123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default Eternal Sunshine?

Would you erase your painful memories?
    Why or why not?
    What do you think the long-term consequences are likely to be (for individuals as well as for society)?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012lj4m

If you can't reach the site, here's a summary:
    Captivated by the media headlines over the past few years claiming scientists can now 'erase bad memories', neuroscientist Dr Mark Lythgoe travels to New York to examine the latest research in memory modification.

Looking at work done in animals and humans Mark discovers how close scientists are to wholesale erasure of specific memories.

'We had that animal very well trained and then we erased that memory by injecting Zip in the motor region of the cortex, the memory was gone and the relearning process was not any quicker- it still took a week of slow learning to build that skill so that's why we think it really is a true erasure': Dr Todd Sacktor.

Near the site of Ground Zero he meets some of the people who have been victims of trauma to find out whether they would trade their distressing memories for memory erasure, and he talks to a victim of a violent armed robbery who believes memory manipulation has cured him of his Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Unravelling the ethical dilemmas involved in these technologies Mark asks what happens when we open this Pandora's box and people use memory modification to erase feelings of something bad they have done or something bad that has been done to them; eliminating memories like you would eliminate a headache, with a pill.

'I think the chances that eventually we will have a drug that will be able to reduce the emotional component of traumatic memories, I think there's a good chance that's going to happen sooner or later' Dr Roger Pitman.
    And a more in depth article.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelh...memory-enzyme/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Would you?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Yes. Without question. And in spite of believing it to be cowardly and perhaps even unethical.

Anew Leaf

Hmm, I remember thinking about this after I watched the movie "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind."

Would you erase your painful memories?
    There are things in my past that are extremely tempting to erase. However, I would not. One reason is that the good and bad and painful and beautiful of my life have created me into the person I am today. Where is my triumph in overcoming certain things without knowing what I triumphed over? A second reason is that doing this would be that the damage would still be there, but I would no longer know why.

What do you think the long-term consequences are likely to be (for individuals as well as for society)?
    Hmm, this is interesting. I have sympathy for people who would want to use this in order to erase things like: getting raped, seeing someone murdered, etc. But is the consequence a furthering of a society in which escapism/fantasy is all too easy to achieve? That would be my concern.

I say all of this this fully aware that the worst of what has happened to me, while earth shatting for my life, is not earth shattering for the human race.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Yes. Without question. And in spite of believing it to be cowardly and perhaps even unethical.

What would you erase? Why?

What if what you've gone through could help someone else? Maybe you have a unique perspective no one else has. What if someone like you had helped you ?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

No. I wouldn't be who I am without walking the path I did to get here. There is pride and satisfaction of triumph over the bad things. I more fully appreciate the good things. Additionally, I appreciate that there can be negative consequences to my actions. It's part of the learning process.

I think it's dangerous to just wipe out the bad things. What becomes of the good things if there is no bad? How would people cope with the bad things that happen in the future? They would have no coping skills if there is no memory of the bad.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Where is my triumph in overcoming certain things without knowing what I triumphed over?
    What's so great about triumph?
    A second reason is that doing this would be that the damage would still be there, but I would no longer know why.
    How do you know it would still be there?
    But is the consequence a furthering of a society in which escapism/fantasy is all too easy to achieve?
    What's wrong with escapism? What's wrong with it being easy?

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry
    What if what you've gone through could help someone else? Maybe you have a unique perspective no one else has. What if someone like you had helped you ?
    Why wouldn't they just choose to do the same thing? Having suffered something doesn't automatically make someone able to help others. Sometimes it makes them less able.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmommy View Post
    They would have no coping skills if there is no memory of the bad.
    Is that a good reason to suffer? Maybe they'd have less need of them.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

No, I would not. We understand so poorly how the mind works that I would not trust any such procedure.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    No, I would not. We understand so poorly how the mind works that I would not trust any such procedure.
    Actually, I wouldn't either (it's a drug, rather than a procedure). But let's say, hypothetically, there were no unfavourable side-effects...?

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post

Why wouldn't they just choose to do the same thing? Having suffered something doesn't automatically make someone able to help others. Sometimes it makes them less able.

I meant more for the during and after.

But you could be proactive too, in a variety of ways (tho I'm not knowing what it is you are referring to which is your most painful memories, if you use your imagination, I'm sure they are ways you can become part of the solution, so to speak. Or help prevent via some way some how the same thing you experienced)

Regarding the during and after: Just knowing how someone feels is huge. And seems to be one of the most comforting things for people when they are suffering/struggling. Being honest about how it feels--in the gamut of possibly ugly, embarrassing, shameful, vile things--is very validating. Because many who suffer have never been validated ever, and are in a place of feeling completely isolated in their feelings. Another powerful way of helping is that you are on the other side!! And they see that if you can do/go through what you have and still become a survivor and thrivor, then there is hope. And we know how important hope is. So, it's not that you need to anything heroic even, it's just being honest and showing others you CAN have a life of integrity even if you've gone through or done heinous things that you would rather not remember.....

Then there is always the more active listening/counseling/ministering if one feels called to such. There are no end to ways a survivor can help a victim. Anything painful enough you want to erase from your memory can be used to help someone else. And it's been said by other victims who have gone on to use their painful experiences to help others, that the end benefits to their lives in this new ability to sympathize/empathize/minister far surpasses any detriment they received or incurred in the thing itself.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com