First 12

Thread: YOUR DREAMY

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Nope, but I almost never remember my dreams for more than a minute or two after I wake up. The ones I remember generally aren't all that amazing. Just kind of weird. My husband and one of my kids has what I call action/adventure dreams.
    More or less this for me. I remembered my dreams more when I was younger. Sometimes they were creative or exciting. There are some I had probably between the ages of 12 and 20 that I still remember details of. Even then, though, my dreams tended to be sort of...a bit weird but fairly realistic. And generally a bit unpleasant. About someone dying, or making a bad decision that had a severe effect on my life.

I've always been quite imaginative and certainly I've always read imaginative literature. I find it interesting in a way that my dreams have tended to be a bit dull. Recently I hardly ever remember them and if I do they are not interesting, or they are mildly interesting but not very nice. I have friends who are very down-to-earth, very Sensor and avoid imaginative books etc like the plague, but they have lurid, gruesome, horror-movie dreams.

I wonder if I dream enough while awake that I fulfill that to a certain extent, or my life is adventurous enough already (I have had quite an adventurous life in a lot of ways). I am fascinated by dreams though - it's one reason why I loved Inception, there was much that I related to in my experience of dreaming. I do tend to have recurring dreams when things upset me or if I've broken off with someone and there's unfinished business - sometimes such people have walked in and out of my dreams for years.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Typically you don't know that it isn't real until you wake up. It's a retrospective thing - discovering that it wasn't real after the fact.

This is why lucid dreaming, being aware that you are dreaming while you are dreaming, is a rather exceptional and interesting thing.
    Is that a natural occuring experience?
    "May you live all the days of your life"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    More or less this for me. I remembered my dreams more when I was younger. Sometimes they were creative or exciting. There are some I had probably between the ages of 12 and 20 that I still remember details of. Even then, though, my dreams tended to be sort of...a bit weird but fairly realistic. And generally a bit unpleasant. About someone dying, or making a bad decision that had a severe effect on my life.

I've always been quite imaginative and certainly I've always read imaginative literature. I find it interesting in a way that my dreams have tended to be a bit dull. Recently I hardly ever remember them and if I do they are not interesting, or they are mildly interesting but not very nice. I have friends who are very down-to-earth, very Sensor and avoid imaginative books etc like the plague, but they have lurid, gruesome, horror-movie dreams.

I wonder if I dream enough while awake that I fulfill that to a certain extent, or my life is adventurous enough already (I have had quite an adventurous life in a lot of ways). I am fascinated by dreams though - it's one reason why I loved Inception, there was much that I related to in my experience of dreaming. I do tend to have recurring dreams when things upset me or if I've broken off with someone and there's unfinished business - sometimes such people have walked in and out of my dreams for years.
    Yeah, mine are pretty obviously me working through stuff I'm feeling anxious about: I had recurring dreams about driving when I was learning to drive. I dreamed I was naked and couldn't find my baby when I was pregnant.

I dreamed about three of my babies before they were born. The weird one was when I dreamed I was searching the hospital looking for my baby son and when I found him, he was hooked up to all kinds of medical equipment. It's similar to what ended up happening when he was born. It isn't a pleasant memory.

I can't remember a dream I've enjoyed. I can remember waking up having enjoyed a dream and then promptly forgetting it.

I don't think of myself as being particularly imaginative, but I live with two INTPs and an INFP, so maybe I am and don't know it. I do read or listen to a lot of fiction. I love stories more than just about anything.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yeah, I agree about the working through anxiety thing. I'd say the majority of dreams that I remember, certainly these days (and it's not many) are along those lines.) Sometimes it's very obvious what it is, sometimes less so but there's some theme of anxiety or upset over something.

I just wondered about the people I know who are almost repressively down-to-earth but then have some thrilling or shocking dreams, or they have them constantly. I do wonder if they're repressing that kind of impulse consciously and it breaks out in dreams.

I have had dreams which seemed like premonition, too. I dream that I get a certain type of news about someone, and then almost that thing happens in real life shortly after. I don't think it's exactly "premonition" but probably a sort of Ni movement in my mind, collecting indications and vibes and moments which I hardly notice consciously, but then releasing them into my dreams as something more accurate than what I might consciously have come up with. (Or sometimes it may be something I sort of know subconsciously, but it's unpleasant for me to face so I suppress it, and it comes out in dreams.)
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled1 View Post
    Is that a natural occuring experience?
    It's natural I guess, but not typical. Some people just fall into it by accident.

Most do not because the brain likes to believe what it sees if it seems real enough. This is why hallucinations can be so problematic. But there are ways to drop into an illusion without losing your awareness, for example going straight from an already lucid state to REM sleep - you still have your 'awake' wits while being asleep.

The other way is to gain awareness during the dream without waking, so that you go from a non lucid dream to a lucid one. Basically you figure it out that it isn't real while you're still asleep rather than having to wake up to figure it out.

What about dreaming of say having a relationship with someone and then have , feelings, for that person for days. Especially if it was a fickle person
    "May you live all the days of your life"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled1 View Post
    What about dreaming of say having a relationship with someone and then have , feelings, for that person for days. Especially if it was a fickle person
    It would make me look differently at them, or question my feelings for them. I think that's only ever happened to me with someone when I already had a slight inkling (even if very slight) that I might like them already.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING