MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default There's Nothing You Can Do About It

Two questions:

How do you feel when you hear this phrase?

Do you think there are types that are most prone to using this phrase?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer the first question, the phrase makes me want to cringe even though it may be true in some cases. I feel like all sense of hope has been shattered. Sometimes it can feel like someone saying it is trying to minimize the issue, especially when it's something important to me. I guess hearing the phrase really bothers me because I am so driven to improve the situation and find solutions.

I think people of all types use the phrase. I know I've been guilty of it even though I hate it when people say it to me. I only say it in situations though when I believe I have exhausted all options after a careful consideration. I suppose SJ types might be a little more prone to it. I'm guessing it's due to the inferior Ne so they might not see alternative possibilities as easily?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I tend to take that phrase as a personal challenge... there IS something I can do about it and it will be done

it tends not to be a good idea to tell me that I can't do something

I don't ever use that phrase... I'll tell them what they can do about the situation... no use in laying a guilt trip
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTP

Depends on the situation, but my typical response is "we'll just see about that, won't we?"

As to what types are likely to say it, I imagine J types would be more comfortable with the finality of the statement, whereas P types would generally feel stifled by it.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    To answer the first question, the phrase makes me want to cringe even though it may be true in some cases. I feel like all sense of hope has been shattered. Sometimes it can feel like someone saying it is trying to minimize the issue, especially when it's something important to me. I guess hearing the phrase really bothers me because I am so driven to improve the situation and find solutions.
    I hate the phrase for the same reasons you do. Feeling powerless to change something that needs changing, or to right a wrong, drives me absolutely nuts. I can't stand it.

I also dislike the exact phrase because when I've heard it used, it's been as a way of shutting someone down, when all they wanted to do was help. Doesn't seem fair to me. Of course, I'm biased, because when I've heard it used irl, it's usually been against me, when someone was venting at me, and I tried to problem-solve with them, when they didn't actually want a solution, but instead wanted to wallow in hopelessness. (Of all the people I've heard use the phrase, or variations of it, my INFJ mom is the worst about this.)

Edit: I just realized that I didn't fully answer the OP. When I hear the phrase, my first response is to be extremely skeptical (because everything has a solution) and pretty irritated (because I hate it when people make generalizations like that, at the cost of what is right), and then to either do research on my own to find the actual solution, or question the person with the information until they give it to me.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I tend to take that phrase as a personal challenge... there IS something I can do about it and it will be done

it tends not to be a good idea to tell me that I can't do something

I don't ever use that phrase... I'll tell them what they can do about the situation... no use in laying a guilt trip
    At the point at which I'm reasonable I guess I'd have to say that it depends on the situation but in the main my reaction would be the same as Whatever's here.

WALMART

My natural inclination to just about anything in life is to take the polar opposite stance of what's being presented.

The other day a waiter recommended not ordering a particular drink, so I did.

Someone's expressing their feelings about something? I naturally wanna walk over and smack their opinion down like a tower of Jenga blocks.

Telling me I can't do something is exactly in this line of thought. I will do it or make an ass of myself trying.

Glycerine

I think with most things, there is something that can be done. It's usually more about how much you want it.

Never heard of that phrase. Is it new?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    How do you feel when you hear this phrase?

Do you think there are types that are most prone to using this phrase? [/B]
    My first reaction to this phrase is usually: just watch me. At the risk of being a type snob, I would associate it more with S-types than N, due to N ability to brainstorm and think outside the proverbial box to recognize options that others hadn't even considered.

I am usually on the opposite side of this phrase, assuring someone else that there is indeed something they can do about their situation, if they are willing to make the effort, and take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    I think with most things, there is something that can be done. It's usually more about how much you want it.
    Exactly. People see more limitations than are actually there, and/or prefer to whine than to take action.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    People see more limitations than are actually there, and/or prefer to whine than to take action.
    The problem is when there's obviously something that they can do, but nothing you can do.

In my case, because I'm such a "doer" (much like you and whatever and Lark and others), it's usually pretty easy for me to find things that can be done, since I get no enjoyment from feeling helpless and I get a lot of enjoyment from solving problems and averting crises. But in most of the cases where I have felt helpless and like there really wasn't anything I could do about something, i.e. when someone has said that phrase to me and I've recognized it to be true, it's been when, even though I know what could/should be done, I'm not the person who can/should, but that person refuses to listen to me. OR if the person told me about a problem when it was far too late for it to be solved -- so, even though I knew what the solution would be, it didn't matter because the opportunity had come and gone, and no one had asked me for my input when it could have been useful.

This conversation reminds me that I really ought to have the serenity prayer framed on my wall.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!