User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: There's Nothing You Can Do About It

Freaking Ratchet Array Rail Tracer's Avatar

Reminds me of the saying "this is reality." And how just because it is reality, you'd need to accept it. It is such a defeatist attitude.

Always makes me want to combat it with "If You Don't like Something, Fix It"... or somewhere along those lines.

Yes, Maya Angelou has a line that is similar, but not exactly the reference point I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    My natural inclination to just about anything in life is to take the polar opposite stance of what's being presented.

The other day a waiter recommended not ordering a particular drink, so I did.

Someone's expressing their feelings about something? I naturally wanna walk over and smack their opinion down like a tower of Jenga blocks.

Telling me I can't do something is exactly in this line of thought. I will do it or make an ass of myself trying.
    You should not reply to this sentence about your quote.

Although I don't actually say it out loud, I'm quite often guilty of having a defeatist, "que sera sera" attitude. It just seems easier sometimes, to assume you're going to disappoint and be disappointed.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Anew Leaf

I either take it as a challenge, or I take it as a "girl, you gotta accept reality here." Sometimes the former precludes the latter.

I don't think there is a type that says this more often. I think it depends on the motivations behind the phrase how it is meant that could correspond to type in an extremely loose way. T types are probably more likely to say this phrase as a means to convey the information of "given the natural restraints of the laws of thermodynamics here, there is nothing that can be done to alter this situation."

I don't think I use this phrase very often, but I could and just not realize it. If I did/do use it, I think it would be because I was trying to help someone come to peace about a difficult situation.

If it's not true I'll prove it wrong.

If it is true I already knew it before they said something.

Edit: I've also used a similar phrase when appropriate but I try not to include the 'you' because that's kind of personal and almost accusatory at times. I'll say something like "there's nothing that can be done" or "we can't do anything about that" and I try to avoid it unless it's actually true and needs to be recognized.

I'm repeatedly told that there's nothing I can do about attempts to reinvent norms along the lines of what's fashionable, its a bit like capitalism and a lot of other things I'm told I can do nothing about, I dont think I need to do anything about it, it'll play out and I'm sure it'll sour and the shit will hit the fan all I have to do is wait and remain unswayed by vogues and fashionable opinions.

There are things which anyone can do something about, being prepared for the likely fallout from bad trends and the consequences of attempts to integrate or operate things which are a mess of contradictions which their biggest advocates cant admit to for different reasons.

Some of them are basic, being prepared for major corrections in prices, shortages, failures in just in time market supply and the abscence of any state response or other stabilising factor and all that's known, in the case of the economy, and not adding to the cultural confusion which is mounting daily by refraining from talking it up, in the case of other things.

I've good reason to believe the things I think are seriously ill advised are ill advised, sometimes I state those for people who're genuinely interested, in the past I just stated them and think now that that's been a mistake because it provides space and a platform for further discussion of what's an error, the more that is done, the more air time, space or platform its given the more credible it seems so some people.

Its a good idea to have a sense of perspective too because there's no better way to burn out than to get an exaggerated view of your own importance or ability to determine or halt things, especially grand scale things, like I've said before anyones sphere of concern is going to be greater than their actual sphere of influence.

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    T types are probably more likely to say this phrase as a means to convey the information of "given the natural restraints of the laws of thermodynamics here, there is nothing that can be done to alter this situation."
    Pointing out the inevitability of the laws of physics is not the same thing as saying there is nothing we can do. It just means we have to design our device differently, so thermodynamic considerations are no longer an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    The problem is when there's obviously something that they can do, but nothing you can do.
    Then I either try to force their hand if it affects me, or leave them to their troubles if it does not. I try to be helpful, but when someone won't even help themselves, there comes a point where it is necessary to cut one's losses and move on.

Now one phrase I do employ to good effect is, "There's nothing we need to do." By this I mean the other person is getting worked up about nothing, and what they are worrying about won't matter in the end.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere