First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Would you erase your painful memories?
    Why or why not?
    What do you think the long-term consequences are likely to be (for individuals as well as for society)?
    No. That would be like tearing out of my lab notebook the pages about experiments that failed. There are valuable lessons there that I wish to preserve, to assist in future activities. I suspect a long-term consequence to be that people would find it harder and take longer to learn from their mistakes.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    No. That would be like tearing out of my lab notebook the pages about experiments that failed. There are valuable lessons there that I wish to preserve, to assist in future activities. I suspect a long-term consequence to be that people would find it harder and take longer to learn from their mistakes.
    ha. Well yes, there's the whole "science lab" aspect as well.

I find my whole life to be a lab experiment, about which I am frantically jotting down my notes.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I guess I was trying to look more beyond my own life/experiences in answering this question - just more my views on it in general.

So given my current life, no, I wouldn't erase any of it, as I think I learned from everything that has happened in my life.

But had I been one of the many unfortunate souls who have grown up with physical abuse or intense emotional abuse, or had I been tortured, or had I been stuffed in a cellar for years, or had I been gang-raped in the congo? I really don't think those experiences would have helped me grow as a person, nor would it be necessary for me to hold onto those memories. And I certainly wouldn't blame anyone who experienced all of that for wanting to wipe them away.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    The answer writes itself.
    Lol. I see what you did there.
    Not really, for me though. I always think of triumph as a petty kind of emotion.

Because the damage is already done and entwined into all sorts of nooks and crannies of the brain. Just because you remove the trunk of a tree doesn't mean the roots follow.
    "Damage"? We are talking about a discrete memory. One has to assume it is stored in a discrete set of neurons and not "all over the brain". Though it does raise interesting questions about "cellular memory".

In small doses, escapism is healthy. Beyond moderation, it isn't healthy.
    I don't see this as being immoderate. Alcoholism is immoderate. This is more like removing a ill-advised tattoo.
    I like take-backs.
    I really, really do.

why is life supposed to be easy? What of value that is easy to achieve is then valued by its owner?
    Life would still be as difficult as ever. But with fewer distractions...

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    *shrug* I guess. I mean, I have trouble understanding why you don't seem bothered by it, it's just how I am.
    Because I believe I am more than the sum of my experiences. I am the book. And I am also the author. Memories are just fragments of chapters. I can edit them at will. I do edit them at will - we all do. Our memory is not a repository of truth. It's a bunch of distorted, fragmented perceptions, phrases at best.

(And with regards to that, there were a few people who would press me with questions like, "If you could take a pill and immediately feel happy as who you are right this moment, why wouldn't you do it?!" and all I could say is that I'd feel like I was lying about who I was. I would be someone else entirely. I'd be murdering my current self and being a completely different person. It just didn't seem right, to me.)
    This is different. It's directly, chemically altering (permanently) your personality. As is taking anti-depressants. I don't see these things as in any way equivalent. Removing a memory is like excising a tumour. Happy pills are just palliatives.

For cinematic references, consider themes in Memento (Lenny's kind of just a loose cannon and otherwise "trapped" in the current moment, with no possibility of long-term goal or connection) or Dark City....
    Again, different. Amnesia is a loss of identity not just isolated memories. We all forget stuff over time without jeopardising our identities (Alzheimer's aside).

Anaesthetists routinely give patients drugs which prevent memory formation - so that if the patient feels anything during surgery, they won't be able to remember it - i.e. it never really happened. Would you consider that a lie too?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ha. Well yes, there's the whole "science lab" aspect as well.
    This appeals to me. I hate that they do this to animals experimentally. But I would be cool with having my memory "backed up", then wiped. What would that feel like? I'd love to know. As long as I could get back to "myself", if I chose. What if you could choose to be somebody else for a weekend? That would be cool. Especially if you could integrate those experiences. You'd learn self-awareness exponentially.
    You could also easily find ways to abuse such a system of course - guilt-free transgression, for example.

Memories are anchoring. And being anchored to anything has never really been a priority for me. It's the freedom offered by this technology that appeals to me, I suppose. Because I believe everything that happens is random and arbitrary, I see no reason not to randomly interfere with my past at least as much as my future. It's a way, the only way, to subvert the unidirectional arrow of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

That movie always made me fall asleep. And no, I would not erase my painful memories. Feeling pain reminds me of what I've been through and what a tough, crazy bitch I am.
    ( . )( . )

Anew Leaf

@Salomé
    Lol. I see what you did there.
    Not really, for me though. I always think of triumph as a petty kind of emotion.
    *checks with herself* There is nothing petty about this moment.

"Damage"? We are talking about a discrete memory. One has to assume it is stored in a discrete set of neurons and not "all over the brain". Though it does raise interesting questions about "cellular memory".
    Recently there was concern about if we deleted people's posting accounts that we would have swiss cheesed threads. Now we are considering swiss cheesing our brains. It's mildly alarming.

Life would still be as difficult as ever. But with fewer distractions...
    I think we are discounting all of the positives that negatives give to our lives. I sincerely doubt that life would be as difficult if we could just snap our fingers and forget unpleasant events. Maybe it starts with rape/war memories, and then the next thing it's the new cosmetic surgery. Break up with your boyfriend? No big deal! Just pay $20 bucks and forget him! And then on your way home run into him and do it all over again. Or something like that.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

No I wouldn't... It seems as tho all the good associated with the bad would go too and then id be empty.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ

What were we talking about again?

MBTI
    INFJ

Now, to be serious and stuff:

I think erasing a memory is like cutting off your arm just because you broke it.

Or put it another way, it's a victim's perspective. "Things happen to me and make me feel this way."
    That's like going through life under inertia and not really taking command of yourself.

Suffering exists and if you just erase it rather than taking command of it, you only make yourself oblivious to your own victim mentality. Things will still continue to happen to you. How many memories will you erase?

WALMART

No. I possess no memories that have pending burden on my mind.