice. I have friends who are very down-to-earth, very Sensor and avoid imaginative books etc like the plague, but they have lurid, gruesome, horror-movie dreams.

I wonder if I dream enough while awake that I fulfill that to a certain extent, or my life is adventurous enough already (I have had quite an adventurous life in a lot of ways). I am fascinated by dreams though - it's one reason why I loved Inception, there was much that I related to in my experience of dreaming. I do tend to have recurring dreams when things upset me or if I've broken off with someone and there's unfinished business - sometimes such people have walked in and out of my dreams for years.
Yeah, mine are pretty obviously me working through stuff I'm feeling anxious about: I had recurring dreams about driving when I was learning to drive. I dreamed I was naked and couldn't find my baby when I was pregnant.

I dreamed about three of my babies before they were born. The weird one was when I dreamed I was searching the hospital looking for my baby son and when I found him, he was hooked up to all kinds of medical equipment. It's similar to what ended up happening when he was born. It isn't a pleasant memory.

I can't remember a dream I've enjoyed. I can remember waking up having enjoyed a dream and then promptly forgetting it.

I don't think of myself as being particularly imaginative, but I live with two INTPs and an INFP, so maybe I am and don't know it. I do read or listen to a lot of fiction. I love stories more than just about anything.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I agree about the working through anxiety thing. I'd say the majority of dreams that I remember, certainly these days (and it's not many) are along those lines.) Sometimes it's very obvious what it is, sometimes less so but there's some theme of anxiety or upset over something.

I just wondered about the people I know who are almost repressively down-to-earth but then have some thrilling or shocking dreams, or they have them constantly. I do wonder if they're repressing that kind of impulse consciously and it breaks out in dreams.

I have had dreams which seemed like premonition, too. I dream that I get a certain type of news about someone, and then almost that thing happens in real life shortly after. I don't think it's exactly "premonition" but probably a sort of Ni movement in my mind, collecting indications and vibes and moments which I hardly notice consciously, but then releasing them into my dreams as something more accurate than what I might consciously have come up with. (Or sometimes it may be something I sort of know subconsciously, but it's unpleasant for me to face so I suppress it, and it comes out in dreams.)

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Is that a natural occuring experience?
It's natural I guess, but not typical. Some people just fall into it by accident.

Most do not because the brain likes to believe what it sees if it seems real enough. This is why hallucinations can be so problematic. But there are ways to drop into an illusion without losing your awareness, for example going straight from an already lucid state to REM sleep - you still have your 'awake' wits while being asleep.

The other way is to gain awareness during the dream without waking, so that you go from a non lucid dream to a lucid one. Basically you figure it out that it isn't real while you're still asleep rather than having to wake up to figure it out.

bedeviled1

What about dreaming of say having a relationship with someone and then have , feelings, for that person for days. Especially if it was a fickle person

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What about dreaming of say having a relationship with someone and then have , feelings, for that person for days. Especially if it was a fickle person

It would make me look differently at them, or question my feelings for them. I think that's only ever happened to me with someone when I already had a slight inkling (even if very slight) that I might like them already.